What If??

I don't really see this happening, because I think that JP has proved in the offseason that he is ready to take control of this team, but what happens if he goes out there and just blows...I mean what if he just tanks, maybe starts the season with a few losses...do you put in the reliable backup of Kelly Holcomb and try to make something of the season and make a playoff run, or do you stick with the kid and hope he can turn it around?

I don't really see this happening, because I think that JP has proved in the offseason that he is ready to take control of this team, but what happens if he goes out there and just blows...I mean what if he just tanks, maybe starts the season with a few losses...do you put in the reliable backup of Kelly Holcomb and try to make something of the season and make a playoff run, or do you stick with the kid and hope he can turn it around?

355801[/snapback]

It depends on how bad he blows. If he looks like the second coming of RJ, we'll see KH soon.

355801[/snapback]

You cannot (bar injury) start Holcomb this season. To commit to JP as strongly as they have in the off season, then to yank him from the starting job (even 8 weeks into the season) will be a blow JP will never be able to recover from...at least not in a Bills uniform.

He is the QB, even if the Bills are 0-10.

Well it is certainly possible that JP could pull a Ryan Leaf on us :P , if he does look like crap for the 1st 4 games and the rest of the team is clicking look for Holcomb to make an appearance.

If JP has a poor showing in the beginning of the season I will be expecting blackouts in the latter part of the season.

That being said, I don't think that JP will be expected to carry this team this year, just as they didn't count on Bledsoe to do it last year. He will certainly make mistakes, but if he can keep a cool head and is able to dial into the speed of the game, I have high hopes that JP will not leave us feeling :flirt: .

I know this isn't popular but I dont expect much of JP at all. He's done nothing other than a bunch of fluff stories in the offseason to impress me. So if he tanks I won't be suprised. With that said though I hope he does good, and plays as part of the team this season making as few mistakes as possible, and has a good inital season allowing willis mcgahee and the defense carry us to the playoffs.

Could happen but Sam Wyche is working daily with him. Tom Clements is also working with him in installing the offense. Both played QB during their playing days and know WTF they're talking about. Wyche developed Joe Montana as Bill Walsh's QB coach and spent an off-season in Cinci getting Boomer Esiason ready to replace Ken Anderson. Remind me how they turned out.

I do like Holcomb and have no problem going to him due to poor play or injury. Both are far better alternatives than the ineffective, limited DB.

QB isn't high on my worry list, since we got very little out of it last year and still won 9 games. I'll be concentrating on watching Edwards/Anderson replacing Pat Williams and the OL in general, especially LT. Backup RB is also of interest. Shaud Williams, Gates or Lee ?

Put some faith in proven coaches.

>>>>I do like Holcomb and have no problem going to him due to poor play or injury. Both are far better alternatives than the ineffective, limited DB.<<<<

Wishful thinking Mark. Typing something as fact doesn't render it as such.

If JP throws for 1/2 of Drew's touchdowns, yardage, and/or wins both in the playoffs and regular season, he will have had a very good career. It is also far from likely.

"Far better?" Before JP has wiped his a$$? Before he has lasted a preseason without getting almost crippled due to brushing up against an older defensive back?

Really. :flirt:

>>>>I do like Holcomb and have no problem going to him due to poor play or injury. Both are far better alternatives than the ineffective, limited DB.<<<<

Wishful thinking Mark. Typing something as fact doesn't render it as such.

If JP throws for 1/2 of Drew's touchdowns, yardage, and/or wins both in the playoffs and regular season, he will have had a very good career. It is also far from likely.

"Far better?" Before JP has wiped his a$$? Before he has lasted a preseason without getting almost crippled due to brushing up against an older defensive back?

Really.  :flirt:

355906[/snapback]

Bill, you will NEVER let go of the Drew issue. He flat out stunk his last 40 games in the Bills uniform, otherwise he'd still be here. The Coaches demanded a change and were not blinded by past stats and glorified, long gone legend status among a minority of fans. He WAS good in his day but Belichick made a change for a very good reason in 2001. He refused to insert DB back into the lineup and looked to Brady to energize his floundering team. With your logic, Brady, a 6th round pick , would have no business being allowed a chance to retain his job, once Bledsoe was healthy. He was completely unproven also. Drew would have cost Belichick his job and was playing poorly.

I appreciate what he did for his 3 years here but it obviously wasn't working. I'm a Bills fan first and root for the laundry. It's unconditional allegiance, since I grew up here and have attended well over 300 games in person. It's never conditional, based on certain name players having to wear the uniform.

