Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: 28% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

48 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

My experience of this site long before Watson was a Brown is that Bills fans love to goof on the Browns to make themselves feel better about themselves.  

What's wrong with that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's kinda funny. If folks go back to my first post that started this thread, and even through most of the original pages, it wasnt about Watson being a SAer. It was mostly about how badly the Browns botched this, and laughing at how they handcuffed themselves.

Really a contract/cap discussion.

Heck, as it pertains to my feelings on Watson, I even gave him some (very small) props...

The Broncos signed Wilson the same offseason that the Browns signed Watson.

After 2 bad years, the Broncos were able to move on even though they are eating about $100M in dead cap.

THAT alone should be the worst contract in the history of the NFL.

But the Browns said "hold my beer and watch this".

After 2 bad years, if the Browns wanted to move on, it would cost them $200M in dead cap! And if they want to move on next year, it's still $136M in dead cap!

And even if he plays out his contract, there is an extra void year that will cost the Browns $9M in dead cap in 2027. That's best case scenario.

Just the absolute worst contract ever. At least from the team perspective.

Yep. To me the trade and contract looked  like it was simply a case of an owner throwing a tantrum and demanding that he get his new, shiny toy (aka FQB). In response to a question about it Haslam has even said that he was sick of "being in QB purgatory".

Barring another big off the field incident Watson will be a Brown through at least next season. That's because his guarantees would void. The earliest that they can 

realistically move on from him is after 2025. At that point the Browns could take the lion's share of his salary and cap hit for his last season under contract (2026) and dump him for a throwaway pick. He's obviously got this year and probably next to prove he is worth a but contract though. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What's wrong with that.

Because it is a bullying mentality. The need to pick on a person (or organization) is tied to feelings of inadequacy and insecurity. That should not be confused with calling out a person (or organization) for foolish or morally corrupt behavior. So calling out the Browns for trading so much to acquire Desean Watson and signing him to the huge, fully guaranteed contract is certainly fair game for ridicule. OTOH mocking everything the Browns do simply because they're the Browns would reflect poorly on those doing it.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Because it is a bullying mentality. The need to pick on a person (or organization) is tied to feelings of inadequacy and insecurity. That should not be confused with calling out a person (or organization) for foolish or morally corrupt behavior. So calling out the Browns for trading so much to acquire Desean Watson and signing him to the huge, fully guaranteed contract is certainly fair game for ridicule. OTOH mocking everything the Browns do simply because they're the Browns would reflect poorly on those doing it.

Bullying?  LOL.  It's football fans giving each other the business.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

It tells me fans here are very insecure 

A little schadenfreude between fan bases is healthy. Being able to point out, and even laugh at, mistakes like what the Browns did pulls this board out of our laser focused tunnel vision and reminds us that all the other franchises make mistakes here and there as well, sometimes even bigger than our worst mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bullying?  LOL.  It's football fans giving each other the business.

Not what was being discussed. No harm is some good natured tribalism over largely meaningless sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

My experience of this site long before Watson was a Brown is that Bills fans love to goof on the Browns to make themselves feel better about themselves.  

Lol yeah in a way.

The Browns from 2008-2017 were about as bad as any sports team in any league, ever (42-118). 

On 10/25/2023 at 11:47 AM, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not surprised that I was a little late to the thread to be the first with. “Happy ending” joke but I am surprised I was beaten to the punch by…….Brady Quinn.

Pssh, don’t be callin Keon “slow”.

On 7/29/2024 at 2:33 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Choosing to make me the target in a thread such as this says more about you than anything. Congrats, bro!

Just to be clear, I wasn’t making you a target. I was calling the article stupid and jokingly saying it’s only purpose is to give you a chance to bump your thread to continue clown on the Browns for giving Watson that ridiculous bag. 

A poorly written post, I suppose. But the intention was not malicious in any way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Just to be clear, I wasn’t making you a target. I was calling the article stupid and jokingly saying it’s only purpose is to give you a chance to bump your thread to continue clown on the Browns for giving Watson that ridiculous bag. 

A poorly written post, I suppose. But the intention was not malicious in any way.

All good man. You aint wrong about the bold. This thread is mainly aimed at Haslam and his decision making. Those poor Browns fans are stuck with him for the foreseeable future...

On 7/30/2024 at 2:14 PM, BarleyNY said:

Yep. To me the trade and contract looked  like it was simply a case of an owner throwing a tantrum and demanding that he get his new, shiny toy (aka FQB). In response to a question about it Haslam has even said that he was sick of "being in QB purgatory".

Barring another big off the field incident Watson will be a Brown through at least next season. That's because his guarantees would void. The earliest that they can 

realistically move on from him is after 2025. At that point the Browns could take the lion's share of his salary and cap hit for his last season under contract (2026) and dump him for a throwaway pick. He's obviously got this year and probably next to prove he is worth a but contract though. 

I’d be a little surprised if other teams would want the baggage Watson Carrie’s if they’re not getting a star QB. Signing him near vet minimum? Maybe. Trading for him? probably not.

This could go down as the worst trade and contract in NFL history. They traded for someone who had not played football in over a year and handed him $230,000,000. This was after all of the details came out about his sexual predator nature. The first fully guaranteed contract in NFL history, and it was given to this guy. Unbelievable. He's played a total of 12 games the last two seasons to the tune of 14 TD's to go with 9 INT's, and they are stuck with him through the 2026 season. The Browns organization deserves what they get for rewarding this guy for degenerate behavior. Feel bad for the fans, but that's your boy Haslam. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, H2o said:

This could go down as the worst trade and contract in NFL history. They traded for someone who had not played football in over a year and handed him $230,000,000. This was after all of the details came out about his sexual predator nature. The first fully guaranteed contract in NFL history, and it was given to this guy. Unbelievable. He's played a total of 12 games the last two seasons to the tune of 14 TD's to go with 9 INT's, and they are stuck with him through the 2026 season. The Browns organization deserves what they get for rewarding this guy for degenerate behavior. Feel bad for the fans, but that's your boy Haslam. 

100% in my eyes the worst trade and worst contract ever. 3 first rounders, a 3rd, and 2 4ths. All it cost the Texans was a player who they didn’t want/needed to get rid of, and a 6th rounder.

$230m, fully guaranteed, and a $45m signing bonus was an absolute joke of a contract. He spent 11 games suspended, and only played 12 games since that suspension ended due to injury (or a nasty case of “affluenza” and lethargy). He stands to cost the Browns nearly $64m in cap for the next 3 seasons.

I feel for the fans, I really do, but trash owners paid a trash QB, and all they have to show for it is more trash.

• Like (+1) 2

It was smart that Houston did not bring him back to play in any games. They chose to sit him, which only made his stock rise. They really took the Browns to the cleaners on this one. I feel sorry for Browns fans. They deserve better. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good for Haslam...

You can't expect this guy to come back from his injury and immediately be this good, can you? 

Napoleon Dynamite Rock Throw GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha (+1) 1