Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: 28% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If there is truth to these new allegations, I wished the young lady would have come forth back when all the other stuff was happening.

All that has happened is Watson has collected a whole lot of money since.

A whole lot of money that can be won in a settlement...

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is the absolute best thing to happen to the browns. Void it; let him sue in arbitration; and regardless, browns come out ahead. 

Makes me wonder if the Browns had investigators out there pounding the pavement looking for another victim. It does potentially work to their advantage ...

Edited by Commish
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting how the other accuser waited until Watson had a terrible game to prove that he's not the same QB anymore. Maybe they are one of the Browns fans that wants them to bring back Flacco

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, K D said:

Interesting how the other accuser waited until Watson had a terrible game to prove that he's not the same QB anymore. Maybe they are one of the Browns fans that wants them to bring back Flacco

Or the person who wants to goad him into a healthy settlement knowing the financial risks in his side following that performance.  The reality is that counsels probably talked about this one for a bit, P shows D the complaint before it was filed, D said to litigate it, and P put it in the news after a mediocre performance to give him

another reason to sweat. 

I'll bet after the game yesterday the Haslems are feeling pretty stupid for agreeing to that contract although it does do my heart good to see Watson get pounded into the turf !! He probably laughs every single day when he looks at his bank account but it wouldn't surprise me if he blew through all that cash & 1 day we are reading about him being broke !! 

its just so crazy to me how they shipped out mayfield for watson.

i could see them not wanting mayfield anymore, perhaps thinking they would have had to pay him a dan jones type contract (there is a strange path dependence to these things, if your team ditches you, " you aren't worth it" and you don't get big money, but if you want to keep your 4th year rook contract qb, you "have to pay him"), but in hind sight that woulda been a steal vs what they have done, and frankly i think baker would have been worth it (cap inflation adjusted).

him having to sit for a year (almost), him costing those insane picks, and that nutso contract: any one of those is a great reason not to roll the dice to upgrade on what they had, but all three (and the character and criminal concerns on top of that!) of them make it just so shocking.

this kind of puts into perspective the "overpays" that sf has had for guys (chase young was obv a bad move, but cmc was a good one), and the rams have like every other season.  those teams got serious high quality players with no hair on them, who came in and balled out in exchange for good draft position picks.  

the concept of an over pay is so often over done, with russ wilson and this clown just destroying franchises.

5 hours ago, Commish said:

Makes me wonder if the Browns had investigators out there pounding the pavement looking for another victim. It does potentially work to their advantage ...

Hell, it would have been in the Browns’ interest to set up a sting operation.

• Haha (+1) 1

After that contract went south I didn't think we'd see so much guaranteed money for QB's, then I just saw Dak's contract which is basically all guaranteed. Admittedly he's not the same risk, but still... seems like a risky way to do business.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

its just so crazy to me how they shipped out mayfield for watson.

Which truly makes me smile, to see Mayfield having a resurgence of sorts and Watson's play fall off a cliff. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Weird how his contract is all of a sudden publically available 

I wonder though how long this will take to actually go down... like the investigation will take this season, then the suspension wont come till sometime next season so they are still on the hook with this guy for at least this year and part of next. I wouldnt put it past the NFL to drag their feet in the suspension to punish the Browns especially if this guy is benched...  Now dont get me wrong, I dont want them to be done any favors for their stupidity, I would like them to have to pay and stew in it.. then again, I dont want him to get paid either cause he is a sc$mbag IMO. Either way this guy and the Browns are a cluster.... 

On 9/10/2024 at 10:18 AM, RoscoeParrish said:

The crazy thing about Watson is that his contract really hasn’t even kicked in yet from a cap standpoint.

They kicked the can down to understandably try to build around him, but they are gonna be left holding the bag through 2026 at least.

I usually champion the expertise of GMs over the knowledge of fans like us.  I think it's silly when we fans think we're smarter than professional GMs (or coaches) who dedicate years to their craft.  

But virtually every fan in America thought the Watson contract was whacked when it first hit the media.  And we were right.  Of course, we were right.  Even for a team with a need for a QB, it was a giant gamble to give out a huge guaranteed contract to a guy with serious character issues as well as ongoing legal problems.   Even Mahomes and Allen didn't have fully guaranteed contracts.