Dearest Cablelady

Frez

With 4 TVs, unless you're doing video modulation, analog cable is definately cheaper than DirecTV because you don't need a receiver for each TV (although the PQ isn't anywhere near as good either, but for extra TVs, it's generally "good enough.")

You're not listening to us that your friend's dish isn't setup properly if this rain fade is a frequent occurance.

If that's the worst "horror story" you can come up with...  :rolleyes:

Again, in you case analog cable is probably the way to go (multiple TVs, no locals), unless you wanted NFL Network or Sunday Ticket (to catch games other than Buffalo).

CW

348530[/snapback]

Is analog cable the same as digital cable? I do have digital cable and seen a difference from my old box.

I

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is analog cable the same as digital cable? I do have digital cable and seen a difference from my old box.

I

348532[/snapback]

You have a digital receiver (ie: cable box) on every TV in your house?

CW

I wanted to clear up the $84 buck a month I pay

1) 4 TV's in my house

2) HBO, Showtime,

3) Sports Package

4) HD package

5) Replacement insurance of any equip.Including HD upgrades

6) Local channels

If eliminated most of the above it would be around $45.00 bucks a month

Just curious, what's the difference between my DVR cable box and your tivo?They both record right?

What's your direct tv bills run ya's per month? Come on, sell me one this one, here's your chance! Like I said I pay about 70.00 a month.

348485[/snapback]

I want to chime in after having both cable and directv. I really don't see much of a comparison. The negatives I hear about DirecTV:

- Goes out in bad weather

- Bad customer service

- No local channels

- Don't pay for equipment

Responding to each:

1. Goes out in bad weather-

No, more likely the weather that is bad enough to put the dish reception out is going to put the electricity out first. I've almost never had service interuption due to weather.

2. Bad Customer Service

This one is the biggest joke to me. There's nothing I hate more than cable customer service. Cable customer service satisfaction rating is worse than the IRS. DirecTV customer service I've dealt with a few times when moving. They pay for all your equipment on your move and installation. When I lived in an apartment, I called to say my apartment complex was charging $100 to put a dish up (now illegal to charge). Directv paid this fee for me.

3. No local channels

I get all the local channels...but if you're in an area where this isn't possible, I guess that's a significant negative.

4. Don't pay for equipment

If you're a new customer, it's basically going to be free. Sure, if someting breaks you might have to pay for it...but I promise you if you call Directv and say you're not happy because the box broke...they'll pay for it. I will say the HD DVR on cable networks being given to you rather than having to pay for that on DirecTV is a major negative...

150 HD channels come January, NFL Sunday Ticket, NFL Sunday Ticket HD, true digital channels....you just can't compare that to cable. My bill is $60 a month w/ 2 tv's, tivo, HD package, sports package. no premium channels though.