Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: 28% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

Got a few morsels of info:

- Watson pursuit was led by Haslam and Depodesta

- League is looking to hammer him on recent accusation, expect another suspension 

- Browns were unaware of recent accusation when signing him

- A suspension will give the Browns the ability to void his unpaid guaranteed money and cut him, but it’s still gonna hurt from a cap standpoint due to dead money

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

On 9/10/2024 at 1:17 PM, Ballhawk said:

After that contract went south I didn't think we'd see so much guaranteed money for QB's, then I just saw Dak's contract which is basically all guaranteed. Admittedly he's not the same risk, but still... seems like a risky way to do business.

I always found it odd that contracts weren’t 100% guaranteed in the NFL. Other than a punishing buyout, the NHL has fully guaranteed deals. 

On 9/10/2024 at 4:21 PM, H2o said:

Which truly makes me smile, to see Mayfield having a resurgence of sorts and Watson's play fall off a cliff. 

It's inconceivable to me that Watson, with as much promise as he had coming out of Houston, could tank his career the way he has since joining Cleveland. At first, I too was happy that their desperation trade (that ignored some serious red flags) blew up in their face, but now some part of me feels bad for Browns fans.

I can't help but feel a certain kinship with fanbases that have been exposed to long-term suffering...

19 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I always found it odd that contracts weren’t 100% guaranteed in the NFL. Other than a punishing buyout, the NHL has fully guaranteed deals. 

It is odd. What I find odd however, is that teams would undermine a precedent the NFL has worked hard to maintain. I always assumed there was some collusion on the part of GMs and owner's to maintain low-risk contracts in the arguably the highest injury laden sport.

Guess winning at all costs makes some teams desperate enough to break ranks... 

On 9/10/2024 at 2:03 PM, mannc said:

Hell, it would have been in the Browns’ interest to set up a sting operation.

Dude, this is not a wild opinion.  I could see this legitimately happening.  There is so much money on the line with this Watson contract that I would not be surprised if this actually happened.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, this is not a wild opinion.  I could see this legitimately happening.  There is so much money on the line with this Watson contract that I would not be surprised if this actually happened.  

Haslam isn’t above doing something like that.

21 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

NFL gives out signing bonus money instead. NBA and MLB deals are fully guaranteed but there is no up front money. That's why guys want new deals in the NFL. That's where they get actual money paid.  The late years in a NFL contract are usually funny numbers that will never be paid and just used to decrease the annual cap hit of the deal.

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

It's inconceivable to me that Watson, with as much promise as he had coming out of Houston, could tank his career the way he has since joining Cleveland. At first, I too was happy that their desperation trade (that ignored some serious red flags) blew up in their face, but now some part of me feels bad for Browns fans.

I can't help but feel a certain kinship with fanbases that have been exposed to long-term suffering...

I feel bad for the fans because they didn't ask for this. But I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for Haslam and anyone else who had a hand in this move within the Browns organization.

43 minutes ago, H2o said:

I feel bad for the fans because they didn't ask for this. But I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for Haslam and anyone else who had a hand in this move within the Browns organization.

And what about the teams who were part of the bidding process and were "losing bidders?

What a relief it must be if they still are working for those franchises!

https://deadspin.com/nfl-teams-chomping-at-the-bit-to-sign-deshaun-watson-1848646118/

In that story, it was revealed that multiple teams are prepared to alienate segments of their fanbases because they’re trying to replace a departed QB, are too incompetent to find a QB, or couldn’t keep the QB they had happy. Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, and Cleveland have all shown interest in acquiring Watson.

• Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, H2o said:

no but they seemed pretty excited and welcoming of it when they thought they were getting a HoF qb. I seen many browns fans trying to act like Watson did nothing wrong and defending him on twitter. 

23 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The NFLPA is the weakest of the players’ unions in major league sports. MLB has had the strongest. NFL owners have fought tooth and nail to limit contract guarantees, keep fifth year options for first round picks and keep franchise and transition tags in play. 

4 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

Screw Browns fans. They supported that jackass regarding his dozens of other allegations. The ONLY reason they are backing away from him now is because his play has sucked.

Edited by Beast