Congress to apoligize for lynchings

Why are they doing this today?

Except for Robert Byrd (KKK-WV), nobody in Congress was in a group that did lychings. I doubt he will be at the press conference.

Why are they doing this today?

Except for Robert Byrd (KKK-WV), nobody in Congress was in a group that did lychings.  I doubt he will be at the press conference.

356991[/snapback]

Because something like 200 bills were introduced early in the century for banning lynching. Only one made it to the floor...and didn't pass.

I'd say that's worth an apology. I'd also say it's worth an apology from the people who are actually responsible for it...so dig 'em up and get 'em to apologize. Don't waste Congress' time with this...they have more important things to do, like voting on bills to declare next Tuesday as "National Mucous Awareness Day" or something... ;)

Aren't anti-lynching laws like the modern day "hate crime" laws? It's murder. Prosecute it to the fullest extent. More laws aren't going to make any difference if its prosecuted correctly.

Aren't anti-lynching laws like the modern day "hate crime" laws? It's murder. Prosecute it to the fullest extent. More laws aren't going to make any difference if its prosecuted correctly.

357075[/snapback]

Two different things. Murder only makes a victim out of one person. Hate crimes make a victim out of everyone.

;)

More laws aren't going to make any difference if its prosecuted correctly.

357075[/snapback]

Hey. Enough of that kind of talk. This makes way too much sense to be posted here.

Of course, maybe we can get VABills to start another government program to legislate behavior. ;)

IMO, there is nothing more pointless than government apologizing for things that were done decades or centuries ago.

I guess there aren't any problems TODAY that need attention.  ;)

356999[/snapback]

Thousands of Chinese and South Koreans erupted in protest two months ago when Japan issued new textbooks proclaiming the Rape of Nanking was just an "incident," and took out references of the Japanese army's "comfort women" policies. South Korea and Japan are now in a major diplomatic tiff, and China is fighting to keep Japan off the UN Security Council. And all this is happening while we're trying to deal with Kim Jong Il.

Apologies matter.

Hey. Enough of that kind of talk. This makes way too much sense to be posted here.

Of course, maybe we can get VABills to start another government program to legislate behavior.  ;)

357118[/snapback]

Don't get started or I'll shove one of those reiki needles up your ass.

Murder is only murder when it's both victim and perp are the same race, creed, color, or sex.  That's why we have a Congress - to teach us that we're all different - just like everyone else.

;)

357103[/snapback]

Well how ELSE are we going to achieve a 'colorblind society'??? :huh:;)

Thousands of Chinese and South Koreans erupted in protest two months ago when Japan issued new textbooks proclaiming the Rape of Nanking was just an "incident," and took out references of the Japanese army's "comfort women" policies.  South Korea and Japan are now in a major diplomatic tiff, and China is fighting to keep Japan off the UN Security Council. And all this is happening while we're trying to deal with Kim Jong Il.

Apologies matter.

357182[/snapback]

No they don't. Not when the generation responsible is for the most part DEAD.

That's the kind of asinine "lahjik" that has weakened western culture.