NY Mets 2024 Season

Another Fan

17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It will be interesting to see what the trade deadline brings - especially after how it was handled last year. We're only a few games out of a playoff spot but we also have the 3rd worst record in the league. 

Grimace's streak lives on 😅

22 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan @ExWNYer

Are any of you aware that the Mets haven't lost since the Grimace threw out the first pitch at a game earlier this week?  I wasn't aware that the Grimace was still a thing let alone that he threw out a first pitch recently.

I had the good fortune of attending the game Friday night making me 1-3 in person this year. Mostly a non-descript game, but me and the fam got to the stadium early and had prime viewing during the rain delay. Watching the crew pull the tarp off the field was fascinating. We also got the trumpets when Edwin came in for the save and ultimately he sealed the deal. Good times.

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah I think it was Edwin’s first save in a month.  It’s kind of sad I felt ecstatic and relived to see him get the job done Friday night but it is what it is.

I did see that online about Grimace.

Im not deluding myself into thinking we a got a good team this year but the reality is the Mets are only 2.5 games back of the playoffs.  I think there’s a chance a team under .500 makes the playoff cut in the NL this year.  

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It will be interesting to see what the trade deadline brings - especially after how it was handled last year. We're only a few games out of a playoff spot but we also have the 3rd worst record in the league. 

@Gugny

Happy Father's Day, gents. I hope you all had a great day either with your kids, your dads, or both (if you're lucky).

I had not heard that about Grimace @SinceThe70s. That's funny. I also didn't know that Grimace was still a thing but it's comforting to know that some things from our childhood still remain. lol

IMO, there is more than a good chance that a team below .500 makes the playoffs this year, @Another Fan Entering play today, there were only four teams in the NL with a record above .500. With their win today, the Cards got to .500 and with their win, the Natalies got to within one game of .500. Interestingly, there were only seven AL teams with records above .500. There are a handful of powerhouse teams right now (Dodgers...yawn, Skanks...ugh, & Phils...puke....Go O's!) and everybody else. This is a bizarre year. I can't watch a Skanks/Philthies WS. I...just...can't.

Speaking of bizarre, our beloved and schizophrenic Mets have had a bizarre and confounding season, even by Mets standards. After their 0-5 start to the season, they went 12-3 over the next two weeks and then fell right back into the toilet and fully into the sewer until this latest two week stretch where they've won nine of their last eleven and gone 11-4 overall to get within four games of .500 themselves. I don't believe much in the power of "players only meetings" but the team has gone on this mini-run since Lindor called the meeting. Maybe there was some merit to it...or maybe it was Grimace...or maybe...just maybe, this band of overpaid misfits is finally starting to play up to the backs of their baseball cards. Whatever the case, I just hope it continues and they decide to add to this roster rather than sell for the second straight year. Color me cautiously optimistic but still skeptical. Two, two-week stretches months apart are still not enough to get me to buy in all the way. But it's been an entertaining two weeks. And welcome back from the dead, Edwin Diaz.

LGM!

image.png.cb9f98f22bb15b26bbf779a4e8976844.png

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny

Happy Father's Day, gents. I hope you all had a great day either with your kids, your dads, or both (if you're lucky).

I had not heard that about Grimace @SinceThe70s. That's funny. I also didn't know that Grimace was still a thing but it's comforting to know that some things from our childhood still remain. lol

IMO, there is more than a good chance that a team below .500 makes the playoffs this year, @Another Fan Entering play today, there were only four teams in the NL with a record above .500. With their win today, the Cards got to .500 and with their win, the Natalies got to within one game of .500. Interestingly, there were only seven AL teams with records above .500. There are a handful of powerhouse teams right now (Dodgers...yawn, Skanks...ugh, & Phils...puke....Go O's!) and everybody else. This is a bizarre year. I can't watch a Skanks/Philthies WS. I...just...can't.

Speaking of bizarre, our beloved and schizophrenic Mets have had a bizarre and confounding season, even by Mets standards. After their 0-5 start to the season, they went 12-3 over the next two weeks and then fell right back into the toilet and fully into the sewer until this latest two week stretch where they've won nine of their last eleven and gone 11-4 overall to get within four games of .500 themselves. I don't believe much in the power of "players only meetings" but the team has gone on this mini-run since Lindor called the meeting. Maybe there was some merit to it...or maybe it was Grimace...or maybe...just maybe, this band of overpaid misfits is finally starting to play up to the backs of their baseball cards. Whatever the case, I just hope it continues and they decide to add to this roster rather than sell for the second straight year. Color me cautiously optimistic but still skeptical. Two, two-week stretches months apart are still not enough to get me to buy in all the way. But it's been an entertaining two weeks. And welcome back from the dead, Edwin Diaz.

