Pit Bulls

Frez

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to believe it's right in the dogs bloodlines. I can see this breed being banned all over the USA in a few years or maybe even sooner. I know a few states now that this dog breed has been banned.

12 year old boy killed by family pet

351506[/snapback]

Obviously a result of breeding (if you can call it that) for the characteristics that are incompatible with a family pet. It can happen with any breed, just so much more dangerous with powerful ones. When I was a child, it was German Shepards and Dobermans that had the bad name. Well bred, properly trained pit bulls are as much a joy to be around as other breeds. Unfortunately, there has been so much emphasis on breeding aggressive antisocial traits that it becomes more difficult to find a good dog of this breed. I would not expect to get "lucky" with a good one from the pound, as you could with a breed that hasn't been targeted by idiots. And when they're bad, the damage they can cause is much worse than a breed that doesn't have the same physical prowess.

If chihuahua's were 90-100lbs full grown, they would be on the news for the damage they cause. They're not, because you can drop-kick them. But I'll bet there's quite a few that are aggressive and anti-social because they come from a poor bloodline and are poorly trained. It's just not newsworthy because they can't do the damage a larger dog can.

Simply put, it's capitalism run wild. People who have no business breeding animals are doing so because it's a pretty easy way to make a couple of grand. People who have no business owning them buy from the cheapest guy - you get what you pay for.

I have a neighbor who has some kind of puntable who's doing it. She told me she was breeding her two (one of which may be the worst behaved dog I've ever seen). I asked her why she would want to put even more of those awful things on the planet.

Guess the answer.

Now take a look at the situation. Quite likely these dogs didn't get enough exercise (being apartment dwellers) and the child likely wasn't taught how to properly handle the dogs. Recipe for disaster.

Simply put, it's capitalism run wild.  People who have no business breeding animals are doing so because it's a pretty easy way to make a couple of grand.  People who have no business owning them buy from the cheapest guy - you get what you pay for.

351551[/snapback]

Have you ever raised puppies? We've done three litters of GSPs. Even for $500/puppy (with AKC papers and good hunting and excellent, mellow temperament bloodlines) with an average of 8 pups, I would be surprised if it came out to $4 an hour spent taking care of them and dealing with/instructing buyers after vet and food expenses. <_< You don't do it to get rich, that's for sure.

As for the original question, as with most questions that asks a cause b/w a) or b), the answer is, 'Both.' Dogs that have somewhat been bred for aggressiveness combined with sh--head owners. There are several cities around here that have banned them. Sucks for the good dogs that are being lumped in with the bad. But after so many incidents, especially stuff like this, what can you do but shrug and say, 'I dunno.'

Have you ever raised puppies? We've done three litters of GSPs. Even for $500/puppy (with AKC papers and good hunting and excellent, mellow temperament bloodlines) with an average of 8 pups, I would be surprised if it came out to $4 an hour spent taking care of them and dealing with/instructing buyers after vet and food expenses. <_< You don't do it to get rich, that's for sure.

As for the original question, as with most questions that asks a cause b/w a) or b), the answer is, 'Both.' Dogs that have somewhat been bred for aggressiveness combined with sh--head owners. There are several cities around here that have banned them. Sucks for the good dogs that are being lumped in with the bad. But after so many incidents, especially stuff like this, what can you do but shrug and say, 'I dunno.'

351565[/snapback]

We're not talking about the type of people who do it the right way. Think about it. In reality, they don't even have to do it more than once for it to create the ripple effect far down the line.

I wouldn't say "so many incidents." That's not really fair and is just another media creation.

We're not talking about the type of people who do it the right way.  Think about it.  In reality, they don't even have to do it more than once for it to create the ripple effect far down the line.

I wouldn't say "so many incidents."  That's not really fair and is just another media creation.

351583[/snapback]

That is exactly what I was gonna reply.

UConn is doing it right... The shady people are jumping steps to raise get more money.

We're not talking about the type of people who do it the right way.  Think about it.  In reality, they don't even have to do it more than once for it to create the ripple effect far down the line.

