Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: ~40% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I guess the only real winner is Watson, who gets his money no matter what. 

Huge W for Houston, too.  The Watson trade turned them from a laughable doormat into an elite team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Well right now they've got terrible ownership. 

Well, one could argue they've had that since Art Modell bought the team in 1962. Modell ran Paul Brown out of town, schemed to get out of town, and also fired Belichick. Since their rebirth, it's possibly even worse (Lerner, Haslam). 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I honestly don't know how the Browns keep getting themselves in these messes.......you would think at least one person in their FO would recognize that the ship is sinking year in and year out with no land in sight. Just when you think the Browns have made the stupidest decision in franchise history, 10 minutes later, it's like, "hold my beer.......you thought that was stupid, wait till you see this one".

It's almost like a contest in their FO to see who can **** it up the most every season and the sad thing, it's always been this way with Cleveland.

Aye Carumba.

It's Haslam.  Andrew Berry is entirely analytics driven.  His goal is to gather picks, not part with them.  Even when he trades a pick away, it's either later round, or a pick swap with a player included too.  Like a 3rd for a player and a 4th.  Analytics say to gather as many picks as possible.  The more swings, the higher chance of a hit.  I can't see any situation that Berry traded all this picks for Watson without Haslam being involved and forcing the issue.  

Watson's ability is still there.  He just plays scared all the time now.  1 read and run, or 1 read and take a sack.  The only time the team moved the ball yesterday was when he was willing to throw the ball down the field a little.  

The Browns' line is in shambles, but they aren't the main problem.  For most of the 2nd half yesterday, because of injuries, the OLine was:

LG - C - C - RG - RT     and even then, they were rotating at RT, and their RG is a rookie, though he actually played very well.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

It's Haslam.  Andrew Berry is entirely analytics driven.  His goal is to gather picks, not part with them.  Even when he trades a pick away, it's either later round, or a pick swap with a player included too.  Like a 3rd for a player and a 4th.  Analytics say to gather as many picks as possible.  The more swings, the higher chance of a hit.  I can't see any situation that Berry traded all this picks for Watson without Haslam being involved and forcing the issue.  

Watson's ability is still there.  He just plays scared all the time now.  1 read and run, or 1 read and take a sack.  The only time the team moved the ball yesterday was when he was willing to throw the ball down the field a little.  

The Browns' line is in shambles, but they aren't the main problem.  For most of the 2nd half yesterday, because of injuries, the OLine was:

LG - C - C - RG - RT     and even then, they were rotating at RT, and their RG is a rookie, though he actually played very well.

Parts of the game that i watched yesterday, Watson looked like an ole noodle arm, trying to heave a 12 pound salami downfield......he had a few flashes where he kind of looked adequate, but for the most part i saw absolute futile failure.

On 9/12/2024 at 6:02 PM, Beast said:

Screw Browns fans. They supported that jackass regarding his dozens of other allegations. The ONLY reason they are backing away from him now is because his play has sucked.

That's not true, at all.  Most didn't like the trade.  I didn't.  Sure, some were excited, but most root for him only in the sense that it helps the team.  Essentially rooting against him is to hope your own team loses.  

Just now, Sweats said:

Parts of the game that i watched yesterday, Watson looked like an ole noodle arm, trying to heave a 12 pound salami downfield......he had a few flashes where he kind of looked adequate, but for the most part i saw absolute futile failure.

I think most of that is his lack of conviction.  He can't just let the ball loose.  Most throws are 3-5 yards, and even then, he holds the ball as long as possible before throwing it.  The quick passes can work, but you have to get the ball out quick and give the receivers a chance to do something with it.  He had a 5 yard completion yesterday, where the guy was wide open the entire time, but by the time he threw it, the receiver got blasted as soon as he caught by a guy that started 10 yards away, or more.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Huge W for Houston, too.  The Watson trade turned them from a laughable doormat into an elite team.

Great point! They solved an enormous headache, got a ton of draft capital, and hit on the picks. 

they might be the biggest winners on second thought, because unlike Watson they have all positive vibes on top of it

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Great point! They solved an enormous headache, got a ton of draft capital, and hit on the picks. 

they might be the biggest winners on second thought, because unlike Watson they have all positive vibes on top of it

Yeah, it amazing the haul Houston got for a guy who was never going to play for them again.

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

Eh. Houston is not an elite team. They have had their share of absolute stinkers the last two years. Notable loses include the Jets and Panthers last season. They got blown out yesterday. Talented? Yes. Ascending? Yeah, but they are not elite yet. I think the Chiefs, Bills, Niners, even Baltimore and Cinci blow the doors off them 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Eh. Houston is not an elite team. They have had their share of absolute stinkers the last two years. Notable loses include the Jets and Panthers last season. They got blown out yesterday. Talented? Yes. Ascending? Yeah, but they are not elite yet. I think the Chiefs, Bills, Niners, even Baltimore and Cinci blow the doors off them 

They had a bad game yesterday against an underrated Vikings team, but the Texans are one of the top 4 AFC teams.  Go check the Vegas odds if you don’t believe me.

Deshaun is probably an example of a player who is no longer hungry. 

I am of the opinion that not every player who is in their twenties and riding around in a Porsche with a million cash in his pocket will be hungry enough to play professional football. Watson was great at Clemson. Dabo still talks about him. Some players that have this much money seem to lose their motivation. 

I'm not judging them either. Put me in that position at that age and I would rather not be sacked by Von Miller or some human missle safety on a blitz. I also would not want to take a punch from Mike Tyson. Nope, I'm sure that in my twenties I would rather hang out til all hours, party with the hottest women on the planet, and wake up when I feel like it. 

My guess is that plenty of teams are going to eat tons of cap space in the future after getting stuck with players who are rich and no longer care, especially given the size of these QB contracts. Dak Prescott might make more money per year than some owners. 

48 minutes ago, mannc said:

They had a bad game yesterday against an underrated Vikings team, but the Texans are one of the top 4 AFC teams.  Go check the Vegas odds if you don’t believe me.

Yeah, I've seen the Vegas odds. My opinion is they are not an elite team. I see a good team, that played a 4th place schedule last year and barely made the playoffs in a bad division.  The Vikes look legit and they absolutely demolished them yesterday. I expect them to win their division again, but that says far more about the state of their division than anything.

JMO of course. I can't picture that team coming to Buffalo or KC or Baltimore and walking away a winner in January. Last year they went to Baltimore and lost by 21. They might get to be an elite team, but IMO they are not there