LGM!

image.png.cb9f98f22bb15b26bbf779a4e8976844.png

Tremendous post. To cap off Fathers day I'll share a pic of my two boys from Friday night. Good times.

TheBoys.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

@SinceThe70s @Gugny @ExWNYer

Good morning.  It’s certainly an interesting spot I find the team in and not one I ever thought was possible last month.  Just kicked the Yankees butt and are back to .500 and right there for the 3rd wildcard.

Grimace effect or what but do you mess with shaking things up now come trading deadline? 

21 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Good morning.  It’s certainly an interesting spot I find the team in and not one I ever thought was possible last month.  Just kicked the Yankees butt and are back to .500 and right there for the 3rd wildcard.

Grimace effect or what but do you mess with shaking things up now come trading deadline? 

I still think they need to think long-term. 

Trade whoever is not going to be part of the future now and get something for them. 

Definitely still need to be sellers.

As weak as the NL is, we could get rid of Alonso and Severino (at the very least) and still make a wild card run.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Trade whoever is not going to be part of the future now and get something for them. 

As weak as the NL is, we could get rid of Alonso and Severino (at the very least) and still make a wild card run.  

By all accounts it will be a sellers market so if they decide to part ways with Alonso or Severino at the deadline they should bring back some nice pieces. The trade deadline is still over a month away and as we've seen in the past month a lot can change, but as it stands right now the only way I'd move either of those players is if it brought back a top top prospect.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

By all accounts it will be a sellers market so if they decide to part ways with Alonso or Severino at the deadline they should bring back some nice pieces. The trade deadline is still over a month away and as we've seen in the past month a lot can change, but as it stands right now the only way I'd move either of those players is if it brought back a top top prospect.

I would like to see at least two top prospects (one for each). 

Other than pitching, we will need a 3B (this is taking almost as long as it’s taken to replace Piazza) and a 1B (was Delgado our last legit 1B?  Does Duda count?).  

We need to get some young guys in trades and spend some cash on decent position players. 

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I would like to see at least two top prospects (one for each). 

Other than pitching, we will need a 3B (this is taking almost as long as it’s taken to replace Piazza) and a 1B (was Delgado our last legit 1B?  Does Duda count?).  

We need to get some young guys in trades and spend some cash on decent position players. 

It's been a fun month of June and ,kicking the living crap out of the Skanks was the cherry on top. This team is finally hitting. Coming into the year, the thought was that they would score but have issues with the pitching. The present iteration of this team is about what was expected for the year by Vegas sharps...a few games over .500. They are as likely as anyone right now to secure one of the Wild Card spots. This weekend's series with the resurgent Astros will be a good litmus test.

If they continue anything like this the rest of the way, I wouldn't deal anyone and would look to bring in a couple of low cost arms to supplement the bullpen, hope to get a WC, and maybe a Round 1 victory. A 2023 Diamondbacks-like run would be fun. Regardless, I wouldn't be attempting to upgrade at the cost of any top-end prospects and that's not Stearns' m.o. anyway. If they begin to falter, I would definitely sell off some pieces to get assets who could eventually be part of a younger core or who could shipped out for a "big fish" for the core. I'm not giving away Alonso or Severino for pennies on the dollar. If somebody is not willing to pay up for them, I would ride it out until the end of the season. At least we're having fun again and that's all I asked heading into the year.

LGM!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

It's been a fun month of June and ,kicking the living crap out of the Skanks was the cherry on top. This team is finally hitting. Coming into the year, the thought was that they would score but have issues with the pitching. The present iteration of this team is about what was expected for the year by Vegas sharps...a few games over .500. They are as likely as anyone right now to secure one of the Wild Card spots. This weekend's series with the resurgent Astros will be a good litmus test.

If they continue anything like this the rest of the way, I wouldn't deal anyone and would look to bring in a couple of low cost arms to supplement the bullpen, hope to get a WC, and maybe a Round 1 victory. A 2023 Diamondbacks-like run would be fun. Regardless, I wouldn't be attempting to upgrade at the cost of any top-end prospects and that's not Stearns' m.o. anyway. If they begin to falter, I would definitely sell off some pieces to get assets who could eventually be part of a younger core or who could shipped out for a "big fish" for the core. I'm not giving away Alonso or Severino for pennies on the dollar. If somebody is not willing to pay up for them, I would ride it out until the end of the season. At least we're having fun again and that's all I asked heading into the year.