I wouldn't say "so many incidents."  That's not really fair and is just another media creation.

351583[/snapback]

Well, that phrase was overly generic. but for example, in Providence there have been several severe attacks by pit bulls in the last few years. CDC reports that pit bulls and Rottweillers are "the most likely to kill and seriously maim." And in this report:

During 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997 and 9 in 1998). At least 25 breeds of dogs have been involved in 238 human DBRF during the past 20 years. Pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were involved in more than half of these deaths.

So, I don't know; it's unfair to categorize an entire breed but take no action about Rotties or Shepards which are among the most frequent all-category biters, but the areas that have banned them felt the need to do so. I wouldn't hazard to say whether this is wrong or right.

Obviously a result of breeding (if you can call it that) for the characteristics that are incompatible with a family pet. It can happen with any breed, just so much more dangerous with powerful ones. When I was a child, it was German Shepards and Dobermans that had the bad name. Well bred, properly trained pit bulls are as much a joy to be around as other breeds. Unfortunately, there has been so much emphasis on breeding aggressive antisocial traits that it becomes more difficult to find a good dog of this breed. I would not expect to get "lucky" with a good one from the pound, as you could with a breed that hasn't been targeted by idiots. And when they're bad, the damage they can cause is much worse than a breed that doesn't have the same physical prowess.

If chihuahua's were 90-100lbs full grown, they would be on the news for the damage they cause. They're not, because you can drop-kick them. But I'll bet there's quite a few that are aggressive and anti-social because they come from a poor bloodline and are poorly trained. It's just not newsworthy because they can't do the damage a larger dog can.

351526[/snapback]

The breed's naturally aggressive...but don't forget to mention that a lack of proper training and ownership can exacerbate that greatly. I used to know a guy that trained Shepherds for police work...those dogs were aggressive as hell, but he took proper precautions with them and trained them properly, and when he was done they were relatively (i.e. if you didn't do anything breathtakingly stupid like attack its owner) safe to be around. Conversely, back in college I knew a girl who had her lower leg ripped off by two attack-trained rotweillers that some yahoo off-campus kept as pets and trained as attack dogs...they got loose on-campus because he didn't take any precautions or train them with any sense of discipline (ultimately, the police had to shoot the dogs before anyone else got hurt. The consensus was that they should have tried to save the dogs and shot the dumbass owner).

But then...I also once knew a guy who kept a rotweiller, trained it with discipline, basically turned it into a decent pet. For the first two years I knew him, the dog was always happy to see me, friendly, and wanting to be petted. Then suddenly for no apparrent reason one day, as I was leaving, the dog decided he was going to take a hunk out of my backside. Though I'd like to think that's a rare case of an otherwise well-handled and -raised dog having a bad day, those breeds really ARE aggressive.

How to survive a Pit Bull Attack

You have to cut off it's air supply at its neck and make it pass out.  If you can't do that, you're toast.

351622[/snapback]

Or, this may be a little more difficult, but try to grab the back legs and pull them outward. This crushes their spines and usually results in death.

Ex co-worker of mine told me this as his family bred pit bulls.

351526[/snapback]

<_< that would be some pretty funny stuff to see someone drop kick a chihuahua. I've encountered a lot of different dogs in my neighborhood and the most viciious dog I've ever met was my friends chihuahua's those critters might be small but that was the nastiest dog I've ever met It would constantly try to bite you as you walked by.

I don't think it was from training or poor bloodline as much as it was just uber territorial. It just didn't like people or other animals outside of his human family.

My neighbor who's a cop btw when he first moved in brought with him a pitbull and 4 rotweillers. Why I don't know other than this guy is a douche. One day the pitbull was barking at some kids playing stickball in a parking lot when he charged and jumped over the fence. Lucky for the kids the dog was tied to a leash and ended up hanging himself. His rots while they haven't attacked anyone that I know of , well around here you just know not to walk past his house

<_<  that would be some pretty funny stuff to see someone drop kick a chihuahua.  I've encountered a lot of different dogs in my neighborhood and the most viciious dog I've ever met was my friends chihuahua's  those critters might be small  but that was the nastiest dog I've ever met  It would constantly try to bite you as you walked by.

