Youngkin for president

He's actually done a decent job for Va.  And I think he's a moderate.  While he hasn't declared yet this interesting piece suggest he may well.  Thoughts?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/25/from-old-to-youngkin-mixed-motives-drive-the-gop-alternatives-to-trump-00112925

With his attempt to make suburbia safe for Republicans again this fall and nudge his own party to embrace early voting — which he has deemed “securing the vote” in a bow to the post-Trump GOP — the Virginia governor is hoping to show the way to the GOP on two problems that plagued them under the former president.

If he can do that, he’d have an anti-Trump message, one with the benefit of being both potent and implicit, and would emerge from this year’s off-year elections as one of the biggest winners. He would also have something to offer beyond having won a single campaign for Virginia’s one-and-done governorship.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’ve heard he has his eyes potentially set on a Virginia Senate seat next.

At which point, he will become public enemy number one in the eyes of Democrats nationally. 

Yes, I heard that too.  But it's not looking that way now.  I think he has a shot at the R nomination and would be a good option in the general election.

10 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

He's actually done a decent job for Va.  And I think he's a moderate.  While he hasn't declared yet this interesting piece suggest he may well.  Thoughts?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/25/from-old-to-youngkin-mixed-motives-drive-the-gop-alternatives-to-trump-00112925

With his attempt to make suburbia safe for Republicans again this fall and nudge his own party to embrace early voting — which he has deemed “securing the vote” in a bow to the post-Trump GOP — the Virginia governor is hoping to show the way to the GOP on two problems that plagued them under the former president.

If he can do that, he’d have an anti-Trump message, one with the benefit of being both potent and implicit, and would emerge from this year’s off-year elections as one of the biggest winners. He would also have something to offer beyond having won a single campaign for Virginia’s one-and-done governorship.

he’s governed very similarly to desantis. When he was campaigning the oppositions political strategy was to show a blurry pic of him wearing a red nationals ball cap and calling him maga. 

• Like (+1) 2

I like him a lot, but think he needs a bit more on his resume, so maybe in a subsequent election.

I think governor is the best qualification for president, but he has nothing regarding foreign policy.

Nikki Haley has both.

Whatever he does after his gov term will tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

I like him a lot, but think he needs a bit more on his resume, so maybe in a subsequent election.

I think governor is the best qualification for president, but he has nothing regarding foreign policy.

Nikki Haley has both.

What exactly about the last 20 years of American foreign policy makes you think that “foreign policy experience” is a net plus for a candidate?

• Like (+1) 3

I still remember when Lincoln Project sent out a bunch of Dems cosplaying as tiki torch wielding neo-nazis at a Youngkin campaign rally…

If he becomes a threat to take a reliable blue senate seat, the left/media is going to unleash holy hell on this man. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, LeviF said:

What exactly about the last 20 years of American foreign policy makes you think that “foreign policy experience” is a net plus for a candidate?

Your question is rhetorical, but I think such experience is invaluable.

It takes a long time to understand the nuance of that issue, and dealing with the immediate issues re China, a lunatic in North Korea and what I think is incredibly important to be prepared for is an Israeli strike to prevent Iran from posing a nuclear threat.

That issue is on the relatively near horizon. 

What gives me confidence is that I think the Republicans have a much deeper bench, and Younkin or any other candidate ex Trump would be able to access that.

It is my opinion that Trump so toxic that any administration run by him would be unable to attract the best possible people.

I think it is extremely important to be able to gather the best possible cabinet and staff.

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

Nikki Haley has both.

Agreed.

In a more normal political world, Haley would be the leading candidate. Decent record as governor, some international affairs experience, and - unusual for any politician, and particularly a woman - an accounting degree. And the first woman president and first president of Asian ancestry (take that Kamala).

But that is not our world.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...