LGM!

Well put. 

The only part I'll push back on is the Astros series being a litmus test. With the exception of the Phillies I think the Mets have held up well against the better teams. Winning the Astros series will be awesome, but if we lose it I won't sweat it. We're due to lose a series and if it comes at the hands of a talented team that's on a heater so be it. 

BTW, strong early season call on the need for a DH and J.D. Martinez. I was OK with the mix and match approach but J.D. has been a difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well put. 

The only part I'll push back on is the Astros series being a litmus test. With the exception of the Phillies I think the Mets have held up well against the better teams. Winning the Astros series will be awesome, but if we lose it I won't sweat it. We're due to lose a series and if it comes at the hands of a talented team that's on a heater so be it. 

BTW, strong early season call on the need for a DH and J.D. Martinez. I was OK with the mix and match approach but J.D. has been a difference maker.

I agree with you that i won't sweat it either if they drop this weekend series. I guess what I meant by litmus test is that the Astros are as hot as the Mets right now so I'd like to see how they fare against their mirror image at the moment. I'm still worried about the bullpen holding up for the next eight games with Diaz (dumbass) and Drew Smith out. The offense needs to continue to rake to give the arms some wiggle room.

Thanks for the J.D. Martinez kudos. It may not have been my original idea but I was 100% for it, as you know. Something I wanted actually worked out. lol This team would be nowhere without his bat and veteran leadership. He's been a godsend. Also, it's amazing how much better the pitching staff has been with Francisco Alvarez in the lineup. The kid can hit and handles the staff like a dream. He's on his way to becoming a superstar.

Lastly, a fun tidbit...the HR celebration song the Mets' Jose Iglesias wrote ('OMG' by Candelita) that they're playing after victories at home, drops/begins streaming on Friday, June 28th at 4:00 PM (social media, YouTube, Spotify). LGM!  😎

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

My 22-year old son (diehard Mets fan) and I are headed to Pittsburgh early tomorrow morning. We'll be taking in the Mets games on Sunday (1:35 PM EST) & Monday (12:35 PM EST) at PNC Park. We've been to MLB games at Sahlen Field (Rays & Blue Jays) and at Rogers Centre (Tigers & Blue Jays) but this will be his first time seeing the Mets in person. Send positive vibes our way fellas! LGM!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

My 22-year old son (diehard Mets fan) and I are headed to Pittsburgh early tomorrow morning. We'll be taking in the Mets games on Sunday (1:35 PM EST) & Monday (12:35 PM EST) at PNC Park. We've been to MLB games at Sahlen Field (Rays & Blue Jays) and at Rogers Centre (Tigers & Blue Jays) but this will be his first time seeing the Mets in person. Send positive vibes our way fellas! LGM!!!

Have you been to Pittsburgh ever?

My Dad and I went there last year.  For vacation, not to see the Mets.  

While we enjoyed the city I founded navigating the roads there was a pain.  Lots of hills and bridges.  

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Have you been to Pittsburgh ever?

My Dad and I went there last year.  For vacation, not to see the Mets.  

While we enjoyed the city I founded navigating the roads there was a pain.  Lots of hills and bridges.  

I was there in 1987 to see the Mets at Three Rivers Stadium. The tickets were like $8. 😂 I still have the ticket stubs somewhere. I went to Pittsburgh again in the 1990s but not to see any sporting events. My brother-in-law is a diehard Stiller & Pirate fan. He goes quite often and already told me that the exits and bridges are confusing as hell so I will be contending with that, as well. Ugh...

I have wanted to see PNC Park so hopefully the Mets don't let us down. Thank God we were not there Friday night. Yikes. Good to see Diaz back and we should get to see Alvarez on Sunday as Torrens caught today and had a good game. He's been their best backup catcher in ages and they got him from the Skanks for cash.

Edited by ExWNYer

13 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I was there in 1987 to see the Mets at Three Rivers Stadium. The tickets were like $8. 😂 I still have the ticket stubs somewhere. I went to Pittsburgh again in the 1990s but not to see any sporting events. My brother-in-law is a diehard Stiller & Pirate fan. He goes quite often and already told me that the exits and bridges are confusing as hell so I will be contending with that, as well. Ugh...

I have wanted to see PNC Park so hopefully the Mets don't let us down. Thank God we were not there Friday night. Yikes. Good to see Diaz back and we should get to see Alvarez on Sunday as Torrens caught today and had a good game. He's been their best backup catcher in ages and they got him from the Skanks for cash.

