Seattle wants a 3rd for

Estro

My Webpage

It just surprises me at how little a good running back gets traded for these days. If he goes for a 3rd no way Henry can do any better. The thing with S. Alexander though, is he'll command big bucks like the article says. Henry on the other hand is probably viewed as a bargain, price wise, by many teams. All things considered I'd say Henry should at least get us a 3rd when it is all said and done.

My Webpage

It just surprises me at how little a good running back gets traded for these days.  If he goes for a 3rd no way Henry can do any better.  The thing with S. Alexander though, is he'll command big bucks like the article says.  Henry on the other hand is probably viewed as a bargain, price wise, by many teams.  All things considered I'd say Henry should at least get us a 3rd when it is all said and done.

352930[/snapback]

The contract demands really aren' that far off.

Travis wants 4-5 years for 24 million total with a 7-8 million bonus. Similar to Jordan.

Alexander is looking for 7 years 30-32 million with 10-11 million bonus.

Pretty similar contracts overall difference is it would be easier cap wise to get rid of Travis after 1-2 years whereas Alexander pretty much guanetees three years on a roster before a team could consider cutting, even if he does poorly.

The contract demands really aren' that far off. 

Travis wants 4-5 years for 24 million total with a 7-8 million bonus.  Similar to Jordan. 

Alexander is looking for 7 years 30-32 million with 10-11 million bonus. 

Pretty similar contracts overall difference is it would be easier cap wise to get rid of Travis after 1-2 years whereas Alexander pretty much guanetees three years on a roster before a team could consider cutting, even if he does poorly.

352942[/snapback]

Alexander want way more than that. Add another couple million a year and about 5 million more to the bonus and then you would have what Alexander wants.

Alexander want way more than that.  Add another couple million a year and about 5 million more to the bonus and then you would have what Alexander wants.

352962[/snapback]

Yup, alexander wants portis type money...no way he settles for onyl a few mil a year...

I'd give upa  third for Alexander in a second...if we didn't have Willis that is.

352953[/snapback]

Folks simply do not seem to get it that draft choices are a way to somewhat express how good they think a player is, but this all falls apart when one is saying how much a particular team will/should trade for a particular player.

Was Corey Dillon worth NE giving up a second for. Yep. They had enough questions about their running game in the post-Antowai era and they were pretty solid in other areas, one could have justified them giving up a 1st for the RB they wanted.

In retrospect (hindsight being 20-20) from his performance individually and based on team results it was a good trade.

However, was he worth a 2nd given up by the Bills? No way. In fact, with Henry coming off of 2 1300+ years and WM waiting in development, folks would have been justified in throwing hissy-fits if we gave up even a 7th pick to get Dillon at the time.

Absolute judgwments about how good/bad a player is are fair game for anyone and the arguments speak for themselves. However, trade value is determined by supply/demand and varies from team to team depending as much (or even more) on what they have at that position than it does a judgement about how good/bad a player performs.

This estimation is even further skewed from simply judging skill levels by the contract status and size of a player's compensation. Travis Henry may be worth as much as Alexander even though Alexander is a far better RB simply based on contract status.

Stating a player's skill level based on him being allegedly worth some level of draft pick because the value of a draft pick not only varies hugely from year to year (JP was the 4th QB taken last year and many complained that the Bills gave up to much to get him at #21 but he may well have been the 1st QB taken this year even if he put the same numbers if he stayed in school). but it also varies a huge amount within a draft (few would have complained if the Bills had taken Kelsay with their 1st pick in 2003, but TD smartly saw that the draft pick assigned to a player is more about supply/demand rather than about merely his play and passed because he figured he would be there in the 2nd roung because demand for DEs was so low after a first round run on the position.

Is Alexander worth a 3rd? He is probably worth a future first if you are Jax and decide Taylor is hurt and you could sign him reasonably. However, he is worth nothing to SD with Tomlinson holding down the spot.

Treating draft value as though it is an absoulte statement which applies to all teams is simply incorrect.

Folks simply do not seem to get it that draft choices are a way to somewhat express how good they think a player is, but this all falls apart when one is saying how much a particular team will/should trade for a particular player.

Was Corey Dillon worth NE giving up a second for. Yep. They had enough questions about their running game in the post-Antowai era and they were pretty solid in other areas, one could have justified them giving up a 1st for the RB they wanted.

In retrospect (hindsight being 20-20) from his performance individually and based on team results it was a good trade.

However, was he worth a 2nd given up by the Bills? No way. In fact, with Henry coming off of 2 1300+ years and WM waiting in development, folks would have been justified in throwing hissy-fits if we gave up even a 7th pick to get Dillon at the time.

Absolute judgwments about how good/bad a player is are fair game for anyone and the arguments speak for themselves. However, trade value is determined by supply/demand and varies from team to team depending as much (or even more) on what they have at that position than it does a judgement about how good/bad a player performs.

