Bills Mafia Book Club!

TheyCallMeAndy

On 7/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, Orlando Buffalo said:

I just read persuader also, which I think works well for the show, lots of places to stop an episode. I read mostly fluff unless my wife tells something historical is good, I have read all the Reacher books, all the James Patterson books, all the Preston and Childs books, and all the Harlan Coben books. Not one serious thought throughout all of it but it is nice to relax the brain before sleeping. My son is actually the most prolific reader I have ever met, in middle school he reads so many books that they had to stop recording his on the class wall, I believe because some other parents stated he couldn't have read them all.  

Red rising and storm light archives are two series he has recently read that he says are well done series.

I read the first Red Rising, definitely want to continue on that series. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fiction guy.

My favorite three:

Undaunted Courage, Stephen Ambrose.   The story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Simply incredible. I also like it because I'm a Jefferson fan, and he was responsible for it. As well, both Lewis and Clark are from where I now live and Lewis was born on the same road I live on.

Shattered Sword. Jonathan Parshall.  The best book on the Midway battle, which changed WWII in the Pacific.

The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Richard Rhodes.  I got this because I had forgotten the physics involved, and wanted to review. The book was so much more. Way, way better than Oppenheimer, which I didn't find interesting at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Playing From the Rough written by Jimmie James.  It was about his pursuit of playing the Top 100 Golf courses in America in one year so it instantly appealed to me as a golf nut but it was also about so much more as he grew up in poverty and dealt with racism in the 60s.  So this book was a reflection piece as he details how he came from such a background of exclusion but advanced his way to being a top executive at Exxon and was able to play the most privileged golf courses in America.  A very fascinating and inspiring story.

Just read Slow Horses by Mick Herron. Excellent spy fiction (the books that form the basis of the Gary Oldman vehicle on Apple+). 

Finishing off To the Lighthouse by Woolf. Good read, but not exactly my thing.

Have recently finished a couple of non fiction books - Factfulness by Hans Rosling and Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker. Excellent books that show the world is improving (as opposed to the daily grind of sensational news stories that might make it seem otherwise). Both are full of facts and figures to show a more optimistic future than you might think. They also do point out there is still a lot of bad things in the world, just less than before.

Most recently I have read "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip Dick. I was aware that the book only covered a small part of the TV series, but I was still a bit disappointed. I very much liked the added story lines of the TV program.  

I'm about half way through "The Price: What It Takes to Win in College Football's Era of Chaos."  Very good book and as a fan of college football, I weep for its future.  NIL, transfer portal, conference realignment...it's all in there.  Very eye opening and highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063345250?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

I used to seriously read a book a day, however, now i just play games on my cell when i have some free time.

I used to be able to sit and read for hours.  Now just the thought of picking up a book seems like a chore.  I have hundreds of books in my bookcases to read still.  

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I used to be able to sit and read for hours.  Now just the thought of picking up a book seems like a chore.  I have hundreds of books in my bookcases to read still.  

I had a massive book collection that i ended up giving away when i got my Kobo and Kindle E-readers. I mean, i could easily fit 3000 books on each one, so it made it more convenient to travel around with.