OT-George Mikan dead at 80

The first great big man in the league.  I remember having to do the "Mikan rebounding drill" when I played basketball in high school.

RIP

349785[/snapback]

Yes - standing under the basket doing layups switching sides/hands, right?

George Mikan (goaltending).

Wilt Chamberlain (width of free throw lane).

Maurice Richard (scoring more than one goal on a single power play).

Wayne Gretzky (4 on 4).

Bob Gibson (height of pitcher's mound).

Anytime they have to change the rules because you're too damn good, you know that you're a bad@$$.

RIP, George.

Yes - standing under the basket doing layups switching sides/hands, right?

349795[/snapback]

Yes. That was one of the drills I actually didn't mind doing. My favorite drill was the "Cincinnati fast break drill", which was usually at the end of practice.

*raises glass to honor one of the all-time greats*

ESPN tribute

ESPN did a feature on him about a month ago. I was surprised - and saddened - not just by his physical debilitation, but by this:

He practiced law and, in his later years, began pressing the NBA and the players' union to boost the tiny pensions given to those who played in the league before 1965. Terry Mikan said most of his father's awards and memorabilia has been sold. Mikan received a monthly pension check of $1,700, his son said. Under current rules, his widow will get half that much.

Terry Mikan said one of his father's reasons for fighting so hard against his illnesses "was his hope that he would be alive when the collective bargaining agreement was reached and the decision had been finalized on the pre-65ers and their surviving families. He gave his heart and soul to that effort."