Israel and Iran

25 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I can, however, be very critical of Bibi and his one-man quest for war. 

His "quest for war?"

He's defending his country from seven belligerents, all funded, trained armed and equipped from one country that has a countdown to Israel's destruction in a main marketplace in their capital.

"If you want war, we are masters of war," reads the slogan at the top, written in Farsi. The slogan underneath, in Hebrew, reads: "Israel must be wiped from the face of the earth and this is the beginning of the story."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Decimated Hezbollah says it is ready for cease-fire talks with Israel

by Ronny Reyes

Hezbollah said Tuesday it is now ready to engage in cease-fire talks with Israel, after suffering serious blows to its leadership and ranks in recent months. The terror group in Lebanon made the announcement after firing more than 100 rockets at the Jewish state hours earlier.

Hezbollah’s deputy secretary general, Naim Qassem, publicly endorsed a truce with Israel, the first such time the terror group has proposed a cease-fire not conditioned on the war in Gaza. “We support the political efforts led by [Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih] Berri under the banner of achieving a cease-fire,” Qassem said, according to a CNN translation.

https://nypost.com/2024/10/08/world-news/decimated-hezbollah-says-it-is-ready-for-cease-fire-talks-with-israel/

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, sherpa said:

I hesitate to respond because I don't want to be disagreeable, but if anyone can do it, it would be the US with an assist from Israel's human intel capability.

The Iranians are not stupid. Their nuc program is dispersed over many sites, suggesting some degree of redundancy, and it is underground.

It would takes many days, if not weeks to eliminate it.

The Israelis do not have the tanking or electronic warfare capability to eliminate it, though they could significantly impact it, unless their on the ground capability inside Iran is multiples more capable than anyone knows.

It's simply too big for them to handle.

They need our help, agreed.  I wonder if that’s the debate right now.  We won’t let them hit the oil fields, and their price for not hitting the oil fields is help with the nuclear program.  Frankly I’d pay the price.  I don’t trust Iran, and I don’t blame Israel for wanting to eliminate the one thing that Iran has that might eliminate Israel. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

They need our help, agreed.  I wonder if that’s the debate right now.  We won’t let them hit the oil fields, and their price for not hitting the oil fields is help with the nuclear program.  Frankly I’d pay the price.  I don’t trust Iran, and I don’t blame Israel for wanting to eliminate the one thing that Iran has that might eliminate Israel. 

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Too many undefined pronouns.

If you are suggesting that the US won't allow Israel to strike Iranian oil fields, I don't think that is true.

The US has lost a good bit of influence over Israel over the past six months in my view by clearly slapping them by not having the VP, who heads the Senate, not attend Netanyahu's address, and then having our UN Ambassador not attend his UN speech.

Those are diplomatic insults directed at a head of state.

Stupid and intentional, and I think they realize they are on their own for a bit.

Regarding their "oil fields," I don't think that is the best way to effect their income.

They have a rocky and shallow shore, so they use oil platforms at sea to export their product, as large tankers are much more easily supplied by those.

Either way, something is going to happen, and probably pretty soon.

Either way, I think the Biden Admin has lost a good deal of influence over them.

45 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Too many undefined pronouns.

If you are suggesting that the US won't allow Israel to strike Iranian oil fields, I don't think that is true.

The US has lost a good bit of influence over Israel over the past six months in my view by clearly slapping them by not having the VP, who heads the Senate, not attend Netanyahu's address, and then having our UN Ambassador not attend his UN speech.

Those are diplomatic insults directed at a head of state.

Stupid and intentional, and I think they realize they are on their own for a bit.

Regarding their "oil fields," I don't think that is the best way to effect their income.

They have a rocky and shallow shore, so they use oil platforms at sea to export their product, as large tankers are much more easily supplied by those.

Either way, something is going to happen, and probably pretty soon.

Either way, I think the Biden Admin has lost a good deal of influence over them.

I disagree on the pronoun point.  Pedantic and ignorant of the context of the post.  

We, the United States, are on the phone to Israel telling them, the Israelis, that if you touch oil drilling or mining apparatuses, then you risk a discontinuance of our support in your endeavors in Gaza, Lebanon, and elsewhere.  Striking that production is a bad play for the American consumer, and a bad play politically this month and next.  While our influence over the Israelis may have waned, they need us much, much more than we, the United States, need them.  

