Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

JFresh on X: "Jeff Skinner will be bought out by BUF. - Very efficient goal-scorer - Strong chance creator, especially off rush - Inconsistent playmaker - Not much of a puck carrier - Agile but not fast skater - Uninvolved defensively and on the forecheck with little physicality https://t.co/cincRug9ZZ" / X

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

JFresh on X: "Jeff Skinner will be bought out by BUF. - Very efficient goal-scorer - Strong chance creator, especially off rush - Inconsistent playmaker - Not much of a puck carrier - Agile but not fast skater - Uninvolved defensively and on the forecheck with little physicality https://t.co/cincRug9ZZ" / X

good! I just hope they use the cap space the buyout will create.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

good! I just hope they use the cap space the buyout will create.

3 years? Doesn't he have more years left? Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

3 years? Doesn't he have more years left? Maybe I'm missing something.

No, he has 3 years left at $9M/year.

The buyout length would be 6 years, maybe that’s what you are thinking of?

A buyout creates (a varying amount of) cap space in the first 3 years then adds 3 years of a $2.4M cap hit after that. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Skinner was fortunate the one year with Eichel feeding him, actually pretty good all around in 22/23 and pretty bad in all his other years here.  He doesn’t play D.  To my eye the one year he tried was 22/23 and if he played like that all the time he’d be far more valuable.

Funny videos though.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres make a trade.

Sabres PR on X: "The Buffalo Sabres have acquired a 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (14th overall) and a 2nd-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (42nd overall) from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (11th overall). https://t.co/ZDgKjThkFh" / X

38 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Sabres make a trade.

Sabres PR on X: "The Buffalo Sabres have acquired a 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (14th overall) and a 2nd-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (42nd overall) from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 1st-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft (11th overall). https://t.co/ZDgKjThkFh" / X

Has to be part of a bigger move. There’s no reason to trade down before they are on the clock (and see who’s on the board) otherwise. They are definitely not at a stage where they need to stockpile draft picks. The pipeline is almost too full as it is. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Has to be part of a bigger move. There’s no reason to trade down before they are on the clock (and see who’s on the board) otherwise. They are definitely not at a stage where they need to stockpile draft picks. The pipeline is almost too full as it is. 

I hope that's the case but you just never know with Adams 

• Like (+1) 1

damn, I wanted him in Buffalo. 

Mangiapane looked great on Cozens wing at worlds. He would’ve been a good fit.

I read he had an 8 team no trade list. Maybe Buffalo was on it?

38 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I hope that's the case but you just never know with Adams 

if we keep #14 and both 2nds this trade will make no sense at all.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, already a huge surprise and we are only at pick #3. Already throwing the top of the draft into a blender…

Sennecke’s reaction said it all. He was in shock. Reading his lips it sure looked like he said “OMG! WTF! WTF!” 😂

edit - found a video:

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well, no trade but I’m very happy with Helenius at #14. He is the guy I would have wanted Buffalo to draft at #11 (of who was left on the board). I liked Buium too but just didn’t see the fit in Buffalo (offensive left handed defenseman). 

So, no complaints about the trade down anymore. lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Sam Dickinson was the guy.  Top 5 talent.   They traded out of that pick though for some reason.

Yeah I would have been happy with Dickinson too. I really liked him, I just thought a 2 way center who is good at winning board battles and getting to the net + has some snarl/meanness to his game, and has already been playing with men since he was 16, was a bigger need than yet another left handed defenseman.

edit - I could even see Helenius competing for the 3C role this coming season, especially if Adams isn’t able to add a 3C through trade or free agency.

I very much want a veteran 3C but I don’t exactly have confidence that’ll happen.

Edited by BillsFan4

I just want to say......... sabrespace has a way better hockey forum than TSW is for football.    All the years of losing have created a very realistic group of posters with a great sense of humor but still some tempered optimism.   Not the "but at least we're not the Lions" bickering BS from d!ckholes we had on TSW during the Bills playoff drought.  Call it like it is or join the circus.   For people who don't visit there,  it's worthwhile.