(LAMP) Wish us luck...

We have an indoor fryer but the wings, while good, are never great. After tasting Rich's (and the CNJBBB) wings at the tailgate opener last year, he has convinced us to buy an outdoor fryer and have just assembled this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...garden&n=507846

(although ours has a wing pot as well: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...arden&n=284507)

Purchased it before Xmas last year for only $30 (total). :)

Anyway, as long as the weather holds out, we're going to use it for the first time today and see how it turns out. I'm slightly worried about blowing myself up (fire and oil don't mix...), but overall it doesn't look too unsafe I guess as long as common sense is maintained. :lol:

Figured this could serve as the basis for another "how do you make your wings" thread, since it's been several months since we've had one. :P

CW

With the help of Pinto Ron, my dad and I cooked up around 30lbs of wings for the Bengals vs. Bills game here in Cincy last fall.

They turned out great...Bills and Bengals fans alike seemed to enjoy them.

Make sure you do this far enough away from your house.

I don't know how many wings you're making, but I've heard of people deep-frying turkeys in their garage or just outside their homes, who have burned their houses down.

Hopefully, you have a friend who's a fireman.

Mike

I just got back from a "Wingfest" at my friend's house. He has a turkey fryer and we cooked up several batches (about 10 lbs of wings). They were awesome!! Make sure that the oil is hot, fry until crisp and use a good sauce recipe.

Serve with ice cold Labatt's Blue. It doesn't get much better than this!

I just got back from a "Wingfest" at my friend's house.  He has a turkey fryer and we cooked up several batches (about 10 lbs of wings).  They were awesome!!  Make sure that the oil is hot, fry until crisp and use a good sauce recipe.

Serve with ice cold Labatt's Blue.  It doesn't get much better than this!

347563[/snapback]

Well, we made 'em (and some french fries). The chicken, while good, wasn't WING good... :lol: We got the oil up to ~375, then put the wings in -- it dropped down to around 250F. We think the mistake was not turning the heat up to get the temperature back up fast enough. We learned for next time. :)

CW

you just have to remember to be safe with the thing, and to attempt to keep a constant temperature. I've used a turkey frier for wings and fried veggies and the thing was great. Used the expensive peanut oil and was able to keep the oil at temperature after adding the food. Just as long as you know the level to not fill above, all should be safe (unless you cook on a hill... )

you just have to remember to be safe with the thing, and to attempt to keep a constant temperature.  I've used a turkey frier for wings and fried veggies and the thing was great.  Used the expensive peanut oil and was able to keep the oil at temperature after adding the food.  Just as long as you know the level to not fill above, all should be safe (unless you cook on a hill...  )

347581[/snapback]

Or in a small boat.

Yeah you need to heat up the oil to 475 so that when you put the wings in it will only drop to about 350....

347661[/snapback]

Umm, everyone I've talked to and everything I've read has said that oil can ignite at 400F so do NOT let the oil get that high...

CW

Umm, everyone I've talked to and everything I've read has said that oil can ignite at 400F so do NOT let the oil get that high...

CW

347672[/snapback]

You need to talk to different people.

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/oils.html

An oil reaches its flash point at about 600°F. when tiny wisps of fire begin to leap from its surface. If the oil is heated to its fire point 700° F. for most oils, its surface will start vaporising and spontaneously ignite, surging up and out almost instantly. 

Miss Vickie? Did you meet her at Wegman's?  :blink: Or were you scraping up after Tiny Tim?

347681[/snapback]

Have you seen those commercials that are out now about how the message is relayed rather than what the message is?

:doh:

CW

347672[/snapback]

So regardless of what people say, have you actually done it?

I have many times without issues, actly it was 425 and not 475 now that I think about it

Have you seen those commercials that are out now about how the message is relayed rather than what the message is? 

:doh:

347684[/snapback]

I sense an experiment coming up. How many tanks of propane will fit on CTM's balcony? Has anyone ever tried to deep fry an entire steer?