NFL Football is in the air....

Perusing the magazine rack at the local book store today, I was "aroused" to see that both the Street & Smiths and PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY 2005 NFL preview issues were out. At 6.99 a pop, I could only buy one, so I chose the PFW...the info in it looked like it was more up to date. I know magazines are sort of antiquated these days, but I love reading these damn things, as full of outdated info as they may be. Here is a re-cap of how PFW sees our Bills for 2005:

NFL PREDICTIONS:

AFC Divison winners: Patriots (10-6), Steelers (11-5), Colts (13-3), Chargers (10-6)

AFC Wildcards: Jets (10-6), Ravens (10-6)

SuperBowl: Eagles over Colts

Bills: they predict the Bills (and the Dallas Bledsoes) to finish 7-9

2005 Rookies to watch:

Top 3: Mark Clayton (WR-RAVENS), Cedric Benson (RB-Dolphins), Carnell Williams (RB Bucs)

Others worth watching (beyond their top 20): Roscoe Parrish (#30 overall)

________________________________________________________________________________

PFW NFL POWER RANKINGS: Buffalo Bills #15 - 20/1 shot at Super Bowl

"Giving the reigns of the offense to untested Losman"

**their power ranking has the Bills ranked #10 in the AFC, behind

Patriots, Colts, Steeler,Chargers, Raves, Jets, Jaguars, Broncos and Chiefs

________________________________________________________________________________

RANKING THE TURF, FROM WORST TO FIRST: (poll of 1,514 active NFL players)

#1- Buccaneers- Raymond James Stadium

#2- Cardinals- Sun Devil Stadium

#3- Panthers - Bank Of America Stadioum

#4- Texans- Reliant Stadium

#5- Seahawks- Qwest Field

#24- Bills - Ralph Wilson Stadium

--the 7 teams whose facilities were ranked worse than Buffalo Bills:

Cowboys, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Raiders, Rams, Colts (Because Jets & Giants (#20) share a field, the ranking only goes to #31)

-- Incidently, the Bills are the only team with an AstroPlay field!

-- Of 31 NFL stadiums, 18 have grass fields. 15 of the top 20 fields in the ranking have grass, leaving the Patriots (#21), Bears (#23) and Raiders (#29) as the only teams with grass fields not ranked in the top 20.

-- Seattle (#5- FieldTurf) , Baltimore (#6- momentum turf), Lions (#10- FieldTurf), Falcons (#15-FieldTurf), and Gians/Jets (#20- FieldTurf) are the 5 teams with artificial surfaces, ranked in the top 20!

ULTIMATE NFL DRAFT:

They had 10 owners do a 26 player draft, of all of the talent available NFL talent. Each had to pick 11 offensive starters, 11 defensive starters, and 4 special teamers. This is NOT a fantasy football draft! Here is how our Bills players faired:

#32- Takeo Spikes LB (11th defensive player picked, 2nd linebacker (Ray Lewis) picked overall)

"High motor guy who plays pass and run equally well"

#63- Willis McGahee RB (6th running back taken overall)

"Took him over more established guys- because he is special"

#74- Nate Clements CB (8th corner overall- A.Winfield #3 corner overall)

"Stellar all around corner, who can return kicks"

#89- Sam Adams DE

"The man in the trenches, lets those linebackers run free"

#141- Lee Evans WR

"Stellar rookie season with 9 td's, great speed"

#142- Terrance McGee KR

"Dynamo who took 3 kicks back for TD's in 2004"

#169- Chris Villareal OG

"Tough run blocker, great value at this spot in draft"

#224- London Fletcher- LB

"Pinball, capable of recording 200 tackles"

#234- Brian Moorman P (6th punter overall)

"Quite a kicker, even in Buffalo elements"

- apparently, the editors and writers of PFW who were the "team owners" don't see Eric Moulds as one of the 20 best receivers in the league!

