Signing before final year of contract vs

ajzepp

One thing I've always been interested in is what goes through a player's mind when they are a solid starter and they are in the final year of their contract. Take the Schobel deal for example. Does he take the 23 mil now, while he's healthy and coming off a good year, or does he wait to test the free agent market and take the risk of either 1) getting seriously injured or 2) having a bad year and taking away from your perceived value? I've always wondered what the agent would advise a player to do.....in a way, the agent is going to be affected in a similar way to the player, but at the same time the agent likely has other players to earn a percentage on.

I think that I would have done the same thing Schobel did. Maybe others feel differently, but to me 23 mil and 28 mil represent the same thing to me - lifetime financial stability. I'd want that sooner rather than later, I think.

One thing I've always been interested in is what goes through a player's mind when they are a solid starter and they are in the final year of their contract. Take the Schobel deal for example. Does he take the 23 mil now, while he's healthy and coming off a good year, or does he wait to test the free agent market and take the risk of either 1) getting seriously injured or 2) having a bad year and taking away from your perceived value?  I've always wondered what the agent would advise a player to do.....in a way, the agent is going to be affected in a similar way to the player, but at the same time the agent likely has other players to earn a percentage on.

I think that I would have done the same thing Schobel did. Maybe others feel differently, but to me 23 mil and 28 mil represent the same thing to me - lifetime financial stability. I'd want that sooner rather than later, I think.

26063[/snapback]

I agree. I would absolutely do what Schobel did. What happens if you blow a knee like Willis McGahee. Do you honestly think anyone would give you money at that point. I take my 23 million and live very happily!! Now their is a big difference between 23 and 33 million but it no where near as big as the difference between 23 million and nothing!

I agree.  I would absolutely do what Schobel did.  What happens if you blow a knee like Willis McGahee.  Do you honestly think anyone would give you money at that point.  I take my 23 million and live very happily!!  Now their is a big difference between 23 and 33 million but it no where near as big as the difference between 23 million and nothing!

26157[/snapback]

Show me the money....agents want to get the most for their clients....and they always believe that the FA market will pay more than a hometown discount. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...but either way the agent gets paid.

All these "behind the scenes" types of shows they are putting together have me so interested in the every day workings of the NFL that I can't help but be fascinated by the interaction between agent and player. I'd love to be privy to these conversations......you have to think some of these players are being taken advantage of to some degree by these guys. These are kids who are wide-eyed over going from broke college player to multi-millionaire NFL player. That's got to be one hell of a change. I just wonder to what degree the agent sees the dollar signs, and to what extent this prevents him from doing what is best for his client in other ways.

It strikes me that there is no write answer for every individual because individual cases are so different. I had a history of injuries in college, I'd settle for less taking a lesser offer than FA would give me IF I remained healthy.

If I had folks depending on me for cash like kids or a sick Mom or Dad, I'd settle for less taking an early offer.

If it was my second contract and I already had racked in a bunch or Daddy was rich and left me an inheritance I'd roll the dice, buy insurance and gor for FA.

It really depends upon the individual situation in terms of whether you are taking risks for others.