White helmet years were mostly bad times

I started following the Bills seriously in 1966 when I was 8 years old. To me the "White Helmet" years of the Bills were bad times! Season after miserable season, including several one-win campaigns. When Jim Kelly joined the Bills and we switched to the Red helmets, the team was reborn into a consistant contender.

I decided to do a little number-crunching and this is what I came up with:

WHITE HELMET BILLS:

157 wins - 224 losses - 8 ties .414 winning pct.

9 winning seasons - 17 losing seasons - 1 even season

RED HELMET BILLS:

165 wins - 122 losses - 0 ties .575 winning pct.

11 winning seasons - 5 losing seasons - 2 even seasons

To me the RED HELMET BILLS represent success. The WHITE HELMET BILLS represent futility. The numbers show why.

Don't get me wrong! I think the throwback jerseys look sharp, and uniforms havng noting to do with winning or losing. I just have trouble understanding why a number of fans pine for the old look when it represents such a painful era for the Bills.

PTR

RED HELMET BILLS:

165 wins - 122 losses - 0 ties  .575 winning pct.

351557[/snapback]

RED HELMET BILLS before Tom Donahoe

139-84-0: .623

10 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons, 1 even season

RED HELMET BILLS under Tom Donahoe

26-38-0: .406

1 winning season, 2 losing seasons, 1 even season

its not the helmet, its whats inside that counts <_<

I started following the Bills seriously in 1966 when I was 8 years old.  To me the "White Helmet" years of the Bills were bad times!  Season after miserable season, including several one-win campaigns.  When Jim Kelly joined the Bills and we switched to the Red helmets, the team was reborn into a consistant contender.

WHITE HELMET BILLS:

157 wins - 224 losses - 8 ties  .414 winning pct.

RED HELMET BILLS:

To me the RED HELMET BILLS represent success.  The WHITE HELMET BILLS represent futility.  The numbers show why. 

Don't get me wrong! I think the throwback jerseys look sharp, and uniforms havng noting to do with winning or losing.  I just have trouble understanding why a number of fans pine for the old look when it represents such a painful era for the Bills.

PTR

351557[/snapback]

The 1964 and 1965 teams are the only true championships the Bills had and they were wearing the white helmets.

The white helmets are the Buffalo Bills. Okay, technically the first year, they had plain silver helmets, with no logo. But, anyway, the Bills tradition, good or bad,win or lose, was built wearing those white helmets. As great as the teams of the early 90's were, it was those old geasers in the 1960's that won the only championships in the franchises' history. I suspect that the diversity of opinions is based in large part of the age of the fan. Kind of like "Star Wars". I am 40. I was 11 when the first "Star Wars" flick came out. To me, it is far and away the best of all, no matter how much better everyone claims the following ones were. Couldn't pay me to see the new one, but it doesn't diminish my love of the first one!

The 1964 and 1965 teams are the only true championships the Bills had and they were wearing the white helmets.

351563[/snapback]

The Bills were not the true champions of pro football in those years. They had some great teams, but their achievements don't stack up to the 1990's AFC champion Bills. Although I think the AFL Bills never did finish out of the top 8 in any given year. <_<<_<

The Bills were not the true champions of pro football in those years.  They had some great teams, but their achievements don't stack up to the 1990's AFC champion Bills.  Although I think the AFL Bills never did finish out of the top 8 in any given year. :lol:  :lol:

351692[/snapback]

Disagree. They won the AFL title and that was a league of it's own. The 90's team were great also but they did not come in first place in their league :lol:

OK, using that logic, my son's little league team are champs cuz they won their six team league in a small town in PA. As opposed to the year that they went to the state tourney and came in second -- I don't think the two even compare. Second in the state tourney is better than winning your six team league without a state tourney.

OK, using that logic, my son's little league team are champs cuz they won their six team league in a small town in PA.  As opposed to the year that they went to the state tourney and came in second -- I don't think the two even compare.  Second in the state tourney is better than winning your six team league without a state tourney.

351845[/snapback]

I guess it's how you look at it. JMO.

I started following the Bills seriously in 1966 when I was 8 years old.  To me the "White Helmet" years of the Bills were bad times!  Season after miserable season, including several one-win campaigns.  When Jim Kelly joined the Bills and we switched to the Red helmets, the team was reborn into a consistant contender.

WHITE HELMET BILLS:

157 wins - 224 losses - 8 ties  .414 winning pct.

RED HELMET BILLS:

To me the RED HELMET BILLS represent success.  The WHITE HELMET BILLS represent futility.  The numbers show why. 

Don't get me wrong! I think the throwback jerseys look sharp, and uniforms havng noting to do with winning or losing.  I just have trouble understanding why a number of fans pine for the old look when it represents such a painful era for the Bills.

PTR

351557[/snapback]

the gored-buffalo-in-a-sea-of-its-own-blood helmets are a fashion disaster. they're painful to look at. some teams actually have cool logos and uniforms -- the raiders, the colts, the steelers, the cowboys. the bills aren't one of those teams, but they used to be. i don't care so much about the uniforms (although i prefer the old ones strictly on fashion and not nostalgia grounds). it's the helmets that need to go.

RED HELMET BILLS before Tom Donahoe

139-84-0: .623

10 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons, 1 even season

RED HELMET BILLS under Tom Donahoe

26-38-0: .406

1 winning season, 2 losing seasons, 1 even season

its not the helmet, its whats inside that counts :lol:

351560[/snapback]

Please delete this post before "The Others" catch you.

the gored-buffalo-in-a-sea-of-its-own-blood helmets are a fashion disaster.  they're painful to look at.  some teams actually have cool logos and uniforms -- the raiders, the colts, the steelers, the cowboys.  the bills aren't one of those teams, but they used to be. i don't care so much about the uniforms (although i prefer the old ones strictly on fashion and not nostalgia grounds). it's the helmets that need to go.

352037[/snapback]

The Steelers? They ripped their logo off of the US Steel industry ... I know the name is connected, but cool logo? Any logo that contains all three primary colors should be outlawed. Most art students know that, kinda like most music students follow proper music theory in writing music ... I guess the composers of the 20th century missed that memo, just like the early US Steel industry.

No possible way to please everybody. SOMEONE will always B word about our uniforms no matter what they look like.  :lol:

352143[/snapback]

This is turning into a freakin' game of Post Office! READ MY POST!!!!! I'm not bitchin' about the throwback unis!!!! I like them!!!! I am only wondering why people feel so nostalgic about a period in Bills history when the lost more than they won!!!!!!!

DO I HAVE TO FREAKING YELL IT OUT???????

PTR

The Steelers?  They ripped their logo off of the US Steel industry ... I know the name is connected, but cool logo?  Any logo that contains all three primary colors should be outlawed.  Most art students know that, kinda like most music students follow proper music theory in writing music ... I guess the composers of the 20th century missed that memo, just like the early US Steel industry.

352123[/snapback]

i love the steelers helmet - it's unique and has character. i like 1930s industrial design a lot, and that's where the logo comes from. i understand why others might not, but at least it's not an aerodynamic animal/human charging forward.