Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: 28% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

Will this go down as the worst contract in NFL history? Broncos currently paying Russ a fortune to NOT play for them. The Watson deal could definitely still end up worse

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Will this go down as the worst contract in NFL history? Broncos currently paying Russ a fortune to NOT play for them. The Watson deal could definitely still end up worse

If Watson is bad this year and they want to move on, he carries a $137M dead cap for 2025.

Love to see it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Watson's is definitely worse. Wilson at least had a SB ring, and Denver was able to bite the bullet and move on after 2 years. Big dead money, sure. But still not as big as what is left on Watson's contract.

40 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nvsxk7w0glwodhxmqc

“Miss me?”

I was never a big Baker believer, or even fan. But leave it to the Browns to somehow find a low road to take and make me cheer for the guy.

• Agree 1

The thing is Stefanski seems to be really good at maxing out the ability of his QBs with his play calling.    Not only with Joe Flacco but Jacoby Brisett the year before.  

I mean like Watson the Browns don’t even really need.  

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I cannot think of a more satisfying turn of events than seeing Watson struggle to play quarterback well and seeing the Browns be stuck with his enormous cap hit while watching his backups play better than him.

He's objectively a gross and remorseless person, and I sincerely hope he never plays well in the NFL again, and that the Browns are punished for sacrificing their souls to a deal with the devil by having to pay him obscene amounts of money to languish on the bench while their otherwise championship caliber roster is wasted waiting around for a redemption arc that never comes.

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I just don’t think I could be a Brown’s fan. 

If I were a lifelong Browns fan, I would probably take a break for 5 years or so until Watson is gone and most of the front office responsible for bringing him in has turned over.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

The definition of a coddled, entitled athlete.  And a complete doosh.

Lucky thing the Browns gave him a fully guaranteed contract , very smart move

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

this is a terrible article.

nearly every athlete ever has given the “block out the noise and focus on the team” answer.

I swear, these articles exist to keep @DrDawkinstein going. “Can you believe Deshaun Watson didn’t come out and say he’s sorry he abused all those women at a random TC interview AGAIN this year?”

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

this is a terrible article.

nearly every athlete ever has given the “block out the noise and focus on the team” answer.

I swear, these articles exist to keep @DrDawkinstein going. “Can you believe Deshaun Watson didn’t come out and say he’s sorry he abused all those women at a random TC interview AGAIN this year?”

Choosing to make me the target in a thread such as this says more about you than anything. Congrats, bro!

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Lucky thing the Browns gave him a fully guaranteed contract , very smart move

I would have really loved for the reporter who asked the question to follow it up with "you do understand it was your own behavior that led to the outside bull****, right?"

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

I cannot think of a more satisfying turn of events than seeing Watson struggle to play quarterback well and seeing the Browns be stuck with his enormous cap hit while watching his backups play better than him.

He's objectively a gross and remorseless person, and I sincerely hope he never plays well in the NFL again, and that the Browns are punished for sacrificing their souls to a deal with the devil by having to pay him obscene amounts of money to languish on the bench while their otherwise championship caliber roster is wasted waiting around for a redemption arc that never comes.

This ^^^^

Watson has a bunch of things going against him (self induced for sure), this quote/article isn't really one of them to me.  Most athletes that have faced adversity talk about "blocking out distractions", "getting back to basics" "focusing on what I can control", "believing in myself and my skills".  His phrasing is far from polished, but having a chip on your shoulder and taking on the world is not unique to him.  I don't think it's likely to work out for him, but can't hold it against him for trying.

Edited by Rew
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If I were a lifelong Browns fan, I would probably take a break for 5 years or so until Watson is gone and most of the front office responsible for bringing him in has turned over.

I’m not sure if things can ever get better as long as Haslam is the owner. That sh!t show starts at the top and rolls downhill, ruining everything….as is often the case with cellar dweller franchises. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Rew said:

Watson has a bunch of things going against him (self induced for sure), this quote/article isn't really one of them to me.  Most athletes that have faced adversity talk about "blocking out distractions", "getting back to basics" "focusing on what I can control", "believing in myself and my skills".  His phrasing is far from polished, but having a chip on your shoulder and taking on the world is not unique to him.  I don't think it's likely to work out for him, but can't hold it against him for trying.

No, he looks really dumb here lol he's the one that brought up what wasn't even the question or implied. To use the block out the noise thing specific to the S-A was epically dumb lol he wouldn't be grilled if he'd phrased it as a "me and the team haven't lived up to our expectations" kinda way

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He went to Saudi Arabia.....that is spectacular bad PR "but what if he leaned in to it?" I just can't imagine the thinking there.

I understand Watson has wanted to go to Saudi since his Gifted and Talented Class in elementary school. 

On 10/31/2023 at 10:14 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen can't even raise his arm to give a high 5 to his teammates and Deshaun Watson sits out multiple weeks for a shoulder strain.  Probably needs a massage therapist for that.

I'm not happy with the trade for Watson, wasn't then, and I'm not now obviously. But he had a fracture in his shoulder last year, not a strain.  And he finished the game that it happened in against Baltimore, leading a 4th quarter comeback after being down big early in the game.

Trash the guy all you want, he deserves it, but do it based on facts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I'm not happy with the trade for Watson, wasn't then, and I'm not now obviously. But he had a fracture in his shoulder last year, not a strain.  And he finished the game that it happened in against Baltimore, leading a 4th quarter comeback after being down big early in the game.

Trash the guy all you want, he deserves it, but do it based on facts.

At the time of my post, it was publicly stated it was strain.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-deshaun-watson-shoulder-injury-update-before-colts-game

"Watson described the injury as a strain, or “micro-tear,” of his rotator cuff, which he acknowledged was usually a 4-6 week injury. The injury is in his right throwing shoulder, however, which has affected his ability to adequately throw the football with velocity."

Edited by Royale with Cheese