Frez

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's them service calls with the dish?

348487[/snapback]

Wouldn't know, have never had to call them for the 6+ years I've had DirecTV. The great thing is that in the VERY rare event that weather does affect the dish, as soon as the weather clears (usually about 3-4 minutes later), you're good to go.

Ask Steve about his experience with DirecTV and the Florida hurricanes. (short answer: As soon as he had electricity, he had DirecTV, even though the dish was bent to hell and back, houses were missing, garages were flattened, etc).

Dammit, you dragged me in! :rolleyes:

CW

Wouldn't know, have never had to call them for the 6+ years I've had DirecTV.  The great thing is that in the VERY rare event that weather does affect the dish, as soon as the weather clears (usually about 3-4 minutes later), you're good to go.

Ask Steve about his experience with DirecTV and the Florida hurricanes. (short answer: As soon as he had electricity, he had DirecTV, even though the dish was bent to hell and back, houses were missing, garages were flattened, etc).

Dammit, you dragged me in! :rolleyes:

CW

348490[/snapback]

Fez, what if your Direct TV box goes bad? Who pays for a new one?

How's them service calls with the dish?

348487[/snapback]

In the last 5 to 7 years I have never had a problem. The only time they come out is to upgrade my equipment.

High Def is fantastic as well as NFL Sunday ticket and the NFL network. How is Sunday Ticket on cable ? Ooops sorry I forgot. High Def NFL games are a real treat.

I pay about 84 bucks a month for all the sports and movie channels I have added.

About the locals new dish just went up more locals in new areas coming soon. Direct Tv TIVO has 2 inputs you can record 2 shows at once or record one and watch something else on the other. My Bills is $95 a month. But that is with everything available including HD box 3 Tivos and 1 reg box and not to mention the NFL Network and NFL Package. Oh and service calls are very quick with great customer service.

In the last 5 to 7 years I have never had a problem. The only time they come out is to upgrade my equipment.

High Def is fantastic as well as NFL Sunday ticket and the NFL network. How is Sunday Ticket on cable ? Ooops sorry I forgot. High Def NFL games are a real treat.

I pay about 84 bucks a month for all the sports and movie channels I have added.

348492[/snapback]

I don't need to pay extra to see the Bills play every week, they are on my local channel. No service calls uh? I have hearrd horror stories about service calls to fix a dish.

You pay 84.00 a month and I pay 70.00. I guess I'm still good with my cable.

What's the difference between the TIVO and my DVD cable box?

Fez, what if your Direct TV box goes bad? Who pays for a new one?

348491[/snapback]

When was the last time you've had a solid-state peice of electronics go bad?

If it DID go bad (and I've never had one go bad yet...), I could call DirecTV and convince them to give me a new one for free (heck, they gave me an HD receiver, new dish, installation, and multiswitch for only $99 a year or so ago). However, if (for some strange reason) they didn't give it to me for free, it'd only be $49 to get a new one.

The flipside is that I own the box and can do whatever I want to it - for example, you can modify your TiVos to add extra storage. I have 150 hours of recording time on my "main" TiVo and 130 hours on my bedroom TiVo. Can't do that with cable, because you don't own it.

I understand that some people don't mind their cable -- I just usually have to chime in when people start spreading the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about weather affecting DirecTV -- it just doesn't happen. I live in the midwest where we have tornados all the time during summer and snow/wind/ice (like WNY) in the winter. Over those 6 years, I've had maybe 3-4 outages of about 5-10 minutes each. On the flip side, I had to fight with Comcast for roughly 4 hours a day for an entire month (and I'm not exaggerating) in order to get my broadband setup properly (they didn't have their databases setup to let me get out of their network, it wasn't anything I had control over; I even told their techs exactly what they needed to do, but they didn't listen :rolleyes: ). Comcast didn't give me ANYTHING for my troubles, whereas DirecTV accidentally blacked out the first period of the Wild/Ducks conference finals and they gave me a $50 credit for my inconvenience.

To each their own, but weather is NOT an issue at all.

