A contract's a contract IMHO

you are basicaly buying a number for 40,000 bucks. at the time you baught it, you did not know you could of had it for free if you just waited. cus there was a chance that he could have made the team. 40,000 buck to make sure you got the number.

he only got a multi MILLION dollar signing bonus... he cant be expected to stand buy a contract he made with some bum who got cut... :w00t:

this just shows what kind of man Portis is.

He bought it for $40 grand. Just because he only paid half of it up front doesn't mean he gets out of the other half.

I am so sick of stupid people.

I always thought that it was kind of sleazy to have players buy their favorite number from another player. It should be based on seniority only. If a guy wants to give up his number for free, so be it. But this payment for a number is sleazy. The guy with the number doesn't want to give it up to a rookie but he will if he is paid enough for it. :w00t:

But, Portis is an a-hole for not paying. They even wrote up a contract since the other guy didn't want to trust Portis' word. Guess he must of thought Portis was a sleazebag if he wouldn't just take his word on it.

This is probably the most ridiculous story I have ever heard. The man is actually sueing Portis for something that was written on a cocktail napkin!! I cannot believe our justice system is being subjected to such ludicrosity! This thing should be thrown out of court for watsing everyone's time!!

Actually, I hear the argument that Portis is making a couple times every week. It goes something like this:

Customer: I had an order out there to buy XYZ stock at $9.00. Did I get filled?

Me: Yeah, you were filled at $9.00 at 10:10 this morning.

Customer: Really? Where is it trading now?

Me: Last trade was $8.20, down $1.05 on the day.

Customer: Oh, then I don't want it then.

Me: Do you want me to sell it for you?

Customer: No, I want you to cancel the original buy.

Me: (Sigh) Well, that's not how it works. Are you new to trading? ...

I recall Richard Huntley wanting number 33 from Sammy Morris when he was in camp with the Bills and blamed his poor pre-season/camp play to not having his number. Morris refused to give the number up even when Huntley offered a bunch of money, then Huntley got cut.

It would have been great to see Huntley dish out the dough for the jersey then get cut. LOL - Sammy could have kept the money and his number.

I think Sammy just gave Sam Gash no. 33 when he came back and switched to 31

remind me of the movie "the fan" with de niro and snipes. lol

Actually, I hear the argument that Portis is making a couple times every week.  It goes something like this:

Customer:  I had an order out there to buy XYZ stock at $9.00.  Did I get filled?

Me:  Yeah, you were filled at $9.00 at 10:10 this morning.

Customer:  Really?  Where is it trading now?

Me:  Last trade was $8.20, down $1.05 on the day.

Customer:  Oh, then I don't want it then.

Me:  Do you want me to sell it for you?

Customer:  No, I want you to cancel the original buy.

Me:  (Sigh) Well, that's not how it works.  Are you new to trading? ...

352410[/snapback]

This is why I would never open a new account with a trade of more than $5000 without some assets already in the account. Of course I learned that lesson the hard way!

The 'great' uniform number dispute between Clinton Portis and Ifeanyi Ohalete has thankfully been settled, sparing us from watching Roger Cossack(sp?) explain who's right and who's wrong. Portis paid Ohalete 38000 of a promised 40000 and they stayed out of court.

Here's an interesting tidbit from ESPN about Jeff Feagles:"

Eli Manning, for example, had to pay for punter Jeff Feagles' family vacation to Florida to snag the preferred No. 10 after the New York Giants drafted Manning with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004. Feagles also got a new outdoor kitchen in his home from Plaxico Burress when he gave Burress his No. 17 after the wide receiver signed with New York.

Feagles has this thing down pat. Just keep looking for the best available number and wait for the team to sign a FA or draftee who is willing to give you stuff. He's gotten a nice vacation and an outdoor kitchen, ginsu knives could be next.