Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's just not going to happen unfortunately. Like a lot of bad teams the Raiders are unwilling to face the reality of what they need to do to become competitive again.

At the same time it also makes sense to hang on to a guy like that if you're going to draft high for a rookie QB next year.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Well I agree that you almost never see top 10 WRs on the same team. I don’t think it’s because you can’t make both of them happy. It’s because 2 top 10 paid WRs would take up too much cap space on the same roster. Which wouldn’t be an issue with Adams here. At $6m this season and another $16m next season it’s very feasible. After that I’m not sure. 

For reference Mahomes/Kelce had one of the highest cap% to ever win a SB at ~20% of total cap. 

Next year Allen and Diggs are at ~30% on their own. Adding Adams would move them to about ~36% of the total cap. Sure, I guess it could be done? But it has never ever been done before. You could restructure Allen to get that number back down to ~30%, but that is still historically high.

I don't think you can field a good football team if you have over 1/3 of total cap dollars spent on three guys. You still need people to run, block, cover, tackle, and get after the QB. The sum of all of those guys matter....a lot. 

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

For reference Mahomes/Kelce had one of the highest cap% to ever win a SB at ~20% of total cap. 

Next year Allen and Diggs are at ~30% on their own. Adding Adams would move them to about ~36% of the total cap. Sure, I guess it could be done? But it has never ever been done before. You could restructure Allen to get that number back down to ~30%, but that is still historically high.

I don't think you can field a good football team if you have over 1/3 of total cap dollars spent on three guys. You still need people to run, block, cover, tackle, and get after the QB. The sum of all of those guys matter....a lot. 

Exactly. That’s what I’m saying tho bits not about making them all happy. It’s can you afford them all

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Exactly. That’s what I’m saying tho bits not about making them all happy. It’s can you afford them all

Sorry, I thought you were saying we could next year. 

I don't think that we can. Or at least I don't think we can and still put out a competent football team. 

Just now, Mango said:

Sorry, I thought you were saying we could next year. 

I don't think that we can. Or at least I don't think we can and still put out a competent football team. 

I think for the next 2 years it’s doable. After that it’s not. But that would buy us 2 years with him and Diggs to figure it out 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think for the next 2 years it’s doable. After that it’s not. But that would buy us 2 years with him and Diggs to figure it out 

That is the exact point I was originally arguing against. I don't think you can field a complete football team with that kind of cap hit for 3 players. 

The Bills are estimated to be about $33M over the cap next year with a host of players who play pivotal roles for us. Specifically on the defensive side of the ball. Not only is devoting ~36% of the 2024 cap funds to a QB and 2 WR a historical precedent, it would be wildly irresponsible to the rest of the team. I don't think you can sign Adams and replace any FA in a meaningful way in 2024. 

Food for thought, there are some real impact players for us coming due. Not to mention we only have 1 RB and 2 DE on the 2024 roster. Signing Adams would have us filling in the below needs plus being $50M over the cap.

Hyde

D. Jones

Floyd

AJE

Jackson

Rapp

Davis (Adams fills this)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

39 minutes ago, Mango said:

That is the exact point I was originally arguing against. I don't think you can field a complete football team with that kind of cap hit for 3 players. 

The Bills are estimated to be about $33M over the cap next year with a host of players who play pivotal roles for us. Specifically on the defensive side of the ball. Not only is devoting ~36% of the 2024 cap funds to a QB and 2 WR a historical precedent, it would be wildly irresponsible to the rest of the team. I don't think you can sign Adams and replace any FA in a meaningful way in 2024. 

Food for thought, there are some real impact players for us coming due. Not to mention we only have 1 RB and 2 DE on the 2024 roster. Signing Adams would have us filling in the below needs plus being $50M over the cap.

Hyde

D. Jones

Floyd

AJE

Jackson

Rapp

Davis (Adams fills this)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Hyde can go

Jones can either sign a friendly deal because of his age or be replaced with a rookie or street FA

Floyd isn’t needed if we expect Von to be back

AJ can go unless he signs a team friendly deal

Jackson is no loss imo. He’s no different than Wallace. Tre will either be back and healthy or we can rework his deal or cut him for savings

Rapp won’t be too much and can replace Hyde/Poyer (who I expect to be gone also)

Davis is no loss if we have Adams. 

they can find ways to make it work is what I’m saying. 

again. My argument wasn’t about making it work money wise. I was simply saying that’s the reason why you never see multiple top 10 WRs on the same team. Because simply CANT make it money wise. It has nothing to do with making players happy and feeding them the ball. As it is, 6m this year and 16m next year is completely doable imo for him. You simply find a way to make it work and go on from there. After 2 years when it doesn’t work you see where you are and re-adjust 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Hyde can go

