2024 Concerts

T&C

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Final lineup for the State Fair this year...

image.thumb.png.43e35b542a2a4d4fb2350479cd1cf758.png

Not a lot I would go see.  

Only 1 I'd recommend... as long as you have these two you'll have a good show.

"As of August 2024, Blue Öyster Cult (BOC) has two original members left in the band: Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser and Eric Bloom:
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser: The guitarist and vocalist has been a constant member since the band's formation in 1967.
Eric Bloom: The vocalist and guitarist has been a member since 1969."

On 8/10/2024 at 1:31 PM, Just Jack said:

Final lineup for the State Fair this year...

image.thumb.png.43e35b542a2a4d4fb2350479cd1cf758.png

Not a lot I would go see.  

Sweet Baby Jesus, that is horrible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Sweet Baby Jesus, that is horrible. 

BOC will be great but I'm surprised that Chubby Checker can still stand... 

1 minute ago, T&C said:

He is one of three who I thought was dead. 

Chubby lives about 2 miles from me in Paoli PA, i see him taking his trash out every once in a while.  I have become friends with one of his daughters, she doesn't talk about him much

11 hours ago, T&C said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Chubby lives about 2 miles from me in Paoli PA, i see him taking his trash out every once in a while.  I have become friends with one of his daughters, she doesn't talk about him much

Perhaps if you …. Twist …. her arm, she’ll talk more. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Saw Allison Krauss and Robert Plant tonight- damn good show.  

I've seen Allison Krauss several times going back to the 90's... I think, haha, but never Robert Plant.  As usual for these old fogey shows, me 'n the gal were on the less arthritic portion of the spectrum.  It's too bad the younger folks ain't catching some of this before it's gone. 

Granted I got these tickets for my chick, after she gave me crap for not getting these tickets last year... but I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. 

I haven't listened to their collaboration studio albums so any of that was new to me, but I know some of Kraus's's earlier stuff, and I'd heard Plant's giant hit single, I'm in the Mood', so I felt reasonably prepared.  One guy near us mentioned that Plant was in  a popular rock group too, so I'll be sure to check into that.  

It was kinda typical of what you'd expect from this kind of show, where they'd woo you in to start, then start mixing in some of the 'hey, it's a good time to hit the head and grab a beer' music, then thunder their way to a much-deserved encore cheer.  

And they deserved it.  Not 100% mutha-f'n top of the world baddass, but damn good.  Plant doesn't have 'The Immigrant Song' in him anymore, but they worked together to make a magnificent 'The Battle of Evermore' and very dang good 'Gallow's Pole'.

- Loved that they opened with 'Fortune Teller' too!

Odd aside- as it turns out, I'm pretty certain me and Robert Plant have swapped air molecules.  I had no idea what 'old man' Robert Plant looks like, just what I'd imagine 'age-progressed' Robert Plant would look like.  

About an hour before the show, this yellowy white and grey, long curly haired guy was hanging in the commoners smoking area.  He was busy talking to a couple road-aged old ladies, so I didn't interrupt, but I'll be damned if I didn't think it was either a Plant look-alike still playing his hand, or Robert Plant himself.  

an hour later that dude was on stage.  )

• Like (+1) 3

Saw Violent Femmes on Saturday, if you're a fan, you'll enjoy the show.  

I knew they were playing both Hallowed Ground and their debut album in their entirety.  When they initially announced the tour I had read that they would play HG first, then intermission, then VF.  Looking at the setlists from the previous 3-4 concerts before mine, it looked like they had changed it up, and instead were doing a standard concert, just mixing up the order of songs from both albums, then an encore. Well, for our concert, they went back to what was announced, even announcing before the concert started that it would be what I had read. 

Won't be missing these guys in a couple of weeks.

Best AC/DC rip-off band in the Northern Hemisphere.  😈

Perfect Saturday night entertainment leading up to the home opener Sunday.

bbshow.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Won't be missing these guys in a couple of weeks.

Best AC/DC rip-off band in the Northern Hemisphere.  😈

Perfect Saturday night entertainment leading up to the home opener Sunday.

bbshow.jpg

I'll be there too! 😁 

• Haha (+1) 1

I missed out on some great live music I was young and underfunded (completely broke). Now that I am much older with slightly more funds, have been enjoying it when the schedule works out.

For 2024, Kurt Vile (@ Danforth Music Hall) at the end of June, and RHCP (Budweiser Stage) mid July.

To end the summer, Kidz Bop (Budweiser Stage, don't laugh, it's for my children, really).

Weezer (Scotiabank Arena), the Killers and The National in September (Budweiser Stage).

• Like (+1) 2

Caught Herbie Hancock at the Hollywood Bowl last Wednesday the 14th. Played his 1973 jazz-fusion classic Headhunters with the all but one of the original members. Great hot summer So Cal starry night with the sweet smell of ganja permeating the air, perfect atmosphere to lose oneself in the Rhodes-drenched ear candy of Herbie Hancock. Concert review

Edited by JLO
  • Like (+1) 1

State Fair Day 1 

90's Rewind with Digital Underground, Color Me Badd and Tone Loc.  Digital Underground, sorry, the people in the audience just could not get going with them as much as they tried.  Biggest reaction was for Humpty Dance of course.  Next up was Color Me Badd, they played their two major hits in the first half of their set, the rest was covers, it did help the audience get up and going for them.  Last was Tone Loc.  I think his voice is not as good as it used to be, but he is 58 years old now.  Still got the crowd going.  One downside, between acts there was nothing to keep the crowd up, no DJ, no background music.  Overall, it was ok for being a "free" concert at the Fair.  Total time, just about 1 hour 15 minutes 

Evening show, AJ Mclean and Joey Fatone.  Very entertaining, even for someone like me that was not into either boy band.  The entire crowd stayed on their feet for the entire show.  If your girl (or guy) says she wants to see them, go.  Total time, about 1 hour 40 minutes 

Just returned from Chicago where we saw the Winwood/Doobie Brothers concert. Winwood’s daughter is a backup vocalist in his band and also joined the Doobies to sing ‘It Keeps You Runnin’”. Winwood was outstanding and had a tight band. He played lead guitar on “Dear Mr Fantasy” and shredded it. He also played mandolin, piano, and organ. He joined the Doobies for their encore. 
Winwood will play a few more shows with The Doobie Brothers before his gig with them ends if you want to see him.

• Like (+1) 1

Dweezil Zappa and band tonight. Much respect that he's still out there promoting all of Frank's music, not just the most well known. He also invoked his dads legacy with oddbal stuff on stage with the band. But even if you didn't know the songs or didn't care for the oddball stuff it'd still be hard not to appreciate Dweezil's solos - highlight(s) of the show for me all night long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1