It's now September the 11th here in Turkey

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

I never thought in my lifetime I would live to see an event that had as powerful an impact as Pearl Harbor did in 1941, but unfortunately, I did.

I didn't know anyone in the towers that day, or through any other connection, but when someone lowballs the country like that and causes that much death, it makes you angry to the point of fury.

The Al Qaeda central command is STILL operational, new cells are showing up as others are shut down, and it seems as if the only ones who really were punished for this outrage were the Taliban, and some Al Qaeda people.

Somebody has to find these guys, eliminate them, obliterate them... I don't care who it is. I just want justice, not some freak show, apparent links, or regular blather.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
dont like your politics that much, but watch your ass. :(

26354[/snapback]

I do... between Al Qaeda and the Kurdish terrorist group PKK, I try to change my routine as often as possible around here. There is an underlying Turkish-Kurdish hatred that runs very, very deep, and unfortunately foreigners make excellent targets for the PKK to make the Turkish economy suffer by targetting us...

I don't expect anyone to like my politics 100% of the time, I just expect some great debate, of course some passionate moments of opinion, and the civility at the end... that is what separates us from the animals who make people suffer every day, that inherent civility.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I agree, watch yer buh-hind.      In my eyes, the Taliban's culpability was equal to Al-Qaeda's and I viewed them as the same entity.

26386[/snapback]

We don't have Taliban nutjobs over here, but we do have some Hizbollah nutjobs here who rarely show up...! :(

There are few ways to explain the anger that came over me on 9/11. But at the same time, for the first time in 39 years of existence, I finally understood how it really felt to be an American.

Like a lot of people, I felt like I needed to do something. I watched money pouring in from all over the world...staggering amounts of money...and I remember hearing on the BBC, which we watched intermittently to get a futuristic glimpse of what was coming; Our news was nothing but gore. While we were learning all of the many horrifying ways people died, and piecing together who did it and how, the BBC was discussing what affect this would have on our country...on our economy. Forget flying anywhere, which would have it's own ripple effect. Tourism...gone. The stock market...shut down. We had some deep crap coming.

Our country came to virtually an immediate halt.

So I figured out what to do. At least for me. When we were finally allowed to travel...I mean the very day I could finally fly out of California (about a week later)...I got on a plane to Denver, spent the week at a Hilton, visited some customers, and came home. I also called what was my broker at the time, and when the stock market opened, my money was thrown into it. We barely discussed where he put it, but that's not really the point for me.

I think this sometimes sounds foolish, but to me, these were the best ways I could contribute. We're nothing without our economy, when you boil it down.

The whole idea was to cripple us. And they did. For a minute.

Lost in all of the crap of this election was the resolve of the American people. We were suddenly and truly a group of united states.

If there's a problem with the election, to this layman, it's that no one is talking about the fact that this country was up and running pretty damn quickly. It was like a big FUG YOU to whomever was responsible at the time. Nice try, mutherfuggers, but you guessed wrong. We all stood up together...all of us...for the first time in my life. The entire fuggin' Senate was singing "God Bless America,' for crying out loud.

We blew it. How we got from there to here astounds me. That's the dumbing down of America that you hear some of us lament about. And it's basically out of our hands at this point because we had our one true chance to stand up together, and we just let it go. Apparently being a group of truly united states has a very intriguing statute of limitations.

God Bless America.

(Sorry. Long, long day today.)

I'm glad tomorrow is Saturday. The past couple years have been tough downtown during the memorial ceremonies. And now the far corner of our new offices looks right into the pit. It's amazing how the stories keep coming out. I dated a girl briefly over the summer who lost a brother at Cantor Fitzgerald. She was clearly still deeply affected. My sister works with a group of widows in CT and always has heartbreaking stories. And the guy who gave me a ride from the train back to the car dealer just this afternoon told me his wife was in the building that morning (somewhere in the 50s, she got out). Time heals, but it's something we won't ever forget.

9-11 should be a day of remembrance...A day we got caught with our guard down...But like Yamamoto told his sailors..We have awakened a sleeping giant......America will crush our enemies because we can and we are motivated ............We have the technology, the willpower and fire power to prevail.

I knew no one with any connections to someone lost that day, but a guy at work had a close call.

He had several tickets to fly from NY to SF on September 11th (would turn in unused ones for future flights), but got a flight late on 9/10. One of the tickets he had was for the flight that Rosened in PA. He did not make it up, because he had the boarding pass for that flight at work and showed it to us that afternoon.

It affected people in the area, since Todd Beamer was from a town about 10 miles away.

Three years later.....

Bin Laden is dead, and if he isn't really dead, he's so scared for his life he's been hiding in a hole and unwilling to offer proof of his own life for over a year. On second thought, he's dead.

National pride and unity are back to where they were before. Actually, that's not true but it has once again become acceptable to sell out your country and, once again, people are taking advantage of that.

Two struggling, baby democracies are born in Iraq and Afghanistan. Whether they survive is not certain but that is our mission now.

Spain and Russia have each had their own "9/11's." It wasn't on direct orders from OBL and his group but by people just like them.

And a big chunk of the world thinks we're the bad guys.

*sigh*

Anyway, God Bless America and God Bless Our Troops.