Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: ~40% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

On 9/10/2024 at 4:17 PM, Ballhawk said:

After that contract went south I didn't think we'd see so much guaranteed money for QB's, then I just saw Dak's contract which is basically all guaranteed. Admittedly he's not the same risk, but still... seems like a risky way to do business.

Dak's contract has functional GTDs of 231M (out of 240M total for the contract) but almost half of that is just guaranteeing his salary from year to year. He was only GTD 129M at signing. If he turns into a complete pumpkin (unlikely), there's a practical out in 2028 where he only costs 34M in dead cap but they could even still cut him in 2026 taking on a 62M dead cap

Watson's contract was fully GTD at signing meaning they owe him the 231M no matter what and his dead cap number in 2026 (the last year of his contract BTW) is still 99M. Its just structured in a way that they cannot really cut him (unless the new suspension/charges/accusations voids his GTD salaries). Even if his future salaries are voided, he would still be a dead cap of 80M next year if they cut him based on bonuses already paid.

48 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The Browns deserve this and more for picking this guy up, let alone for such a high price tag.

I always wonder if Bills fans would root for team if Watson were the quarterback of our team. 

I mean, I would be pissed off for sure but at the same time I have been a fan rooting for this team for 40+ years and have never missed a game.  Some of it had to be radio because of blackouts back then but I never missed one.  So yeah, if I were honest, I'd have to say I'd still be rooting for the team.  It's in my blood.  I never wanted this guy ever. Not even when he was good.  And I knew he was going to be ***** on his return as well.

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Dak's contract has functional GTDs of 231M (out of 240M total for the contract) but almost half of that is just guaranteeing his salary from year to year. He was only GTD 129M at signing. If he turns into a complete pumpkin (unlikely), there's a practical out in 2028 where he only costs 34M in dead cap but they could even still cut him in 2026 taking on a 62M dead cap

Watson's contract was fully GTD at signing meaning they owe him the 231M no matter what and his dead cap number in 2026 (the last year of his contract BTW) is still 99M. Its just structured in a way that they cannot really cut him (unless the new suspension/charges/accusations voids his GTD salaries). Even if his future salaries are voided, he would still be a dead cap of 80M next year if they cut him based on bonuses already paid.

The Browns restructured it a few times already to make cap space, mostly by converting salary to bonus money. As a result, their dead caps in the next few years are incredibly prohibitive. They may have to do a bobby bonilla style buyout to get rid of him

26 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Browns restructured it a few times already to make cap space, mostly by converting salary to bonus money. As a result, their dead caps in the next few years are incredibly prohibitive. They may have to do a bobby bonilla style buyout to get rid of him

Their best case scenario is that these new charges somehow void his future salaries (which there is a mixed opinion about that as apparently there is language that protects his $$$) and even then his dead cap is 80M if they release him this offseason (i guess they could post june 1 release him and it would be a more" manageable" 26M dead cap in 2025 and 53M dead cap in 2026.

They simply cannot get out of any dead cap stuff for things already paid to him and I think the rest of the owners will make it very hard for them to get out of this contract because they were all so pissed about it.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know there is a lot of talk about these new charges and his salary.  I just think that nothing is going to happen until

into the 2025 season at the earliest.  Watson's lawyers will push this stuff back as far as possible.

Agreed. This isnt the magic solution the Browns are hoping for.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed. This isnt the magic solution the Browns are hoping for.

Also, real possibility is Watson and his legal team, end up settling with the plaintiff with a "no admission of guilt" settlement.

Browns don't have a leg to stand on if that happens.

One way or the other, like I said, this thing is going to drag on and on.

Given the fact that the Browns went out of their way to structure the contract so that the financial impact of any suspension in year 1 would be minimal and the fact they went fully guaranteed for a guy with this record, I am overjoyed that they are basically in an ironclad marriage with him through 2026. 

They deserve each other, and I look forward to drama, failure, and enjoying their misery for this year, then 2 more after. 

I guess the only real winner is Watson, who gets his money no matter what. 

• Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Given the fact that the Browns went out of their way to structure the contract so that the financial impact of any suspension in year 1 would be minimal and the fact they went fully guaranteed for a guy with this record, I am overjoyed that they are basically in an ironclad marriage with him through 2026. 

They deserve each other, and I look forward to drama, failure, and enjoying their misery for this year, then 2 more after. 

I guess the only real winner is Watson, who gets his money no matter what. 

it's awful for their fan base though

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I honestly don't know how the Browns keep getting themselves in these messes.......you would think at least one person in their FO would recognize that the ship is sinking year in and year out with no land in sight. Just when you think the Browns have made the stupidest decision in franchise history, 10 minutes later, it's like, "hold my beer.......you thought that was stupid, wait till you see this one".

It's almost like a contest in their FO to see who can **** it up the most every season and the sad thing, it's always been this way with Cleveland.

Aye Carumba.

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know there is a lot of talk about these new charges and his salary.  I just think that nothing is going to happen until

into the 2025 season at the earliest.  Watson's lawyers will push this stuff back as far as possible.

Yep, plus add the fact that all the owners are upset about the contract. The NFL, Roger aren't going to act on this anytime soon. They will make idiot Haslam pay for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I honestly don't know how the Browns keep getting themselves in these messes.......you would think at least one person in their FO would recognize that the ship is sinking year in and year out with no land in sight. Just when you think the Browns have made the stupidest decision in franchise history, 10 minutes later, it's like, "hold my beer.......you thought that was stupid, wait till you see this one".

It's almost like a contest in their FO to see who can **** it up the most every season and the sad thing, it's always been this way with Cleveland.

Aye Carumba.

Well right now they've got terrible ownership. 

• Like (+1) 2