Joe Burrow's new deal could get done before kickoff

Gregg

Ian Rapoport on X: "From The Insiders on NFL+: With his injury situation handled, all eyes are now on #Bengals QB Joe Burrow's contract... and there is some optimism it gets done before kickoff. https://t.co/cJ20qf8BAi" / X (twitter.com)

He is going to get paid bigtime obviously. It will be interesting to see if the Bengals can keep their big 3 at WR going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Ian Rapoport on X: "From The Insiders on NFL+: With his injury situation handled, all eyes are now on #Bengals QB Joe Burrow's contract... and there is some optimism it gets done before kickoff. https://t.co/cJ20qf8BAi" / X (twitter.com)

He is going to get paid bigtime obviously. It will be interesting to see if the Bengals can keep their big 3 at WR going forward.

Notice that Higgins hasn't been resigned yet even though his contract expires at the end of this season. When he was asked about Higgins, Mike Brown gave a treatise on the salary cap and conceded that you can't pay everyone. Here it is:

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

On ESPN radio this morning they were criticizing the Bengals for not getting the deal done yet.  Funny, I never heard any criticism of the Ravens, especially 2 years ago, when they were in the process of letting Lamar Jackson play through his 5th year option.  

you never heard ANY? Really?

• Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

On ESPN radio this morning they were criticizing the Bengals for not getting the deal done yet.  Funny, I never heard any criticism of the Ravens, especially 2 years ago, when they were in the process of letting Lamar Jackson play through his 5th year option.  

Maybe the Ravens front office have earned some currency through the years, the Bengals front office on the other hand have earned the opposite through the years.

57 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They won't need all 3.  It's a luxury to have such.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Higgins & Boyd are UFAs after this season, and Chase is up the following year. Higgins is a goner for sure, some team will offer him top-10 WR money & no way he'll pass that up, or could Cincy match. They could maybe re-sign Boyd if he comes cheap. I could also see them letting both walk and signing a mid-tier vet & drafting another WR.

There is no way they don't make Chase the highest paid WR in the league, and losing other key players is cost of doing that.

19 minutes ago, 947 said:

Higgins & Boyd are UFAs after this season, and Chase is up the following year. Higgins is a goner for sure, some team will offer him top-10 WR money & no way he'll pass that up, or could Cincy match. They could maybe re-sign Boyd if he comes cheap. I could also see them letting both walk and signing a mid-tier vet & drafting another WR.

There is no way they don't make Chase the highest paid WR in the league, and losing other key players is cost of doing that.

I agree, Chase and Burrow stick together for 4-6 more years. I can see Higgins leave and Boyd possibly cut to keep Hendrickson around another 4-6 years too.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The Jaguars have yet to give Trevor Lawrence a new contract.

Will he make more than Burrow?

Most likely since he'll sign after.

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree, Chase and Burrow stick together for 4-6 more years. I can see Higgins leave and Boyd possibly cut to keep Hendrickson around another 4-6 years too.

Most likely since he'll sign after.

I don’t know if that’ll be a given -

I think tlaw may have some work to do to fully jump the field. He should handily bounce the deals a few years old but don’t know that he will beat burrow weeks to months later 

50 minutes ago, 947 said:

This is the logical scenario, but we are talking about Mike Brown here, a notoriously tight fisted owner.  I could see him balking at paying Chase upwards of $35m per year which is probably what the market will be.  He might just decide to pay Higgins and play hardball with Chase.   If I were their Coach, I would be thinking this year is probably my best shot to win it all before the wheels come off.  

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Burrows is considerably better than Jackson.  Jackson's style is far less sustainable. Risk profile between the two is just very different. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.