Deshaun Watson: Trust Fund Baby (UPDATE: 28% through Contract)

DrDawkinstein

On 10/25/2023 at 8:10 AM, benderbender said:

I still can't believe that Haslam wasn't voted out on that contract alone. 

I will forever never understand how anyone can let a QB who has off field lingering issues still who needs to find a new team to play for convince them to give him a 100% guarantee contract.  Not only does this look beyond stupid today, it was beyond stupid the moment the news broke.  

No player should ever get 100% guarantee contract, let alone a guy who is a total POS off the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Will this go down as the worst contract in NFL history? Broncos currently paying Russ a fortune to NOT play for them. The Watson deal could definitely still end up worse

This makes me feel better about some of our bad contracts.  (For example, paying Diggs $31 million to play for another team this season).  

On 10/25/2023 at 8:37 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

POShaun Watson should be in jail.  Calling him a POS is insulting to POSs. 

Why do you even care what Deshaun Watson did or did not do?  He was never charged with a crime.  If what he did was a crime he would be in prison like Darren Sharper.  You know what Sharper did right?  

Sure he seems to be a big time sketch guy.  But the moral sanctimonious outrage that people have in this world towards stuff that doesn’t personally affect them is just way too over the top.  Unless he is messing with my daughter, I am not losing sleep over Deshaun Watson at this point.  I have way bigger fish to fry bro.  

Most people can’t take care of their own business, let alone worry about everyone else’s.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, LeviF said:

If Watson is bad this year and they want to move on, he carries a $137M dead cap for 2025.

Love to see it.

Hopefully Browns ownership is smart enough to work with their criminal contacts to set him up for a contract violation meaning they can not pay subsequent years and take him to court to get prorated signing bonus back but I doubt they are. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At the time of my post, it was publicly stated it was strain.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-deshaun-watson-shoulder-injury-update-before-colts-game

"Watson described the injury as a strain, or “micro-tear,” of his rotator cuff, which he acknowledged was usually a 4-6 week injury. The injury is in his right throwing shoulder, however, which has affected his ability to adequately throw the football with velocity."

That's my fault.  I read back but didn't see this was old.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why do you even care what Deshaun Watson did or did not do?  He was never charged with a crime.  If what he did was a crime he would be in prison like Darren Sharper.  You know what Sharper did right?  

Sure he seems to be a big time sketch guy.  But the moral sanctimonious outrage that people have in this world towards stuff that doesn’t personally affect them is just way too over the top.  Unless he is messing with my daughter, I am not losing sleep over Deshaun Watson at this point.  I have way bigger fish to fry bro.  

Most people can’t take care of their own business, let alone worry about everyone else’s.  

I think "caring" and "finding it interesting" are two different things.

I don't care about Deshaun Watson and his story.  It makes no difference in my life.

It is interesting, though, that a team gave a guy like him a $230,000,000 contract and fully guaranteed it.  To make the story even more interesting, the best QB play they've had since then was with QBs other than Deshaun Watson.  

Weird and unique things are always interesting and this is a weird, unique situation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What bigger fish do you have to fry, bro?  Name 5 bigger fish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

People forget that the Houston Texans set the hotel rooms up for him, helped enable him, and they got off scott-free. It was a PR nightmare for the NFL, who decided to punish the Cleveland organization because of the silly guaranteed contract, and suspend him for 11 games. 

No excuses for Watson's behavior. Remember though, all this stuff came out after Watson had a hissy fit with the owner about not being involved in the GM search. So they exposed him and his deeds while he was a Texan. So instead of punishing that organization, Goodell punished Cleveland for signing him....pretty ass-backwards if you think about it. 

• Disagree 2

On 10/25/2023 at 11:03 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Couldnt be happier this is happening to Haslam.

At least this puts the whole "guaranteed contract" argument to rest.

He's going to play, but he won't put in the work. It's that simple. You don't put in the work, you won't be good. Why give guaranteed money to a person of proven questionable character? Browns would have been better off tanking and picking a quarterback in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

First, for personal reasons and experience, I care about scum like POShaun, Weinstein, Polansky, and others who sexually abuse women.  We need to call it out when it happens.  If minimizing and piling on to my pain helps you in some way, then God Bless ya, but I'd prefer if you just went along your way.  Glad you have bigger fish to fry, more power to ya.