CW

About the locals new dish just went up more locals in new areas coming soon.

Chances are they won't be covering his area. The new birds are mainly to provide all the locals in HD.

CW

I have hearrd horror stories about service calls to fix a dish.

Care to share some of those stories? I'm genuinely interesting, since every time I've had a problem (like the blackout of the first period of the game), they've been more than happy to help me out with free stuff.

CW

Like I said, my replacement cost are free. My bill is around 70.00 and I'm very happy with that. When the dish can provide me with a cheaper price and the local channels I will seriously consider a change.

They might not offer it but you can call and work a deal to get it for free or at a great discount. But the only upgrades for equipment were the newer TIVO and HD box. Put it this way if you ever gave it a tryyou would never switch back and would enjoy every min of it.

They might not offer it but you can call and work a deal to get it for free or at a great discount. But the only upgrades for equipment were the newer TIVO and HD box.

348509[/snapback]

The answer is no then.

It's free with my cable.

I'm just trying to see why some people say dish is that much better, but I just can't see it.

If you gave it a twirl you would see it and never go back to cable. If you dont get locals in your area you could do what I did until they got my locals and that is pay the cheapest rate fo reg basic cable $4 here for just the locals.

If you gave it a twirl you would see it and never go back to cable. If you dont get locals in your area you could do what I did until they got my locals and that is pay the cheapest rate fo reg basic cable $4 here for just the locals.

348515[/snapback]

See I would be paying 84.00 like you and then add the other 13.00 a moth for my locals.

Cable is cheaper for me and I get my locals for free.

See I would be paying 84.00 like you and then add the other 13.00 a moth for my locals.

Cable is cheaper for me and I get my locals for free.

348518[/snapback]

You havn't answerd my question about the horror stories.

Also, his $84/month includes HD -- which is ~$12/month. Cut that out, and you're down to $72. How many TVs do you have? If you only have one, you'd cut another $10-$15/month off of his bill (since he said he has 3 or 4 receivers, don't remember). That cuts it down to $58-$62/month.

I can see the locals being a deal killer (alhtough I think your estimate of $12/month for Lifeline cable is off). Just comparing apples to apples.

CW

You havn't answerd my question about the horror stories.

Also, his $84/month includes HD -- which is ~$12/month.  Cut that out, and you're down to $72.  How many TVs do you have?  If you only have one, you'd cut another $10-$15/month off of his bill (since he said he has 3 or 4 receivers, don't remember).  That cuts it down to $58-$62/month.

I can see the locals being a deal killer (alhtough I think your estimate of $12/month for Lifeline cable is off).  Just comparing apples to apples.

CW

348520[/snapback]

I have 4 tv's in my house. I do not yet have a HDTV but someday I will for sure. I believe for me to upgrade my box to the HD it's free with Time Warner cable or the same cost as I pay now.

I don't have to sign any contracts for my cable servive like the dish and I also don't have to worry about rain fade. Yes rain fade, I have seen it first hand at a friends house.

Horror story- My brother had problems the first week with his dish. He called for a service call and they sent someone out 2 days later. That would kill me!

I have 4 tv's in my house. I do not yet have a HDTV but someday I will for sure. I believe for me to upgrade my box to the HD it's free with Time Warner cable or the same cost as I pay now.

With 4 TVs, unless you're doing video modulation, analog cable is definately cheaper than DirecTV because you don't need a receiver for each TV (although the PQ isn't anywhere near as good either, but for extra TVs, it's generally "good enough.")

I don't have to sign any contracts for my cable servive like the dish and I also don't have to worry about rain fade. Yes rain fade, I have seen it first hand at a friends house.

You're not listening to us that your friend's dish isn't setup properly if this rain fade is a frequent occurance.

Horror story- My brother had problems the first week with his dish. He called for a service call and they sent someone out 2 days later. That would kill me!

If that's the worst "horror story" you can come up with... :rolleyes:

Again, in you case analog cable is probably the way to go (multiple TVs, no locals), unless you wanted NFL Network or Sunday Ticket (to catch games other than Buffalo).

CW