RANKING THE TOP 50 NFL PLAYERS (regardless of position- scale of 1-5):

#1- P. Manning- Colts- 4.7

#2- L. Tomlinson- Chargers- 4.65

#3- R. Moss- Raiders- 4.5

#4- T. Brady- Patriots- 4.5

#5- D. McNabb- Eagles- 4.5

#6- Ray Lewis- Ravens- 4.5

#7- B. Favre- Packers- 4.5

#8- M. Harrison- Colts- 4.45

#9- Jason Taylor- Dolphins (?)- 4.45

#10- D. Culpepper- Vikings- 4.45

#11- T. Owens- Eagles- 4.45

#37- Takeo Spikes- Bills- 4.0 (4th LB overall! Ahead: R.Lewis, Urlacher, Derrick Brooks)

RANKINGS BY POSITION:

QB: Drew Bledsoe (#22 of 24 rated)- 2.7

Top prospecets: JP Losman

RB:

Willis McGahee (#13)- 3.7 (compare him to Payton, say he still has not recovered his pre-injury "explosiveness" playing without the ball! They also say he still needs "a ton of work" playing without the ball! This means route running and pass blocking! )

Travis Henry (#16)- 3.5 (basically says he is a poor receiver and has had fumble problems, but is all and all, an overachiever for his size and speed, says he has "great balance")

FULL BACKS: No Bills rated out of 5 listed. Fred Beasley (49'ers) ranked #1 overall!

TIGHT ENDS: No Bills rated (out of top 15) , or mentioned as also's!

WIDE RECIEVERS:

Eric Moulds (#15)- 3.6- say he is an "up and down" receiver, big and athletic, can still make big plays, mention Lee Evans emergence as possibly cutting into his opportunities, and also mention him as a "victim of ever-changing offenses and inconsistant QB play!

Top Vetran Prospects (beyond the 27 WR's ranked): Lee Evans

CENTER: Trey Teauge (#15)- 2.9- say he is likely best suited to play left guard, praise his versatility, praise his athleticism, but say he can"struggle in recovery mode". Also mention his intelligence could allow him to play competantly at all OL positions, except RG!

OFFENSIVE GUARDS: Chris Villareal (#12) 3.2- "Nasty and powerful, keys the running game, rarely is beaten in pass protection, built like a fire hydrant!

Reuben Brown (#18) 2.9- Bears- Played to his Pro Bowl reputation, and was the Bears most consistant lineman in 2004, before suffering a late season neck injury!

OFFENSIVE TACKLES: Jonas Jennings (#15) 3.0- Efficient and effective, blue collar lineman. He is not a top tier tackle, because he does not dominate anyone.

- no Bills mentioned

DEFENSIE ENDS: 19 players ranked, no Bills. Aaron Schobel is mentioned as a top vetran prospect.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES: Sam Adams (#13)- 3.35- Surprising speed for a man of his age and girth, exceptional quickness off the ball, can dominate. Deserves more credit for the role he has played in the Bills defensive resurgence...

Pat Williams (#15)- 3.2- Has moments of brilliance, but has played most of past two seasons as if his tank was half empty. Good recognition and awareness skills. If age and weight don't hurt him, he could have a big impact on Vikings defense.

INSIDE LINEBACKERS: London Fletcher (#12)- 3.2-Finds the ball, a super productive tackle machine. Chatty, but backs it up with his play. Has great speed to pursue, can struggle on runnig plays directly at him. Continues to play at a very high level, has not lost much despite his age and lack of size.

OUTSIE LINEBACKERS: Takeo Spikes (#2) - 4.0- Rarely makes mistakes or misses assignments. Has high octane motor, and terrific speed to pursue plays. His only weakness (they say) is a tendancy to, at times, get a little too wrapped up in the emotion of the game.

CORNERBACKS: Nate Clements (#7) 3.7- Has size and physical traits of a safety, but the speed and ball skills of a shutdown corner. Strong and solid open field tackler. Technique is solid, but inconsistant.

Top Prospects: Terrance McGee

SAFETIES: Lawyer Milloy (#14)- 3.0- Like an extra linebacker, good tougness, plays as if every down counts. Prone to focusing on making the "big hit". Shouldn't be on the field against the pass, but could be aided by the shifting of Troy Vincent to the inside!

