OT-When did Costco get into caskets?

jayg

lol

I work at Costco Distribution Center here in Phx. Costco has been selling caskets for like a year now. Not sure, but they are only available online, or in Illinois area I think.

Not for long - I understand sales have been dead.

353975[/snapback]

:(

That leads me into:

"Why are there fences around graveyards?"

Because people are dying to get it!

Lame I know!

And WTF are you supposed to do with it when you get it???

1- put it in the garage until needed.

2- bring it with you to the funeral home.

3- have your own makeshift funeral.

Stick to hot-tubs Costco.

354164[/snapback]

Actually, its like pre-paying for your funeral arrangements. When you die, the casket is pre-paid and waiting for you. Its not sitting in your garage waiting for you....

Yes, but we both forgot to mention that there have been no repeat customers (and few complaints).

354058[/snapback]

The largest manufacturer, Batesville Casket, is located about 50 miles west of me.

They offer optional leak-proof guarantees...don't want any leaking into that concrete vault, do we? :(

The largest manufacturer, Batesville Casket, is located about 50 miles west of me.

They offer optional leak-proof guarantees...don't want any leaking into that concrete vault, do we? :(

355016[/snapback]

In summers during high school and college, I worked at Elmlawn cemetary in Tonawanda. On occasion they would have to "dig one out" for various reasons. Those guarantees are pretty much worthless.

I saw a 7 year old dig out (the guy died 7 years prior, and the wife wanted him moved to a mausoleum). The Funeral director who handled the original and the new internment was on hand to oversee the event. He was also there to make sure we didn't say a word about the condition of the vault (saturated), casket (one side deteriorated to nothing, black water pouring out) or remains (obvoius worm meat). He had sold the top of the line package to the woman with guarantees that the vault was impenetrable, the casket 100% waterproof for 50 years and hubby would be safe and sound for years to come. As soon as the condition of remains were visible, the funeral director looked around, checked out who was there and then gave our boss an envelope. Later after it was all done, the boss told the three of us " It was in good condition? right?" We all kinda nodded and then he gave us each a 20 from the envelope. The boss kept the rest. It was one of my first real world lessons in business.

Actually, its like pre-paying for your funeral arrangements. When you die, the casket is pre-paid and waiting for you. Its not sitting in your garage waiting for you....

354881[/snapback]

I read the must read section, it's not like pre-payment. You actually have to take delivery of the casket when you buy it. They won't keep it on lay-away until you die. So you actually would have to put it in your garage, or attic ;), or crawl space a la ted Bundy :(

I read the must read section, it's not like pre-payment.  You actually have to take delivery of the casket when you buy it.  They won't keep it on lay-away until you die.  So you actually would have to put it in your garage, or attic ;), or crawl space a la ted Bundy :doh:

355183[/snapback]

hehe. Too funny. Even the employees dont know what's going on. Sorry about the mis-info. We were told originally that all merchandise was "for future delivery" ...Oh well