This estimation is even further skewed from simply judging skill levels by the contract status and size of a player's compensation. Travis Henry may be worth as much as Alexander even though Alexander is a far better RB simply based on contract status.

Stating a player's skill level based on him being allegedly worth some level of draft pick because the value of a draft pick not only varies hugely from year to year (JP was the 4th QB taken last year and many complained that the Bills gave up to much to get him at #21 but he may well have been the 1st QB taken this year even if he put the same numbers if he stayed in school). but it also varies a huge amount within a draft (few would have complained if the Bills had taken Kelsay with their 1st pick in 2003, but TD smartly saw that the draft pick assigned to a player is more about supply/demand rather than about merely his play and passed because he figured he would be there in the 2nd roung because demand for DEs was so low after a first round run on the position.

Is Alexander worth a 3rd? He is probably worth a future first if you are Jax and decide Taylor is hurt and you could sign him reasonably. However, he is worth nothing to SD with Tomlinson holding down the spot.

Treating draft value as though it is an absoulte statement which applies to all teams is simply incorrect.

353024[/snapback]

Sorry, but there is still some connection. Alexander is better than Travis at each and every phase of football.

Yes, his contract demands do serve to lessen his trade value, but it does not change the fact that NO team will ever pay more for a braindead miscreant than a truly top notch back.

I would not expect this news to serve as a wakeup call as to what Travis is worth. Nothing else did, including the lack of offers in the draft.

Continue to rationalize as you will, but in terms of a trade, Travis Henry is all but worthless.

At least as of 4/29/05, according to Clayton, the Seahawks are only $196,000 below the cap. I don't know if they cut anyone else since then, but if they haven't, I think I see why TD is sticking to his guns regarding Henry. Teams may be waiting to see if the Seahawks pull the franchise tag and cut him loose al a Shelton and the Cards.

At least as of 4/29/05, according to Clayton, the Seahawks are only $196,000 below the cap.  I don't know if they cut anyone else since then, but if they haven't, I think I see why TD is sticking to his guns regarding Henry.  Teams may be waiting to see if the Seahawks pull the franchise tag and cut him loose al a Shelton and the Cards.

353045[/snapback]

hawks released robinson and taylor

am i the only one who believes that at this point travis henry would be happy to play under his current contract if it means being traded to another team?

352974[/snapback]

I think Travis would love it. However the team acquiring him would hate it. I maintain if travis had two years left on his deal, he would be a fromer Bill by now

I think Travis would love it. However the team acquiring him would hate it. I maintain if travis had two years left on his deal, he would be a fromer Bill by now

353073[/snapback]

He would still want a new deal. He does now, in spite of his rather dismal performance in 04, in which he was a stoned cold loser in every start, as were the Buffalo Bills.

My Webpage

It just surprises me at how little a good running back gets traded for these days.  If he goes for a 3rd no way Henry can do any better.  The thing with S. Alexander though, is he'll command big bucks like the article says.  Henry on the other hand is probably viewed as a bargain, price wise, by many teams.  All things considered I'd say Henry should at least get us a 3rd when it is all said and done.

352930[/snapback]

You're preaching to the choir here. Even if Travis were a free agent right now, he wouldn't command all those $$$$ that these other guys would so it makes you wonder why no one is jumping thru hoops to land him.

Sorry, but there is still some connection. Alexander is better than Travis at each and every phase of football.

Yes, his contract demands do serve to lessen his trade value, but it does not change the fact that NO team will ever pay more for a braindead miscreant than a truly top notch back.

I would not expect this news to serve as a wakeup call as to what Travis is worth. Nothing else did, including the lack of offers in the draft.

Continue to rationalize as you will, but in terms of a trade, Travis Henry is all but worthless.

353030[/snapback]

I agree and flat out say there is a connection, but value being merely connected or related to the quality of your play OR your value being BASED soley on the quality of your play are two very different things.

Folks keep posting saying that so and so player is worth a particular choice as though there is no variability in this situation at all.

Alexander is worth a third to some teams, as injuries occur to RBs he could be worth a 1st and to some teams he is not even worth a seventh.

This true of Alexander and despite your assertions that he has no value this is true of Henry as well where if TD had wanted to take the Titans offer he could have had a second day draft pick for Henry (rather than your thought that he is worthless) or gotten Shelton for him.

Even if all you say is true (which it isn't since your he can't recieve complaint does not square with the reality of him catching 40+ his second year or your blitz pick-up rants do not correspond to assessments of Henry his second and third years_ Henry still has value because:

1. He gained over 1300 yards 2 years in a row which almost all RBs fail to do.

2. He did make the Pro Bowl once even if he slimed on due to an injury.

3. He has a very low cap hit for a starting RB in 05.

4. He is under contract at that low level next year.

Henry is not the best RB in the world. Henry is not as good clearly as Alexander IMHO. He does have trade value and TD is playing the game right to mzimize that. The only folks who want to cut him now are TH's relatives because he would make out like a bandit getting cut and folks who seem blinded to the reality that in this market he has trade value.