I drove past it and it looked like a beautiful park.  I’ve heard nothing but good things about as well.  And I can’t imagine Pirates fans in attendance being hostile so you guys should have a good time.

Yeah it was summer when we went there.  It was funny after we got there I realized the Steelers were actually playing the Bills that week.  It was the preseason.  While I still say unbiasedly the Bills have the most passionate fanbase in the NFL….  I was definitely impressed for just a pre season game how many Steelers jerseys and shirts I saw around at the hotel and what not.  

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Outstanding, enjoy! 

Just yesterday me and my sons were talking about ballparks we've been to and which ones we'd like to visit and we agreed that PNC is top of the list. We've been to Fenway, Wrigley, Camden, Oracle (Giants) and the Nats. Only the Giants was against the Mets. 

Hope you both have a great time and the Mets go 2-0!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Outstanding, enjoy! 

Just yesterday me and my sons were talking about ballparks we've been to and which ones we'd like to visit and we agreed that PNC is top of the list. We've been to Fenway, Wrigley, Camden, Oracle (Giants) and the Nats. Only the Giants was against the Mets. 

Hope you both have a great time and the Mets go 2-0!

Thanks! I have been to the old Three Rivers Stadium (yuck), Rogers Centre/Skydome (beautiful view of the Toronto skyline), Nationals Park (meh), Camden Yards (GORGEOUS!), & now PNC Park. Two years ago we were in California wine country and were in San Francisco when the Mets were playing the Giants at Oracle Park. I wanted so badly to go but our agenda was already full and I was the only Met fan in the bunch. Oracle was/is on my bucket list and it's supposed to be up there with Camden & PNC Park so I was a little bummed in not going but I think the Mets were swept in that series anyway. Would love to go to Wrigley & Fenway someday. I was staying with some friends of friends in Boston in 1994 who lived in a place with a view of the Citgo sign at Fenway but we did not get to a game. I'm not sure if they were even in town. I was there to see the Bills narrowly beat the Pats* in a shootout at Foxboro. I believe it was Drew Bledsoe's rookie season with New England.

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Thanks! I have been to the old Three Rivers Stadium (yuck), Rogers Centre/Skydome (beautiful view of the Toronto skyline), Nationals Park (meh), Camden Yards (GORGEOUS!), & now PNC Park. Two years ago we were in California wine country and were in San Francisco when the Mets were playing the Giants at Oracle Park. I wanted so badly to go but our agenda was already full and I was the only Met fan in the bunch. Oracle was/is on my bucket list and it's supposed to be up there with Camden & PNC Park so I was a little bummed in not going but I think the Mets were swept in that series anyway. Would love to go to Wrigley & Fenway someday. I was staying with some friends of friends in Boston in 1994 who lived in a place with a view of the Citgo sign at Fenway but we did not get to a game. I'm not sure if they were even in town. I was there to see the Bills narrowly beat the Pats* in a shootout at Foxboro. I believe it was Drew Bledsoe's rookie season with New England.

We don't go out of our way to visit ballparks, but any time we travel we'll check to see if there's a game. The exception was Wrigley - wifey knew I always wanted to go there and she suggested a Chicago vacay that included a game.

We had a similar story with Oracle but with a luckier ending. Planned a west coast trip where we flew in to LA, drove up the coast and planned a weekend in SF. Completely lucked into the fact that the Mets were in town and saw Thor dominate and Yoenis hit a late 2 run HR for the 2-0 win. Good times.

This summer we're headed up to Montreal and Quebec. Was hoping to squeeze in a CFL game but timing is off. Son wanted to hit up a Toronto game, but couldn't make that work either. 

Looking forward to hearing about your PNC trip.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 10:03 PM, ExWNYer said:

Hey, how'd this day turn out? 

I'm re-reading these posts now.  I think the Mets won that day if I recall right in Pittsburgh.

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Hey, how'd this day turn out? 

I'm re-reading these posts now.  I think the Mets won that day if I recall right in Pittsburgh.

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Great! Thanks. Yes, you're correct. The Mets won that Sunday game, 3-2. The Mets were up, 1-0, in the bottom of the 8th with two outs and runners on when Mendoza brought in Edwin Diaz to try and get a four out save. When they brought him in I turned to my son and said, "I hope we din't watch them cling to a 1-0 lead all day only to see Diaz blow this..." Sure enough, he gave up a two run single and the Mets trailed, 2-1, heading to the 9th. <*Note to Mendoza* Don't bring him in with traffic on the bags. He's much better coming into a 'clean' inning. He needs a margin for error.> Luckily, the they rallied for two runs in the top of the inning and Diaz pitched a perfect bottom of the 9th. Exciting but stressful and, ultimately, the result we wanted.

