That Weird Homoerotic DeSantis Anti-LGBT Campaign Video

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/08/ron-desantis-memes-lgbtq-ad-00105238

I finally took a look at it (the campaign has taken it down, but it exists elsewhere.)

It is every bit as offensive as characterized, implicitly calling out Trump not for supporting things like drag queen story hour, but simply for supporting gay rights in general.

But that's not the whole story. The Politico article explains that.

It is full of homoerotic images like "GigaChad" (something I was blissfully unaware of), which is apparently the symbol of the alpha male so loved and hated by the incels.

We also get this, which was accurately characterized by the very much gay Pete Buttigieg as, well, exactly what it is: "I’m going to leave aside the strangeness of trying to prove your manhood by putting up a video that splices images of you in between oiled-up, shirtless bodybuilders." And a whole host of other supposedly manly men who, had I passed them on the street when I lived in San Francisco, I would have immediately thought "there must be a gay club nearby."

WTF is going on in the Republican Party now? Is this an Incel Recruitment drive? And why are these so-called cultural conservatives so obsessed with homoerotic images and personalities? This is beyond weird. Vote for Ron because he's more of a self-hating closeted gay man than his opponent? Is that what they're trying to say? 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Too little, too late? DeSantis has fired the idiots who thought a "meme factory" of bizarro so-called anti-LGBT images (which coulda fooled me since they look a lot like the very thing they claim to deny) would propel him into the lead. Courting the incel vote is apparently not a recipe for success.

Don't believe me? Watch the video! It's been reposted all over the place. 

https://www.semafor.com/article/07/31/2023/desantis-meme-factory

Senior aides to Ron DeSantis oversaw the campaign’s high-risk strategy of laundering incendiary videos produced by their staff through allied anonymous Twitter accounts, a set of internal campaign communications obtained by Semafor reveals.

The videos include two that have created recurring distractions for his campaign in recent weeks: an anti-Trump video that featured a fascist symbol, and another that attacked Donald Trump for past comments supportive of LGBT rights.

The meme-filled videos emerged from a Signal channel called “War Room Creative Ideas,” screenshots of which were shared with Semafor and whose authenticity was confirmed by a second source familiar with the campaign.

The chat in Signal, an encrypted messaging app, offers the first clear look into the “war room” that has defined the Florida governor’s candidacy, and is presided over by his high-profile and confrontational director of rapid response, Christina Pushaw. The correspondence obtained by Semafor also offers a glimpse of a strategy that mixes digital aggression and (unsuccessful) attempts to keep the campaign’s own activities secret. The messages were set to disappear after one week.

Screenshots of the “War Room” chat reviewed by Semafor included staffers praising a widely-derided and since-deleted video — originally posted on an anonymous account, “Ron DeSantis Fancams” — that included a version of the Sonnenrad, a symbol associated with Nazi Germany.

“This belongs in the Smithsonian,” wrote Kyle Lamb, the campaign’s director of research and data, before the video blew up in the campaign’s face. He was among the 38 staffers laid off in recent weeks amid a campaign “reset.” 

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

A fascinating thread. It’s on honor to be the only other person to post in it. Thank you for keeping this alive. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

Kinda like Ol' Tarheel, right?

I will continue to amuse myself by pointing out the incredible gayness of the anti-gay agenda.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Senior aides to Ron DeSantis oversaw the campaign’s high-risk strategy of laundering incendiary videos produced by their staff through allied anonymous Twitter accounts, a set of internal campaign communications obtained by Semafor reveals.

The videos include two that have created recurring distractions for his campaign in recent weeks: an anti-Trump video that featured a fascist symbol, and another that attacked Donald Trump for past comments supportive of LGBT rights.

The meme-filled videos emerged from a Signal channel called “War Room Creative Ideas,” screenshots of which were shared with Semafor and whose authenticity was confirmed by a second source familiar with the campaign.

The chat in Signal, an encrypted messaging app, offers the first clear look into the “war room” that has defined the Florida governor’s candidacy, and is presided over by his high-profile and confrontational director of rapid response, Christina Pushaw. The correspondence obtained by Semafor also offers a glimpse of a strategy that mixes digital aggression and (unsuccessful) attempts to keep the campaign’s own activities secret. The messages were set to disappear after one week.

Screenshots of the “War Room” chat reviewed by Semafor included staffers praising a widely-derided and since-deleted video — originally posted on an anonymous account, “Ron DeSantis Fancams” — that included a version of the Sonnenrad, a symbol associated with Nazi Germany.

“This belongs in the Smithsonian,” wrote Kyle Lamb, the campaign’s director of research and data, before the video blew up in the campaign’s face. He was among the 38 staffers laid off in recent weeks amid a campaign “reset.” 

that video looks like it was made by a high school AV club student with issues.  

So much cringe

• Agree 1