The Israelis aren’t stupid, and they know all of that.  So if I’m the Israelis, the game is to pretend to wish to hurt Iran in that way to seek approval for what the Israelis rally want—the crippling of the Iranian nuclear program.  But for such a strike Israel probably needs refueling assistance, ordinance, and maybe intel from us.  That help I would give for this limited purpose. 

Edited by SectionC3

27 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I disagree on the pronoun point.  Pedantic and ignorant of the context of the post.  

Didn't want to anger you, I was just unsure of what you were saying, and on this site, best to be certain.

Anyway, what Israel wants is an end to offensive actions orchestrated in Iran and carried out by it's militias.

They also want to not have to deal with a nuclear ballistic missile launched from a country determined to destroy them.

However they achieve those goals is not something the US controls, and the last few weeks have seen an absolute diminishing of this alliance. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Didn't want to anger you, I was just unsure of what you were saying, and on this site, best to be certain.

Anyway, what Israel wants is an end to offensive actions orchestrated in Iran and carried out by it's militias.

They also want to not have to deal with a nuclear ballistic missile launched from a country determined to destroy them.

However they achieve those goals is not something the US controls, and the last few weeks have seen an absolute diminishing of this alliance. 

Controls, no.  Influences, yes.  How is Israel going to get to Iran to counterpunch?  With American technology.  Just as was used to decapitate Hezbollah.  Israel is playing a dangerous game to defy the United States on issues such as striking Iran directly.  And I have no doubt that Biden does not want to let Bibi help trump by attacking Iranian oil production systems.  So what does Bibi do?  Use that as leverage to go after the nukes.  

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Controls, no.  Influences, yes.  How is Israel going to get to Iran to counterpunch?  With American technology.  Just as was used to decapitate Hezbollah.  Israel is playing a dangerous game to defy the United States on issues such as striking Iran directly.  And I have no doubt that Biden does not want to let Bibi help trump by attacking Iranian oil production systems.  So what does Bibi do?  Use that as leverage to go after the nukes.  

I think this view misjudges the position of this alliance.

Israel is not the step child of the US, and their sovereignty and self preservation is their own business.

They are involved in a battle for survival, and pleasing the US, while it would be nice, is not their top priority.

Given recent dismissive diplomatic insults by the US, they seemed to have determined to do what they need to do without "permission" from this administration.

Regarding tactical questions, like "how are they going to get to Iran to counterpunch," they seem to have done a pretty good job the last month without direct penetration.

The tactical question is too big for this thread, and there is nobody here who can discuss it with accuracy.

I know I can't, and know quite a bit about strikes, weapons, ranges and other factors involved.

Best.

44 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I think this view misjudges the position of this alliance.

Israel is not the step child of the US, and their sovereignty and self preservation is their own business.

They are involved in a battle for survival, and pleasing the US, while it would be nice, is not their top priority.

Given recent dismissive diplomatic insults by the US, they seemed to have determined to do what they need to do without "permission" from this administration.

Regarding tactical questions, like "how are they going to get to Iran to counterpunch," they seem to have done a pretty good job the last month without direct penetration.

The tactical question is too big for this thread, and there is nobody here who can discuss it with accuracy.

I know I can't, and know quite a bit about strikes, weapons, ranges and other factors involved.

Best.

They are reliant on US tech.  All day long.  They can’t bite the hand that feeds. 

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

They are reliant on US tech.  All day long.  They can’t bite the hand that feeds. 

I expect much less than you think.

Other things US, but not tech stuff, and they are proving it every week, to the shock of Hezbollah, Hamas and Iranian leaders, now dead.

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

Looks like the head of Hamas, that Sinwar guy, was killed by the Israelis.

Bills win Monday night.

Sinwar dead.

Shaping up as a pretty good week.

And the Bills added Amari Cooper while the rest of the team is getting healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/9/2024 at 4:34 PM, SectionC3 said:

Something else to consider is that in response to an attack, even limited to Iranian nuclear sites with many underground and hard to damage, they could respond by acting to shut down tanker traffic through the Straits of  Hormuz. Sure we would respond with force to keep it open. But about 30% of oil goes through that chockepoint and carriers along with insurers will be cautious about exposing their ships to damage.

That would raise world prices without damaging Iran's facilities and impact supply.

• Like (+1) 3