This eight year old kid is absolutely

Yeah but Rolling Stone will have Joan Jett ranked higher than him.

348934[/snapback]

i agree that rolling stone sucks, and i agree that that kid is impressive as hell, given his age, but musically, that's a snoozefest in my opinion. A million notes a minute and no two good ones in a row, as Keith Richards once said. There are a zillion guys who can play like that, and none of them are good songwriters imo. van halen woke up the world with that kinda play within pretty good rock n' roll songs, but it didn't exactly have the legs to stand the test of time. I'll take a four note solo if it's moving and really suits the song over a solo like that.

but still, for his age, that's nuts.

And there are kids like this... :lol:

CBS News 11/28/04:

"There is a composer studying at New York’s renowned Juilliard School who some say is the greatest talent to come along in 200 years. He’s written five full-length symphonies, and he’s only 12 years old.

His name is Jay Greenberg, although he likes the nickname "Bluejay" because, he says, blue jays are small and make a lot of noise.

Greenberg says music just fills his head and he has to write it down to get it out. What’s going on in Bluejay’s head? Correspondent Scott Pelley spoke with him.Jay wrote a piece, "The Storm," in just a few hours. It was commissioned by the New Haven Symphony in Connecticut.

When the last note sailed into the night, Jay navigated an unfamiliar stage, and then took a bow.

'We are talking about a prodigy of the level of the greatest prodigies in history when it comes to composition," says Sam Zyman, a composer. "I am talking about the likes of Mozart, and Mendelssohn, and Saint-Sans.' ".

A bit humbling, eh? :D

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/24/...ain657713.shtml

Dewey: "I pledge allegiance..."

The Class: "I pledge allegiance..."

Dewey: "...to the band..."

The Class: "...to the band..."

Dewey: "...of Mr. Schneebly."

The Class: "...of Mr. Schneebly."

Dewey: "And will not fight him..."

The Class: "And will not fight him..."

Dewey: "...for creative control."

The Class: "...for creative control."

Dewey: ""And will defer to him on all issues related to the musical direction of the band.

van halen woke up the world with that kinda play within pretty good rock n' roll songs, but it didn't exactly have the legs to stand the test of time.

Sure it did! More than a few guitarists to come along after EVH were heavily influenced by him, which is why I can't believe he was ranked in the 70's in that BS top-100 thing.

Sure it did!  More than a few guitarists to come along after EVH were heavily influenced by him, which is why I can't believe he was ranked in the 70's in that BS top-100 thing.

348973[/snapback]

Eddie was great. Betcha don't know who he lists as one of biggest influences on his style of playing: Steve Hackett, who used to be in Genesis.

Listen to his stuff with them from 1971 and you can hear were Eddie got some ideas.

Dewey: "I pledge allegiance..."

The Class: "I pledge allegiance..."

Dewey: "...to the band..."

The Class: "...to the band..."

Dewey: "...of Mr. Schneebly."

The Class: "...of Mr. Schneebly."

Dewey: "And will not fight him..."

The Class: "And will not fight him..."

Dewey: "...for creative control."

The Class: "...for creative control."

Dewey: ""And will defer to him on all issues related to the musical direction of the band.

348963[/snapback]

Great movie! :D

Eddie was great. Betcha don't know who he lists as one of biggest influences on his style of playing: Steve Hackett, who used to be in Genesis.

Listen to his stuff with them from 1971 and you can hear were Eddie got some ideas.

349000[/snapback]

I wish Hackett and Howe had continued with GTR - one of my favorite (yet little known) supergroups. Awesome.

"Hackett to Bits" should be in every guitar aficionado's collection.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hackett was the first guitarist to put "tapping" on a recording ("Hackett to Bits"), but EVH made it popular/famous. He claimed to have invented it on his own, but if he said that Hackett is an influence, he obviously got it from there. But stealing from others is the hallmark of successful people (Martha Stewart, Bill Gates, fashion designers, etc.).

I wish Hackett and Howe had continued with GTR - one of my favorite (yet little known) supergroups.  Awesome.

"Hackett to Bits" should be in every guitar aficionado's collection.

349037[/snapback]

Great stuff. Steve Hackett's classical acousic guitar playing is friggin' amazing.

Agree 95%. That's nuts for his age, but he's gotta learn that it's not HOW MANY notes you play, it's WHAT notes you play.

All that kid really did is switch between modes/scales and went up and down, then down then up, added a few taps, did some sweeps and that's it.

Impressive for his age, but that's about it.

I think Eddie's stuff has stood the test of time, it's just that it was brought down a level by the dumbass crap that Roth & Hagar did over his brilliant guitar stuff. That's the 5% I disagree with.

i agree that rolling stone sucks, and i agree that that kid is impressive as hell, given his age, but musically, that's a snoozefest in my opinion. A million notes a minute and no two good ones in a row, as Keith Richards once said. There are a zillion guys who can play like that, and none of them are good songwriters imo. van halen woke up the world with that kinda play within pretty good rock n' roll songs, but it didn't exactly have the legs to stand the test of time. I'll take a four note solo if it's moving and really suits the song over a solo like that.

but still, for his age, that's nuts.

348942[/snapback]

Agree 95%. That's nuts for his age, but he's gotta learn that it's not HOW MANY notes you play, it's WHAT notes you play.

All that kid really did is switch between modes/scales and went up and down, then down then up, added a few taps, did some sweeps and that's it.

I think Eddie's stuff has stood the test of time, it's just that it was brought down a level by the dumbass crap that Roth & Hagar did over his brilliant guitar stuff. That's the 5% I disagree with.

349141[/snapback]

Well I agree with that 5% which was in disagreement with the same 5% of my original statement, which nullifies your disagreement and forces us into 100% accord.

i was never a big van halen nut but i NEVER change the channel when any song from their first three albums is on the radio. And it's true - eddie had a sense for solos that work in the context of a song. He added amazing speed with the sonic sensibilities of a hendrix - albeit not quite on jimmy's level in that regard.

349141[/snapback]

Guys, he's eight! At eight years old, I was sqeaking the reed on my trumpet like a billion other third-graders out there.

-Jeff