I do NOT attach myself to chosen players and make them bigger than the team. You obviously resent the Losman talk, which can be over the top but it's natural enthusiasm of the fans. I've been watching this team since the 60's and keep an open mind. Change happens and many times, it does work out for the better.

Oh man. Nice apocalyptic post!

Anyone who thinks that this rookie is just gonna lite the NFL on fire this year is a fool and a tool!!!

Seriously, the coaching staff is working hard to make it an easy transition for the kid. Namely, shoring up that pathetic line we used to have and feature the running game alot more to take the pressure off of him. What's great is that we have a pretty decent D and very good teams that can keep us in or win games for us.

It's not a question of IF he will struggle but WHEN and how long will he be mired in it? The Stillers didn't have a playoff team because they relied solely on Ben.

If the receivers played like they did last year, we will won't come close to having a winning record.

I think Losman will endure some growing pains but at least he's here working on an expanded playbook and putting in the time. Going out and getting Holcomb gives the Bills a viable option, just in case.

If Bledsoe came back again, I'd already be conceding the season to failure. The Bills won in spite of his incredible blunders and erratic play. I thought the ghost of Vince Ferragamo had returned the last 2 years. Belichick was right to dump him and so was Donahoe. Fools gold.

Bill, you will NEVER let go of the Drew issue. He flat out stunk his last 40 games in the Bills uniform, otherwise he'd still be here. The Coaches demanded a change and were not blinded by past stats and glorified, long gone legend status among a minority of fans. He WAS good in his day but Belichick made a change for a very good reason in 2001. He refused to insert DB back into the lineup and looked to Brady to energize his floundering team. With your logic, Brady, a 6th round pick , would have no business being allowed a chance to retain his job, once Bledsoe was healthy. He was completely unproven also. Drew would have cost Belichick his job and was playing poorly.

I appreciate what he did for his 3 years here but it obviously wasn't working. I'm a Bills fan first and root for the laundry. It's unconditional allegiance, since I grew up here and have attended well over 300 games in person. It's never conditional, based on certain name players having to wear the uniform. 

I do NOT attach myself to chosen players and make them bigger than the team. You obviously resent the Losman talk, which can be over the top but it's natural enthusiasm of the fans.  I've been watching this team since the 60's and keep an open mind. Change happens and many times, it does work out for the better.

355916[/snapback]

Brother, please do not imply that I am less of a fan because I didn't like a personnel move; one which by the way has NOT been proven to be correct.

Have we been to games together? I am thinking that you know that if I lived in WNY (which I would do if my wife agreed), I would be a season ticket holder.

I do not resent the "Losman talk." It is to be expected on a Bills board. :doh:

What I DO find hard to relate to are comments such as yours which call JP a "far better alternative" before he has proven anything, and displayed some not so good things to boot.

I will be cheering him as loud as you if he is still the starter in the game we attend this year. What I will not do is enter the season with blind expectations that JP will be a great qb.

He will have to convince me on the football field.

If you think about it, maybe I am MAKING sense. :lol:

355801[/snapback]

This brings up an interesting point .......... exactly what do we expect from J.P. this year ....... what will we fickle fans consider a sucessful year, and what would we consider as a failure?

Personally, I consider J.P. a rookie ..... I know, I know 2nd year yadda yadda ... but bottom line he's a rookie as far as playing time goes. He's going to make some mistakes, every player makes mistakes, it's just more obvious at some positions than others. He will most likely start kind of slow and play in spits and spurts until he becomes comfortable.

I predict he will lose us a game or two with bone headed rookie mistakes, hopefully he will take the team on his shoulders and win a game or two through his athletic abilities. I don't think I can attach a win number to his sucess, I can see situations where if we finish 3-13 but J.P. shows an increasing level of maturity and player skills through the season should be considered good ...... as well as finishing 13-3 where we got there in spite of J.P.'s play that would be a negative (as far as J.P. is concerned).

Bottom line ...... I'm looking for some basic abilities from him that is built upon, and refined, from week to week. He gets a free pass this season as far as the team record goes ...... I'm just looking forward to seeing a talented young player mature into a position that he will enjoy continued sucess in for years to come ..... here's to keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone who expects JP to have a year like an experienced vet, they're expecting way too much. Hell Roethlisberger's year last year wasn't as great as everyone made it out to be, other than he was a rookie starter, and was akin to Brady's first year as a starter with the Pats, i.e. they didn't make loads of mistakes and let the running game, defense, and ST's win games. That's what we should expect of JP. Nothing more. If he does do more, great.

355801[/snapback]

Ralph can start looking for a new GM, we will have another salary cap/roster

"mini" purge, and look for the Bills in the playoffs around 2007 or 2008.