Browns sign Shelton

i just don't agree with this non-move.....lj would have helped this team and added a legit presence at LT.......and i bet he came cheap.........truly a misake by the bills.......

350946[/snapback]

Its really impossible to make such a call without you knowing what the Bills docs said. Given that they made an extraordinarily good call regarding McGahee, if they expressed any doubt at all about how Shelton's ankle injury would impact his game I would pass on him.

The Browns docs could actually have made the same risk judgment about Shelton's ankle, but taking him to back-up Verba rather than start at LT for the Bills are completely different uses and costs if the ankle blows that I wouldn't have signed him if there was any doubt.

i just don't agree with this non-move.....lj would have helped this team and added a legit presence at LT.......and i bet he came cheap.........truly a misake by the bills.......

350946[/snapback]

Maybe so but a 1 year deal with a bad team indicates he was hardly the hot commodity many thought he was. There might be some truth to the opinions that he's not really that good at all or still has injury/health issues. He visited several teams who also needed tackle help and they passed on offering him a contract.

Let's see what Ross Verba costs instead. Actual talent over imagined.

Its really impossible to make such a call without you knowing what the Bills docs said.  Given that they made an extraordinarily good call regarding McGahee, if they expressed any doubt at all about how Shelton's ankle injury would impact his game I would pass on him.

The Browns docs could actually have made the same risk judgment about Shelton's ankle, but taking him to back-up Verba rather than start at LT for the Bills are completely different uses and costs if the ankle blows that I wouldn't have signed him if there was any doubt.

350951[/snapback]

Did you read this portion of the story:

It is conceivable, given the addition of Shelton, that Cleveland will attempt to trade Verba or possibly even release him.

or this

Verba had a strong season and some league personnel men felt that he ranked in the top dozen performers among starting left tackles in 2004.

Which means the expectation is for him not to back-up but to replace Verba. Verba is a pretty damn good tackle and to have Cleveland sign Shelton speaks a lot. Now I am in agreement with others that say Shelton might be damaged and part of the reason we didn't sign or trade for him.

However, like Shelton, Verba struggles in space against speed rushers. Seems like other then the top 5 LT's or so that seems to be a common theme.

Sounds like the Browns are doing this because they don't want to pay Verba a crapload of money and think he'll hold-out, leaving them with NO ONE at LT. So Shelton is a fallback option, not an even trade, much less an upgrade at LT. And from what I've been hearing, the Browns' offer was the most.

Maybe so but a 1 year deal with a bad team indicates he was hardly the hot commodity many thought he was. There might be some truth to the opinions that he's not really that good at all or still has injury/health issues. He visited several teams who also needed tackle help and they passed on offering him a contract.

Let's see what Ross Verba costs instead. Actual talent over imagined.

350982[/snapback]

From what I read the last few days, it appears Shelton was telling teams he'd only sign a 1-year deal so he'd be able to land a better contract in 2006.

This is probably a big reason why the Bills and the other teams that were looking at him may have passed. If you're going to sign a starting LT, you want to have some stability at the position for more than a year.

Shelton's rolling the dice that he'll have a good year with the Browns, then be a priority FA in 2006. Looks like a smart move from his perspective.

Shelton's rolling the dice that he'll have a good year with the Browns, then be a priority FA in 2006.  Looks like a smart move from his perspective.

If that's his angle, he'd be better off playing for the Texans, i.e. a team with SOME talent on offense. Like I said, the Browns offered the most money, and that seems to be what's driving his thinking.

If that's his angle, he'd be better off playing for the Texans, i.e. a team with SOME talent on offense.  Like I said, the Browns offered the most money, and that seems to be what's driving his thinking.

351065[/snapback]

Maybe the Texans didn't want to do a 1-year deal, so they let him leave town after his visit.

Ross Verba's asking to get out of Cleveland now, but he wants big bucks (five-year deal worth about $38.5 million). I don't think he's worth more than the $2.95 million per year he's getting now, but he does have two years remaining on his contract. Maybe the Bills can swing a deal with the Browns, if McNally thinks Verba could fill the LOT gap for a couple of years.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindeale...6811.xml&coll=2