PUNTER: Brian Moorman (#4)- 3.3- "When you factor in all of the elements and other variables, Moorman's last three seasons have been incredible" They rank Shane Lechler (RAIDERS- 3.8), Caig Hentrich (TITANS- 3.6) and Todd Sauerbrun (PANTHERS- 3.3) ahead of Moorman. IMO, Saurbrun is there on name recognition, not performance. Moorman is much more consistant.

PLACEKICKER: Uh, no Bills mentioned! Anyone surprised?

FANTASY TIPS:

If you are in a "keeper leauge" and you can keep Willis McGahee or Julius Jones, do it!

TEAM RECAP: Grading by position:

BILLS QB's- C+

RB's- B+

WR's- B+

OL: - B-

DL: - B-

LB: - B+

DB: - A-

Special Teams- A-

Bills summary- They give Mike Mualkey and staff very high marks for "sticking with the program" in his first season. They also mention that there is no tangible reason the Bills special teams and defense should not remain amongst the best in the leauge. JP Losman is seen as the wild card. If he performs like a rookie, with lots of growing pains, the Bills will struggle to stay at the success level they had last year. If he is that rare guy who plays beyond his experience, the Bills could be a surprise team in 2005!

Please note, all the info above is from the Pro Football Weekly 2005 Preview. I am posting this to save you all $7.00. If this were all my opinion, no way would Brian "friggin" Urlacher be rated as one of the top 50 players in the NFL. All deference to Zach Thomas, Urlacher may be, IMO, the most overrated player in the leauge, which is saying a lot! Cheers!

I always appreciate people saving me money... Thanks :)

I think from reading this PFW is pretty spot on about most of their analysis and predictions. except for

NFL PREDICTIONS:

AFC Divison winners: Patriots (10-6), Steelers (11-5), Colts (13-3), Chargers (10-6)

AFC Wildcards: Jets (10-6), Ravens (10-6)

As of today I say

AFC division Winners: Chiefs (13-3), Pats (12-4), Jaguars (11-5), Bengals (10-6)

AFC Wildcards: Colts (10-6) Jets (9-7)

If KC gets any semblence of a defense at all which I think they can they're gonna be extremly tough to beat, with one if not the best offense in the league.

The Jags gave the colts fits last year as long as Taylor is ready by the start of the season and he can stay healthy the jags should make some noise.

The Bengals I was debating about due to the ravens and the steelers defense. Than I had flashbacks of Carson Palmer carving up that ravens d in the 4th quater of a game last year. He's the best qb in that division, They have good offensive weapons and i think their d will improve. That and I just can't go with any team who's starting qb is Kyle Boller(yuck). I look for ben rothelisberger to take a big step back.

PFW'S ROOKIES TO WATCH

2005 Rookies to watch:

Top 3: Mark Clayton (WR-RAVENS), Cedric Benson (RB-Dolphins), Carnell Williams (RB Bucs)

Others worth watching (beyond their top 20): Roscoe Parrish (#30 overall)

My Rookies to Wach

Top 3: Troy Williamson(Wr- Minnesota). Mike Williams (Wr- Detroit) Marcus Spears( De- Dallas)

The Bills I think as of now will finish 7-9. Due to inconsistent line play, 1st year jitters by JP, and Lindells inability to kick fg's will cost us a few games. We have the talent to be a playoff team and possibly more, but we won't win close games until we get a real kicker, and that will be the #1 reason why we miss the playoffs in 2005

Once again thanks for posting this It's definitly appreciated

Well, there you have it. The definitive analysis of rosters...in May. :)

It's the standard " Caution with Losman " opinion, which we'll read ad nauseum from now until September.

I'm still confident in this team. Pound sand, PFW.

Well, there you have it. The definitive analysis of rosters...in May.  :) 

It's the standard " Caution with Losman " opinion, which we'll read ad nauseum from now until September.

I'm still confident in this team. Pound sand, PFW.

347364[/snapback]

I agree. I am not exactly sure why, but the thing that gives me the most confidence in this team is Mularkey. I never hated Gregg Williams, or Wade Phillips. But, I never really had the feeling that either had a real vision for their teams, either. I realize that those were different rosters, but it just seemed like the franchise was gasping for air for about 5 years there, with no real plan. We are finally going to have a team with a personality, thanks to Mularkey, and his coaching staff. When I listen to Mularkey, he just seems to have something extra that the two guys before him didn't have. It seemed like Williams had to do an awful lot of on the job learning, while Mularkey just seems like a head coach. I hate to jinx him (and us), but he kind of reminds me a bit of a certain defensive "genious", who has been wildly successful the last couple of years, and resides in the AFC East.