I  don't think it was from training or poor bloodline as much as it was just uber territorial.  It just didn't like people or other animals outside of his human family. 

My neighbor who's a cop btw when he first moved in brought with him a pitbull and 4 rotweillers. Why I don't know other than this guy is a douche.  One day the pitbull was barking at some kids playing stickball  in a parking lot when he charged and jumped over the fence.  Lucky for the kids the dog was tied to a leash and ended up hanging himself.  His rots while they haven't attacked anyone that I know of , well around here you just know not to walk past his house

351683[/snapback]

My mother used to work in a plastic surgeon's office. They used to get about three people a month who came in to have reconstructive surgery (usually, to their noses) after being attacked by - and I am not making this up - Lhasa Apsos. Seems the pure-bred ones, having been bred to be guard dogs by whoever needed stuff guarded in the Himalayas way-back-when ( <_< ), are very twitchy and downright vicious...but since they're about the size of your average cat, people pick them up and say "Awwww...lookit the wittle puppy...", and...CHOMP! Nose is gone.

Personally, having been around lots of dogs; the only two breeds I don't like are rotweillers (for the story I related in a previous post), and Lhasas. I've actually been attacked by every single pure-bred Lhasa (four) I've ever seen...fortunately, since they're the size of a soccer ball, they don't do a hell of a lot of damage and are easy to defend against. But if they were the size of pit bulls, we'd be hearing calls to ban them as well...

Or, this may be a little more difficult, but try to grab the back legs and pull them outward.  This crushes their spines and usually results in death. 

Ex co-worker of mine told me this as his family bred pit bulls.

351670[/snapback]

That sounds like it will work. I know of two that had to be put down because of defective hips.

:w00t: In defining the problem, I lean in the direction of breeding -- the owners, perhaps more than the dogs. Too many cretins attempt to turn a quick buck by just producing more dogs (while so many potentillly loving mutts - are euthenized every day) for a quick sale. As one poster noted, dog breeding (done right) is not a big profit operation. But these losers disregard a dog's temperament, genetically transferable defects, etc. in order to make a few quick bucks. We need to shut down these "people" who run the puppy mills that have made pit bulls, Rottweilers, etc. into unpredictable time bombs and turn dog breeding over to responsible, intelligent, caring people who genuinely care about dogs, not the beer money they can provide or the lottery tickets they can buy.

I love Pit Bulls! They are beautiful dogs and the ones I have known are kind and gentle. My friend has a fat cat and a big Pit Bull and her cat kicks the sh-- out of the Pit Bull. Its all in upbringing IMO. It is a huge responsibility to the owner if they are gonna raise a large dog. The owner must establish he is the alpha male and that the dog is second. No sleeping in the same beds, no allowing the dog to enter a door ahead of you, if the puppy bites you you bite it back hard in its nose, etc. Between pitbulls being raised by people that did not know what the hell they are doing and the jackasses who teach the dog to fight- thats where pitbulls get nasty. If you are ever attacked by a dog ball up, cover your head with your arms. Any dog attack the dog wants to establish domination. Once you are in a submissive pose the attack stops. The only attacks that continue are dogs trained to attack. The only dog breed I really dont care for is German Shepards. They are scary protective and they are the dog most likely to turn on their owners. Pit bulls are great dogs

The only dog breed I really dont care for is German Shepards.  They are scary protective and they are the dog most likely to turn on their owners.  Pit bulls are great dogs

352515[/snapback]

Scary protective yes, but turning on their owners? Having a Shepard I have read plenty on them and this type of behavior has never been mentioned. Maybe you experienced something like this, but for a properly trained Shepard this type of behavior is not common.

Like you said though it's completely an issue of establishing dominance and properly training the animal. If you decide to go with a large breed dog, or a breed that has aggressive tendencies, you better be on the spot with its training or you’re putting other people and your family at risk.