Jones can either sign a friendly deal because of his age or be replaced with a rookie or street FA

Floyd isn’t needed if we expect Von to be back

AJ can go unless he signs a team friendly deal

Jackson is no loss imo. He’s no different than Wallace. Tre will either be back and healthy or we can rework his deal or cut him for savings

Rapp won’t be too much and can replace Hyde/Poyer (who I expect to be gone also)

Davis is no loss if we have Adams. 

they can find ways to make it work is what I’m saying. 

again. My argument wasn’t about making it work money wise. I was simply saying that’s the reason why you never see multiple top 10 WRs on the same team. Because simply CANT make it money wise. It has nothing to do with making players happy and feeding them the ball. As it is, 6m this year and 16m next year is completely doable imo for him. You simply find a way to make it work and go on from there. After 2 years when it doesn’t work you see where you are and re-adjust 

Right, if we walk away from 4 or 5 starters on defense, plus some heavy rotational players, then cut some other players, and give all that money to Devonte Adams, yes we can be under the salary cap. But no we cannot field a competent NFL defense.

Just about every NFL team could walk away from a bunch of starters and fit two high priced WR's. That has never been a problem. The problem is that it isn't a great idea. 

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right, if we walk away from 4 or 5 starters on defense, plus some heavy rotational players, then cut some other players, and give all that money to Devonte Adams, yes we can be under the salary cap. But no we cannot field a competent NFL defense.

Just about every NFL team could walk away from a bunch of starters and fit two high priced WR's. That has never been a problem. The problem is that it isn't a great idea. 

imo Adams would be strictly to win a Super Bowl this year right

next season you get rid of Hyde, Poyer, Diggs, White, etc

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

imo Adams would be strictly to win a Super Bowl this year right

next season you get rid of Hyde, Poyer, Diggs, White, etc

I agree. It’s certainly the last and only of the “all in moves” at this point.

37 minutes ago, Mango said:

The problem is that the Bills are likely not nor should they, sign Hyde. They shouldn’t keep Poyer as he has looked old and slow. Jones is old and eventually will hit Father Time, especially after a season ending injury. White is getting older and now is the perfect time to walk away from him and save millions. Davis has proven he’s nothing special. A decent #2 but that’s about it. Floyd is in a one year deal anyway. It would be criminal to pay AJ a big money 2nd contract at this point. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I really don’t care about the defense. They will be just fine. You apparently don’t need top 10 defenses every single year or we would have won a trophy by now. For once, spend some resources in the offense and make teams try and stop you. Or maybe, just maybe, we make McDermott earn his money as a defensive guru and utilize what he has. Cause he sure as hell doesn’t do anything for the offense. Besides, they are likely going to use 4-5 d stats picks on defense this coming year anyway. 

and lastly, I don’t care about next year. It’s not next year right now. Right now this offense and team needs a boost. Something to get them over the top. Make the moves now and figure it out later. It can be done. Stop wasting Allen’s prime years and go after it for once. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

The problem is that the Bills are likely not nor should they, sign Hyde. They shouldn’t keep Poyer as he has looked old and slow. Jones is old and eventually will hit Father Time, especially after a season ending injury. White is getting older and now is the perfect time to walk away from him and save millions. Davis has proven he’s nothing special. A decent #2 but that’s about it. Floyd is in a one year deal anyway. It would be criminal to pay AJ a big money 2nd contract at this point. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I really don’t care about the defense. They will be just fine. You apparently don’t need top 10 defenses every single year or we would have won a trophy by now. For once, spend some resources in the offense and make teams try and stop you. Or maybe, just maybe, we make McDermott earn his money as a defensive guru and utilize what he has. Cause he sure as hell doesn’t do anything for the offense. Besides, they are likely going to use 4-5 d stats picks on defense this coming year anyway. 

and lastly, I don’t care about next year. It’s not next year right now. Right now this offense and team needs a boost. Something to get them over the top. Make the moves now and figure it out later. It can be done. Stop wasting Allen’s prime years and go after it for once. 

All of that is fine. But there is a piece missing. 

Bills are $33M over the cap as it stands right now. Adding Adams puts the Bills $50M over the cap. 

Now you have to spend at least some money to replace 5 starters and 20 other roster spots whose contracts expire. To do this the Bills would have to clear at least $65M or $70M in cap space, getting rid of even more starters than just the UFA I listed. None of which save them money for 2024, because they aren't on the books. 

If you want to have a conversation about whether or not it is worth it for 1 year, this year, sure. I think there is some validity. But if the Bills do it, they will struggle for a couple years.  New Orleans and the Rams are two fairly recent examples of teams going all in, and then needing a full tear down/reset starting in 2024. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.