I just have this weird feeling that he is going to be regarded as one of the better NFL coaches in the leauge, before too long. I just don't know enough about Losman to think he will be great, or that he will be a bust. But, either way, I just get the feeling that this team is ready to work with whatever they have, and be successful. Decidining to part with Bledsoe (whether I agree with it of not) was a ballsy move for a 1st year coach (and yes I realize that ohters had some input), and I have the feeling that if Losman turns out to be terrible, Mularkey won't have a problem yanking him and going with Holcomb.

While I am not ready to predict anything record wise, I do think this team is finally starting to climb back toward the ledge of respectability. Once they are there, anything could happen.

I agree.  I am not exactly sure why, but the thing that gives me the most confidence in this team is Mularkey. I never hated Gregg Williams, or Wade Phillips.  But, I never really had the feeling that either had a real vision for their teams, either. I realize that those were different rosters, but it just seemed like the franchise was gasping for air for about 5 years there, with no real plan. We are finally going to have a team with a personality, thanks to Mularkey, and his coaching staff.  When I listen to Mularkey, he just seems to have something extra that the two guys before him didn't have.  It seemed like Williams had to do an awful lot of on the job learning, while Mularkey just seems like a head coach.  I hate to jinx him (and us), but he kind of reminds me a bit of a certain defensive "genious", who has been wildly successful  the last couple of years, and resides in the AFC East. 

I just have this weird feeling that he is going to be regarded as one of the better NFL coaches in the leauge, before too long.  I just don't know enough about Losman to think he will be great, or that he will be a bust. But, either way, I just get the feeling that this team is ready to work with whatever they have, and be successful.  Deciding to part with Bledsoe (whether I agree with it of not) was a ballsy move for a 1st year coach (and yes I realize that ohters had some input), and I have the feeling that if Losman turns out to be terrible, Mularkey won't have a problem yanking him and going with Holcomb. 

While I am not ready to predict anything record wise, I do think this team is finally starting to climb back toward the ledge of respectability.  Once they are there, anything could happen.

347368[/snapback]

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

I used to buy the Rags religiously but now with all the internet websites it just isn't worth it. I even stopped my subscription to SHOUT! (although that was mostly due to my perceived drop in objectiveness from the writers once the newspaper changed hands).

My "distant" observation of the Rags is that they never seem to predict anything other than a repeat of the previous year with only a slight change in the margins.

Anyone picking the Bills this year would be taking a risk - JP is an unknown and the Patriots are simply a powerhouse - in the same division.

BUT - the Bills will PROBABLY be a better team this year - Drew's play was so bad and the schedule this year is conducive to a good start. Therefore, 7-9 (a 2-game drop from last year's 9-7) is a poor prediction and has to assume that JP will play considerably worse than Drew did last year.

Might happen - but my money is on the SLIGHT opposite (I expect JP to play better than Drew did last year due to his legs). If JP actually starts to stop and throw then I predict he will play much beeter than Drew which would equate to at least a 2-game swing.

Also, this love-fest with the Jets will end this year. They will be under 500 in 2005. Bank it.

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

2005 Rookies to watch:

Uh, didn't the Dolphins draft Ronnie Brown? :)

I've always found Lindy's to be the most enjoyable football rag. Even in the age of the internet, I still (will) plunk down $6-7 for it.

Uh, didn't the Dolphins draft Ronnie Brown? :doh:

I've always found Lindy's to be the most enjoyable football rag.  Even in the age of the internet, I still (will) plunk down $6-7 for it.

347392[/snapback]

You are correct, the Fins drafted Brown not Benson.

Perusing the magazine rack at the local book store today, I was "aroused" to see that both the Street & Smiths and PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY 2005 NFL preview issues were out. 

Jeez I didn't know you meant THAT kind of "Hardcore NFL post." :doh: