Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This!! This, exactly.

You can say a lot about the NFL and how it's run. Much of it fairly bad.

But they're not stupid enough to risk hundreds of billions over time to win tens of millions. They're just not.

Is it possible that an individual here and there does something venal and stupid? Yup, absolutely.

But that they're stupid enough to risk it all for such a relatively small return? No, you'd have to be stupid to a massive, massive degree. It'd be like a guy crawling out to the Wallenda's highwire across Niagara Falls to pick up a nickel taped to the middle of the wire. They make bad decisions, reasonably often, as do most or all of us.

But they're just not that clueless.

Well for them to not do something, the consequences would have to be guaranteed. 

So let’s say there was great evidence of rigging? Who would be told, what would that person do, and who does that person report to? If anyone in that chain can be bought or has a conflict of interest, the perceived threat of consequences could just be the cover that’s used to do whatever they want. 

There are ample examples of this currently in our society. 

I’m just saying that those organizations you’d THINK would be the enforcers are likely invested in making sure the NFL stays and pays their bills. They are more likely to protect and shield the NFL than knock it down 

Edited by DaggersEOD
Clarity

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol OK.

which teams get ALL of their holding called?

I wonder if there is a stat for holding penalties not called and if the ratio correlates to popular / big market teams. 

Like does the Chiefs get fewer called holds than say the Jags or Commanders?

That would be a fun stat to explore. Each week see which team has the highest non-call percentage and use it to predict / bet the Super Bowl. 

22 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I wonder if there is a stat for holding penalties not called and if the ratio correlates to popular / big market teams. 

Like does the Chiefs get fewer called holds than say the Jags or Commanders?

That would be a fun stat to explore. Each week see which team has the highest non-call percentage and use it to predict / bet the Super Bowl. 

KC isn't  a big market.  Not sure it's "popular" now either, except as the new villain.

I just don't see holding penalties as crucial to getting to a SB.  Far more occurs than gets called in every single game for every team.  It should be eliminated as a penalty for the O-line as it's essentially meaningless and arbitrary to call it nowadays.  

There are entirely too many moving parts, and too many people who could open their mouths for it to be rigged.  Like others have said, i wouldn't rule out the possibility of a bad ref or something here or there, but to say the entire league is rigged and it's never slipped out is crazy.  Too many players and too many chances for the "script" to be messed up.  

If the Bills somehow win a Super Bowl within 3 years of the new stadium opening either before or after I will have more belief that it is. As of now I can't or don't want to believe it as as can't see how they could let fanbases like Buffalo and Minnesota and even to a degree the Jets endure all the pain we've had since 1970.

It depends on the context of "fixed". Obviously it's happened before when certain refs and umpires in the major sports leagues were paid to lean in a direction. I believe that's possible or that some of the league's top officials could potentially push in a direction.

The part that I think is just so stupid is the conspiracy that all the players are in on a "script". Like you'd have to have so many players, coaches, other staff, and all the refs and NFL officials bought and paid for and be OK with losing or be embarrassed or have their legacies tarnished or even getting cut or traded or whatever to make that happen. And then for nobody to say anything or bring forward evidence after all this time....yeah I don't buy it. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

One fighter vs 53 players. Not impossible.  I suppose Josh could have been paid off to fumble the snap on the goal line against the Vikings. But was the entire o-line paid off to not recover the ball? 

Outside of the QB who is already making millions nobody else handles the ball enough to make a difference.  I guess a kicker could miss a FG but even then the team and game situation has to be such that it even comes down to a winning/losing kick. 

Would I be surprised if some guy ultimately was being paid off? No. Wide spread absolutely not. And certainly there is no collusion amongst hypercompetitive billionaires to let Robert Kraft keep winning SuperBowls. 

I was talking more so about referees or a kicker etc. Guy makes a bad call etc. somebody misses a call so forth and so on.

On 11/26/2023 at 9:29 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t do it. Too many people involved. But you can have 1-2 bad apples and they can do enough damage.

But no, I don’t believe the NFL is fixed. Officiating isnt getting worse, it’s always been bad. We just have more rules and more cameras now. Rules complicate an already difficult job. Cameras show every mistake they make in 4k ultra slow motion.

How many people would need to be involved? You only need a few refs involved. All games don't need to be fixed. Some are predictable. So a few key games to sway the outcome of a teams season. Playoffs or no playoffs? I've always thought that an owner could pay a fee to the NFL to get better calls. IMHO

I used to think so judging by the ways the Bills lose games ...

:13 Seconds - Just how do you lose that ?

Homerun throw forward - Not getting the call on the road

Poyer, Hyde, White surrounding Hopkins in the end zone just needing to knock it down - C'mon man, Hopkins catches it.

Vikings in 4th and as the announcer said "about a mile" (was about 30) Of course the Vikings convert

"Just give it to them" in a game vs the patriots

Jerry Hughes getting flagged 15 yards for hitting his own teammates helmet.

We fans of Buffalo have seen the most bizarre ways to lose football games, if it's not fixed it must be that they built the stadium on an Indian Graveyard. 👻🦇🦇