Natalie Holloway confirmed dead

The lack of empathy in this thread for the victim is disturbing.

356856[/snapback]

Two teenagers were murdered over the weekend in the DC region - no apparent gang relations, no apparent reason. One stabbed at a party trying to mediate a fight, another gunned down in the street for reasons I have yet to hear.

Am I supposed to have more or less empathy for them over Ms. Holloway because they haven't been in the national news?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the male college student from central Pennsyltucky who was lost for 2 months and then found in the Hudson river?

Ah yes, white male, grungy looking character.  Not as important as young, blonde bimbo from either the south and/or religious family.

;)  :huh:  ;)

356166[/snapback]

Just for the record, this young lady is hardly a "Bimbo". She is an honor student with a full scholarship to The University of Alabama to study medicine. From the angry tone of your post, it looks like you have a bias against people from the South or who may attend church. Stereotyping is stupid. I certainly would not put you in the "Dumb" category because of your last name.

Jim

Not to sound to crude but:

High School Student goes to bar and disappears and  it is 24/7 news.

A coup d'etat happens in Haiti or Bolivia and not one reporter is sent there.

356898[/snapback]

Not to sound crude but Americans, me included, care more about a hot chick who disappeared under suspicious circumstances than it does about the hundreth rebel uprising in Haiti and Bolivia.

Two teenagers were murdered over the weekend in the DC region - no apparent gang relations, no apparent reason.  One stabbed at a party trying to mediate a fight, another gunned down in the street for reasons I have yet to hear.

Am I supposed to have more or less empathy for them over Ms. Holloway because they haven't been in the national news?

356897[/snapback]

I stated how I felt about this thread. I'm not here to tell you how you can feel.

I'm sure the family of the girl would rather not have the media barking on their doorstep right now either.

But, the fact is a girl died and Fox chose to cover it. I couldn't imagine the families grief. My heart goes out to them as well as anyone who loses a child. The bottom line, it happens in the inner city all the time. This doesn't happen all the time. Why do plane crashes get covered so much but car crashes don't? Geez monkey, use your coconut.

I stated how I felt about this thread. I'm not here to tell you how you can feel.

I'm sure the family of the girl would rather not have the media barking on their doorstep right now either.

But, the fact is a girl died and Fox chose to cover it. I couldn't imagine the families grief. My heart goes out to them as well as anyone who loses a child. The bottom line, it happens in the inner city all the time. This doesn't happen all the time. Why do plane crashes get covered so much but car crashes don't? Geez monkey, use your coconut.

357020[/snapback]

You're right, it doesn't happen all the time that girls are kidnapped and murdered in Aruba...but it does happen with alarming frequency that girls are kidnapped and murdered.

So the story here is that it happened in Aruba? ;) I'm still not getting why this is somehow special, to the degree that I have to (am required to by some people, apparently) feel more sympathy for her family than someone else's.

You're right, it doesn't happen all the time that girls are kidnapped and murdered in Aruba...but it does happen with alarming frequency that girls are kidnapped and murdered.

So the story here is that it happened in Aruba?  :huh:  I'm still not getting why this is somehow special, to the degree that I have to (am required to by some people, apparently) feel more sympathy for her family than someone else's.

357025[/snapback]

No, the story here is that the runaway bride story was tapped and MJ verdict isn't in yet. ;)

I agree that there isn't necessarily reason to feel more or less remorse than we would with any murder victim. But maybe there will be a benefit from the coverage on this case. Maybe next time parents won't send 125 high school kids to run wild on a foreign island with a handful of irresponsible chaperones.

But, the fact is a girl died and Fox chose to cover it.

357020[/snapback]

What Fox care about is the money shot...a family member collapsing in grief, or yelling obscenities at a defendant...or even worse yet, the carrying of a body bag into the coronors van.

Television, especially cable, news coverage continues to strive for more and more tasteless broadcasts, throwing aside ethics and human decency. And just as bad is the fact that most people can't wait for the next big news event.

I have cautioned my daughters, being very specific and intentionally graphic at times, but that does not mean that in their inexperience they will not (or did not) make mistakes, or let down their guard for a moment. A moment is all it takes for sh-- to happen.

I hope a lot of parents are discussing this incident openly with their children (not just the girls). It could happen just as easily in surburbia as it could in a vacation spot.

I don't know that I'd go as far as saying it's her fault, cut and dried. I doubt she had any intentions of being raped and murdered. I'd have to cast some blame on those who used her, and threw her away.

But, in an abstract way, look at how easy it has become for Americans, especially young Americans to become victimized.

Over recent years, this country has created, especially for those with some affluence, a mentality that bad things only happen on TV. And TV isn't real anyway.

We don't teach kids to look over their shoulder because collectively, most of us don't.

356184[/snapback]

Not to sound crude but Americans, me included, care more about a hot chick who disappeared under suspicious circumstances than it does about the hundreth rebel uprising in Haiti and Bolivia.

357007[/snapback]

I was referring to my own lack of empathy. One girl missing is sad, but like the

runaway bride in georgia, it is hardly proportionate to the amount of media attention it is receiving. ;)

I was referring to my own lack of empathy. One girl missing is sad, but like the

runaway bride in georgia, it is hardly proportionate to the amount of media attention it is receiving.  ;)

357180[/snapback]

I disagree. This story hits close to home since Natalie has a "girl next door" look, which is precisely why the media and America has become fixated on the case. There's much more empathy to be had here than another 3rd world horror story. It's coverage is entirely in proportion to the amount of people following it.

I disagree. This story hits close to home since Natalie has a "girl next door" look, which is precisely  why the media and America has become fixated on the case. There's much more empathy to be had here than another 3rd world horror story. It's coverage is entirely in proportion to the amount of people following it.

357224[/snapback]

Well, yes, if you believe that News is the entertainment business. Call it what you will, but it is not good journalism. The media love these types of cases these days because, all they have to do in terms of investigative journalism is put a mike to the face of some police spokesperson, and exploit the grief of the family and friends that know the girl. (remember the Simpson's episode: "We are sending our love down a well.") Gripping stuff ;) .....but expect much more of the same in the years to come. News rooms can package this stuff on the cheap.

Well, yes, if you believe that News is the entertainment business. Call it what you will, but it is not good journalism.  The media love these types of cases these days because, all they have to do in terms of investigative journalism is put a mike to the face of some police spokesperson, and exploit the grief of the family and friends that know the girl. (remember the Simpson's episode: "We are sending our love down a well.") Gripping stuff ;) .....but expect much more of the same in the years to come. News rooms can package this stuff on the cheap.

357264[/snapback]

If thats how they're getting their ratings, then that is what they will continue to do. Its all about the ratings.