Three Downs to Total 10 Yards or Three Tries to Get 10 yards

Chaos

3 hours ago, skibum said:

I never understood why teams run the ball so often on first down. A first down in football should be like a first serve in tennis. Go for broke, because you still have 2-3 more downs if the pass doesn't connect. Best time to chuck it long, that's what I say. 

You run it on first down to keep the opponent from rushing free to your QB and it opens things up for play action etc. Toss in if do it enough you can tire a defense out. 

5 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Good stuff, Chaos.  I have a very similar take.

Right now, in the passing game, we can almost pick up 6-7 yards at will.  The problem is, if you toss in a run for no game during a set of downs, then you have to be money on third down and all it takes is a dropped pass, a blown assignment by an olineman, etc. and you are punting. This is what happened against the jags.  A lot of punting on 4th and less than 2 because of a dropped pass or a bad run earlier in the set of downs.  It is also important to realize that not all run games are created equal.  I'm not saying don't run.  I'm saying that SF can run when they are behind the sticks, but we should only do that rarely.  

And please stop that junky delayed, shotgun handoff to Cook.  

The delayed handoff to Cook reminds me of Spiller in the Hackett offense lol

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is exactly what they did, no idea what this thread is about.   The Patriots did not win all those SB's because they had an unstoppable offense.  There are no offensive systems designed to get 3.33 yard per play or any that attempt to get 10 years  at least one every three, that is just not at all how to think about it.  A running play is not "designed" to gain 4 yards.  You gameplan based on what you do well and what the opponent does not, you try to exploit matchups.   

Do you have data to support this?

I agree that you do not understand the thread. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.