Since the Monday game was at 12:35 PM, we decided to go to that one, as well. It was a good game thru the top of the 6th when we saw Brandon Nimmo hit a two run HR to tie the game at 2-2 but the wheels fell off in the bottom of the inning when Pittsburgh plated five runs and eventually won, 8-2. Mitch Keller pitched that game for the Pirates so we were not expecting a win but still hoping.

All in all, a great experience and a gorgeous ballpark with beautiful sight lines. I would highly recommend catching a game there, if you ever get a chance. Pittsburgh is a nice smaller city, too. After the Sunday game, we walked over the Roberto Clemente/6th Street bridge into Pittsburgh and went to a Primanti Brothers in Market Square to eat and grab a beer. Our hotel was literally across the street from PNC Park so it was a nice walk. We took a bunch of pics after Sunday's game, including on and of the bridges (it is 'The City of Bridges', after all) and with the statues of Willie 'Pops' Stargell and Roberto Clemente. Clemente's statue is near the foot of the bridge named for him, a few yards before you cross. Both statues are outside the stadium over the outfield wall.

These two pics are of my younger son and me. Both pics are after the 3-2 win on Sunday. First pic is in the park after the game. In the background is the Pittsburgh skyline. Second pic is of us on the Roberto Clemente bridge on our walk to Primanti Brothers with the Ft. Duquesne bridge in the background. We are facing the Andy Warhol bridge. I made a wardrobe change because it was a very warm day. The black shirt is my David Wright t-shirt. My son is in a faded and worn but original 1986 World Series Champions t-shirt that wouldn't come close to fitting me now. lol LGM!

image.png.c7b60f1c36317882ee3755341218e5f7.png  image.png.cfe36fbae4b4b606b652d7a73b6029d2.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Great! Thanks. Yes, you're correct. The Mets won that Sunday game, 3-2. The Mets were up, 1-0, in the bottom of the 8th with two outs and runners on when Mendoza brought in Edwin Diaz to try and get a four out save. When they brought him in I turned to my son and said, "I hope we din't watch them cling to a 1-0 lead all day only to see Diaz blow this..." Sure enough, he gave up a two run single and the Mets trailed, 2-1, heading to the 9th. <*Note to Mendoza* Don't bring him in with traffic on the bags. He's much better coming into a 'clean' inning. He needs a margin for error.> Luckily, the they rallied for two runs in the top of the inning and Diaz pitched a perfect bottom of the 9th. Exciting but stressful and, ultimately, the result we wanted.

Since the Monday game was at 12:35 PM, we decided to go to that one, as well. It was a good game thru the top of the 6th when we saw Brandon Nimmo hit a two run HR to tie the game at 2-2 but the wheels fell off in the bottom of the inning when Pittsburgh plated five runs and eventually won, 8-2. Mitch Keller pitched that game for the Pirates so we were not expecting a win but still hoping.

All in all, a great experience and a gorgeous ballpark with beautiful sight lines. I would highly recommend catching a game there, if you ever get a chance. Pittsburgh is a nice smaller city, too. After the Sunday game, we walked over the Roberto Clemente/6th Street bridge into Pittsburgh and went to a Primanti Brothers in Market Square to eat and grab a beer. Our hotel was literally across the street from PNC Park so it was a nice walk. We took a bunch of pics after Sunday's game, including on and of the bridges (it is 'The City of Bridges', after all) and with the statues of Willie 'Pops' Stargell and Roberto Clemente. Clemente's statue is near the foot of the bridge named for him, a few yards before you cross. Both statues are outside the stadium over the outfield wall.

These two pics are of my younger son and me. Both pics are after the 3-2 win on Sunday. First pic is in the park after the game. In the background is the Pittsburgh skyline. Second pic is of us on the Roberto Clemente bridge on our walk to Primanti Brothers with the Ft. Duquesne bridge in the background. We are facing the Andy Warhol bridge. I made a wardrobe change because it was a very warm day. The black shirt is my David Wright t-shirt. My son is in a faded and worn but original 1986 World Series Champions t-shirt that wouldn't come close to fitting me now. lol LGM!

image.png.c7b60f1c36317882ee3755341218e5f7.png  image.png.cfe36fbae4b4b606b652d7a73b6029d2.png

Very cool.

Ive been to Pittsburgh but not the baseball stadium.  I liked the city as well.  It was just a pain to navigate because as you mentioned all the bridges! 

• Like (+1) 1