He was never charged with a crime.  Jesus.  It was a series of he said, she saids, with the imprimatur of the NFL behind it.  If I'm a DA, I have to go after a POShaun who has more money than God, who will bury me in motions for a decade before we ever even depose a witness.  The state has serious resources but they don't have $.23B.  Here are the things we know.  Dude went through at least 30 massage therapists (that we know of, there are likely many more that never came forward because POShaun would destroy them by slut shaming them).  Who does that?  Wouldn't he just find a masseuse that works and stay with them?  No, because clearly he was only interested in the Happy Ending.

Your last sentence crossed the line.  I take care of my business.  You should take your own advice and stay out of mine.  

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You really think the only measure is guilty or not in a court of law?    Do you have any idea how imperfect the justice system is?   And who is saying sharper should be in the league or something?   How is that relevant to anything?

15 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This makes me feel better about some of our bad contracts.  (For example, paying Diggs $31 million to play for another team this season).  

money well spent

anyway, Watson was always a flash in the pan

23 hours ago, FireChans said:

this is a terrible article.

nearly every athlete ever has given the “block out the noise and focus on the team” answer.

I swear, these articles exist to keep @DrDawkinstein going. “Can you believe Deshaun Watson didn’t come out and say he’s sorry he abused all those women at a random TC interview AGAIN this year?”

First thought on seeing the link was, “Oh boy, what did he say now?” That’s was probably the point of it though. Let’s face it - and how can I put  this delicately? He likes to show off that Clemson education. Ahem. But then it was nothing but him saying he’s going to block out the noise, focus on football and try to be the best teammate he can be. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

First thought on seeing the link was, “Oh boy, what did he say now?” That’s was probably the point of it though. Let’s fact it - and how can I put  this delicately? He likes to show off that Clemson education. Ahem. But then it was nothing but him saying he’s going to block out the noise, focus on football and try to be the best teammate he can be. 

It's kinda funny. If folks go back to my first post that started this thread, and even through most of the original pages, it wasnt about Watson being a SAer. It was mostly about how badly the Browns botched this, and laughing at how they handcuffed themselves.

Really a contract/cap discussion.

Heck, as it pertains to my feelings on Watson, I even gave him some (very small) props...

On 10/25/2023 at 11:23 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

While it's obvious and apparent that Watson is his own kind of scumbag, I also believe/know that owners like Haslam and McNair are even bigger scumbags.

And while I dont support Watson as a person, I'm always for players milking as much cash out of the league as possible. So I almost want to say... good for him?

I guess I'm saying I'm not surprsied he isnt "more appreciative", and I'd also argue he has already taken full advantage of his opportunity. To the tune of 230,000,000 fully guaranteed dollars.

That's the problem. As we all discovered, Watson doesnt like pulling himself.

The Broncos signed Wilson the same offseason that the Browns signed Watson.

After 2 bad years, the Broncos were able to move on even though they are eating about $100M in dead cap.

THAT alone should be the worst contract in the history of the NFL.

But the Browns said "hold my beer and watch this".

After 2 bad years, if the Browns wanted to move on, it would cost them $200M in dead cap! And if they want to move on next year, it's still $136M in dead cap!

And even if he plays out his contract, there is an extra void year that will cost the Browns $9M in dead cap in 2027. That's best case scenario.

Just the absolute worst contract ever. At least from the team perspective.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What bigger fish do you have to fry, bro?  Name 5 bigger fish.

Well....a couple weeks ago I caught a sizeable sea bass, and the fillets were most excellent and tasty when brushed with lemon juice, coated with breadcrumbs, and fried.

24 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

My experience of this site long before Watson was a Brown is that Bills fans love to goof on the Browns to make themselves feel better about themselves.  

True, but there wasn't much choice; the Browns were the only ones you could count on consistently to screw up more than the Bills during the drought years.  Even the Jets would have a decent year once in a while.

Edited by Billy Claude