Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

40 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Beck Malenstyn traded to Buffalo Sabres for draft pick.

Not sure this moves the needle much. Appears to be a 4th line grinder. Maybe a Girgensons replacement?

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2024/06/29/beck-malenstyn-washington-capitals-buffalo-sabres-trade/

Bottom six is the need of the hour, so a good move if he fills that role.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I just want to say......... sabrespace has a way better hockey forum than TSW is for football.    All the years of losing have created a very realistic group of posters with a great sense of humor but still some tempered optimism.   Not the "but at least we're not the Lions" bickering BS from d!ckholes we had on TSW during the Bills playoff drought.  Call it like it is or join the circus.   For people who don't visit there,  it's worthwhile.

Sounds like you’re optimistic about the amount of pessimism.  Maybe I’ll check it out.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Beck Malenstyn traded to Buffalo Sabres for draft pick.

Not sure this moves the needle much. Appears to be a 4th line grinder. Maybe a Girgensons replacement?

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2024/06/29/beck-malenstyn-washington-capitals-buffalo-sabres-trade/

Sabres are getting dragged on social media for giving up too much (2nd rounder) and maybe they did, but I've seen this guy play before and he's a heck of a bottom 6 player. He hits like a truck and loves to do it, blocks shots, kills penalties, and other players hate playing against him. If he's Girgs replacement it's an upgrade. He won't light it up offensively but he's sure to be a fan favorite.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, QCity said:

Sabres are getting dragged on social media for giving up too much (2nd rounder) and maybe they did, but I've seen this guy play before and he's a heck of a bottom 6 player. He hits like a truck and loves to do it, blocks shots, kills penalties, and other players hate playing against him. If he's Girgs replacement it's an upgrade. He won't light it up offensively but he's sure to be a fan favorite.

This is exactly what we need and fans have been begging for so I don't understand the bitching and moaning about this move.  

36 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

This is exactly what we need and fans have been begging for so I don't understand the bitching and moaning about this move.  

I’ve had to disengage from Sabres social media this weekend (especially Twitter or X).  Absolutely brutal.  Every time the Sabres posted to “introduce” a new draft pick the comments were relentlessly negative and ridiculous.  It’s tough to see.  I hope these young players aren’t reading this stuff.  😝 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Picked in round 7 on his 7th birthday.

I dont understand the laughter reaction. I mean yes this kid looks like he belongs in middle school but otherwise?

I need to check out sabrespace and lurk. I have no business discussing hockey beyond being a fangirl of the Sabres. though  At least I own it

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Today 7/1 is the start of FA. Any rumors or speculation with the Sabres on who they are interested in.

I am not expecting much. Probably just some bottom of the roster additions again, as usual.

Friedman put out a list of rumors about where all the top free agents will sign and Buffalo was not mentioned once, which Lance Lysowski seemed to confirm. Then said they are in on some bottom 6 players and depth defenseman (#6-8 types).

and said their biggest splash will be via trade.

except Kevyn Adams doesn’t seem able to close any trades...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)

After being bought out by the Buffalo Sabres, a team that has missed the playoffs for 13 straight years, Jeff Skinner signed a one-year deal with the Edmonton Oilers, a team that was a win away from winning the Stanley Cup.

Skinner joins the Oilers after the Sabres bought out the final three years of an eight-year contract that saw him earn $9 million annually. With the Oilers, Skinner will make $3 million for his year of service. (ESPN)

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

Girgensons signed a 3 year deal with Tampa Bay. $850k x 3

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/lightning-sign-f-zemgus-girgensons-to-a-three-year-contract

looks like he took a discount to sign with a winning team. I can’t blame him prioritizing winning after spending his entire career in Buffalo. Some really brutal years too since he was here during the tank for McDavid/Eichel.

3 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

After being bought out by the Buffalo Sabres, a team that has missed the playoffs for 13 straight years, Jeff Skinner signed a one-year deal with the Edmonton Oilers, a team that was a win away from winning the Stanley Cup.

Skinner joins the Oilers after the Sabres bought out the final three years of an eight-year contract that saw him earn $9 million annually. With the Oilers, Skinner will make $3 million for his year of service. (ESPN)

It’ll be interesting to see how he fits in Edmonton.

• Like (+1) 2

Victor Olofsson chose a reunion with his former linemate and captain Jack Eichel, on the recent Stanley Cup champion Vegas Golden Knights.  Olofsson, 28, produced only seven goals and 15 points in 51 games during his final season in Buffalo under former coach Don Granato. However, Olofsson is only one year removed from totaling a career-best 28 goals to help the Sabres nearly qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs with 91 standings points.  (TBN)

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Picked in round 7 on his 7th birthday.

is that kid 12?

does this violate child labor laws?

#lolsabres

On 6/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I just want to say......... sabrespace has a way better hockey forum than TSW is for football.    All the years of losing have created a very realistic group of posters with a great sense of humor but still some tempered optimism.   Not the "but at least we're not the Lions" bickering BS from d!ckholes we had on TSW during the Bills playoff drought.  Call it like it is or join the circus.   For people who don't visit there,  it's worthwhile.

The Bills were NEVER as bad as the sabres have been. The Sabres are a crime against humanity. Hey, at least there's a strong pipeline of talent in rochester :lol:

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Adams can you make a ***** big signing or trade already?  Right now you see the latest joke of the GM of the Sabres

He is dealing with the same stuff the Bills dealt with during the draught...players dont want to play here.     To want to come to a place with high taxes and little to nothing to do, winning has to be part of the equation.   The Sabres dont win, they constantly change direction, and their best players may not even be considered in the best 100 in the league.  

It's going to take them drafting a star at some point because no one worth paying is going to sign or accept a trade here. 

Edited by thenorthremembers