Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Way over his head?   

DC's have to be experts in offensive schemes.  How can you stop an offense if you don't understand it?  And who is better equipped to scheme against a defense than a defensive expert?   I think it's safe to say that McD knows more about NFL offenses than 99.9999 of the people on the planet.  

Put me in charge of an NFL offense and I'll be in way over my head.  McD is not in over his head.

Bill Belichick, former DC, tinkered with the Pats offense all the time.  On the whole, it worked out okay for him.  

Why on earth are you responding to a post from 8 months ago, one that is unrelated to the current chatter in this thread?

Anyway, "way over his head" was probably a poor choice of wording, fair. Sure, any head coach knows a ton about football and NFL offenses generally. You missed the whole point of the argument though, which is that McDermott is not a football savant who is going to be tinkering with the XS and os of an offense, period.  He would be the first to admit that.  He's not Andy Reid or Bilicheck. He's really hard worker, great defensive mind/DB developer, and good at building culture. I'm sure he has some overall say in offensive strategy, philosophy, situational play calling etc., as any head coach, but just stop with this idea that he is going to cook up some new wrinkles in our offense that will put us over the top. He has no experience working with/developing QBs either. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

29 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Glad to get confirmation I was correct.

But sure, we don't like the guy, so bury conversation about him.

I don't care whether you like him or not.

He's an attention-seeking tool that is either a) so stupid he believes his own bull#### (in which case he doesn't deserve threads about him) or b) is intentionally spewing bull#### just to get a rise out of weak-minded toddlers (in which case he doesn't deserve threads about him).

If you want to gobble down his schtick, have at it, but do it on your own time. If you want to be a mark and shill for him, go for it, but do it elsewhere.

As long as my fingers control the merge button, those kind of carnival barkers will never get traction here and that's just how it is.

This community has created the best NFL message board on the planet and deserves better than to see *****nuts like that plastered on the front page.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Why on earth are you responding to a post from 8 months ago, one that is unrelated to the current chatter in this thread?

Anyway, "way over his head" was probably a poor choice of wording, fair. Sure, any head coach knows a ton about football and NFL offenses generally. You missed the whole point of the argument though, which is that McDermott is not a football savant who is going to be tinkering with the XS and os of an offense, period.  He would be the first to admit that.  He's not Andy Reid or Bilicheck. He's really hard worker, great defensive mind/DB developer, and good at building culture. I'm sure he has some overall say in offensive strategy, philosophy, situational play calling etc., as any head coach, but just stop with this idea that he is going to cook up some new wrinkles in our offense that will put us over the top. He has no experience working with/developing QBs either. 

Apologies for taking the remarks out of context.

I never suggested that McD was going to develop new wrinkles that put our offense over the top.  Not even close.  I just said he's not over his head when it comes to NFL offenses.  

Besides that, I agree with you.  I  try to pay attention to what players say - and don't say.  A lot of players praise McD as a head coach and leader - his preparation, hard work, etc.  What I don't hear much about is X and O acumen.  

In comparison, I've heard lots of comments from players and coaches alike about Greg Roman being a genius at scheming up a run game or Kyle Shanahan being a genius at scheming up a passing game or Belichick being a genius at more or less everything (according to some).   Players and coaches are mostly silent on McD's tactical genius.  So I'm guessing he's solid at X's and O's but not among the very best.  

I think his strengths are preparation for game day, building teamwork, and getting guys to execute.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Same thought. Mahomes 1 - check. Allen -2 cool, happy with the respect! Burrow - 3 sure, if healthy. Stroud - 4 sure looked it in his one season so maybe a bit early, but okay. Caleb Williams - 5 Monther ****er, this guy’s an idiot!

Part of Nick Wright's MO is that he'll say things like this-- predictive, plausible, but definitely a hot take-- and then if it comes to fruition, he'll crow about how brilliant he is. Of course, when such statements don't pan out, he'll ignore that he ever said it. His schtick is rife with such nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Simon said:

I don't care whether you like him or not.

He's an attention-seeking tool that is either a) so stupid he believes his own bull#### (in which case he doesn't deserve threads about him) or b) is intentionally spewing bull#### just to get a rise out of weak-minded toddlers (in which case he doesn't deserve threads about him).

If you want to gobble down his schtick, have at it, but do it on your own time. If you want to be a mark and shill for him, go for it, but do it elsewhere.

As long as my fingers control the merge button, those kind of carnival barkers will never get traction here and that's just how it is.

This community has created the best NFL message board on the planet and deserves better than to see *****nuts like that plastered on the front page.

You are the best.

On 5/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, SirAndrew said:

I couldn’t agree more, but it makes me wonder if it’s really just his PR team that makes him look so good. You know what they say about the company you keep.

There’s a difference between the company you keep and the family you’re born into. Can’t very well get rid of family. Well some might but generally speaking you’re kinda stuck with them. 

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

You are the best.

I'm a really weird combination of avuncular and assho1e, which for reasons beyond my ken makes me uniquely well-suited for this role. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Man how fortunate we all are/have been to see Josh fulfill his potential. Nothing the guy cannot do and, crazy as it sounds, I still feel like he’s an ascending player. Continues to amaze me. 

Josh is the only player on Mahomes level in the NFL.  It's been a pleasure watching him play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Sexy Rexy ain't wrong. Josh is the most entertaining and spectacular football player in the NFL.  Patrick may have rings and Lamar a couple mvps, but JA17 is QB1.  Some people are still so butthurt over being morons and wrong about Allen straight out of Wyoming.  That narrative will never end. That's why every year some yahoo says Allen sucks.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

True!

15 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

For once... not gonna disagree with ol' Rexy

So Josh is going to play ironman football and play LB.  When he hits All-Pro his salary will jump again.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Chiefs fans were losing their minds about this clip today.

Until someone shows them the clip of Josh Allen breaking La'Jarius Sneed's ankle on a QB Power and then leaping over Justin Reid on the sideline...also infamously known as "the keep...and THE LEAP!" by PBP man Jim Nantz.

Then they get real quiet.

Someone needs to go out on the Arrowhead turf...I think Sneed's ankle might still be lying out there underneath it.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

It's true. Josh will be considered an all time great in the future. His talent is virtually unmatched and unlimited.

And I pray that he has a few rings to show for it.  Go Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1