RIP Cities. We told you 6 feet apart would do it

How anyone can look at California .. a state given EVERYTHING, in terms of beauty and resources, see what it’s become and think “I want that for my family” is beyond me. 

At least in southern cities, the filth and violence is relegated to certain parts of the city … it doesn’t sprawl with the population. 

At least in southern cities, we didn’t become pawns in a power grab for authoritarian leftists to cosplay as tyrants during a pandemic. 

America is that country.  We’ve been given EVERYTHING, in terms of beauty and resources, and we’re on a slow descent to the Californication of our country if not for the recent, unofficial Balkanization of citizen migratory patterns. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

It’s because NIMBYism, decades of horrible zoning laws, car-centric development and underinvestment in our inner cities has created an unfathomable housing crisis. People cannot afford to live in cities. Simple as.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

It’s because NIMBYism, decades of horrible zoning laws, car-centric development and underinvestment in our inner cities has created an unfathomable housing crisis. People cannot afford to live in cities. Simple as.

Most cities have mass transportation that the burbs dont have.

Where is the cheapest housing in the buffalo area?  I doubt its the burbs

Cities just like Dark blue states. People are fleeing them for number of reasons.

Like someone mentioned above. Cali has everything one could want from a state.  But yet its leading the nation in Net domestic migration out of it.  

Just now, Chris farley said:

Most cities have mass transportation that the burbs dont have.

Where is the cheapest housing in the buffalo area?  I doubt its the burbs

Cheapest housing would be some rotten old workers’ cottage built to last 50 years 100 years ago on Paderewski Drive. 

Cities in California have some of the worst housing crises in the nation because they’re the most desirable places to live - great public transit, lovely weather, lots to do, very affluent, etc. People are simply being priced out - it’s classic supply and demand. You can see this in most of America’s marquee cities. 

Cheapest housing would be some rotten old workers’ cottage built to last 50 years 100 years ago on Paderewski Drive. 

Cities in California have some of the worst housing crises in the nation because they’re the most desirable places to live - great public transit, lovely weather, lots to do, very affluent, etc. People are simply being priced out - it’s classic supply and demand. You can see this in most of America’s marquee cities. 

What cities are those?  

I dont see people fleeing Texas..  

21 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

What cities are those?  

I dont see people fleeing Texas..  

San Francisco, the NIMBY Capitol of the universe for one… 

People can’t live where there is no housing. Simple as. Why do you think half the office workers in NYC live in New Jersey?

14 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Texas was 2nd in number of people leaving the state in 2021

Texas blows btw. I guess San Antonio & Austin is nice. But Houston and Dallas completely suck, you couldn't pay me to live there

God I hate Houston. Idiots are spending billions to expand highways even though decades of induced demand show that it doesn’t work for reducing traffic and never will. 

25 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Texas was 2nd in number of people leaving the state in 2021

Texas blows btw. I guess San Antonio & Austin is nice. But Houston and Dallas completely suck, you couldn't pay me to live there

Not even close.

more like second for where people are going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

San Francisco, the NIMBY Capitol of the universe for one… 

People can’t live where there is no housing. Simple as. Why do you think half the office workers in NYC live in New Jersey?

God I hate Houston. Idiots are spending billions to expand highways even though decades of induced demand show that it doesn’t work for reducing traffic and never will. 

The city with homeless encampments, human crap on the streets?  sounds amazing.

its funny you keep mentioning NIMBY. as you wanna see that get crazy, talk low-cost housing in the burbs.  

3 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

The city with homeless encampments, human crap on the streets?  sounds amazing.

its funny you keep mentioning NIMBY. as you wanna see that get crazy, talk low-cost housing in the burbs.  

Why do you think there’s a homeless problem? Big chunk of it is a complete lack of affordable housing. 

Yes, I agree that NIMBYism is strong in suburbia as well. It’s strong everywhere sadly. People don’t like to acknowledge that cities are dynamic entities constantly changing, not little museums frozen in time the way they remember it. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It is accurate and yes I have. What doesnt make sense about it? People are coming there AND people are leaving there

ITs not second for Net domestic migration, and 49th for net domestic migration.  

you sure you went to college?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

Why do you think there’s a homeless problem? Big chunk of it is a complete lack of affordable housing. 

Yes, I agree that NIMBYism is strong in suburbia as well. It’s strong everywhere sadly. People don’t like to acknowledge that cities are dynamic entities constantly changing, not little museums frozen in time the way they remember it. 

you keep saying that. what city did you grow up in? what city do you live in now?

Why dont you live in the city? to expensive?

Edited by Chris farley

8 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

you keep saying that. what city did you grow up in? what city do you live in now?

Why dont you live in the city? to expensive?

I live in Buffalo proper. Rents are going up as it becomes more desirable to live in. Again, simple supply and demand here. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

I live in Buffalo proper. Rents are going up as it becomes more desirable to live in. Again, simple supply and demand here. 

Everything is going up, housing included.  called inflation.

buffalo proper is a nice way of saying the burbs that is not the city.

18 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And it did - no matter how these morons want to frame it.  

Current viral videos of subways are most definitely not helping.   And videos of life in general.  

Everything libs run turns to 💩 

A national job market and remote work has transformed where people can live.  Everyone with the means is re-evaluating where and how they want to live.  We are no longer anchored to where the office is located or where industry is concentrated.  Its no surprise that there is a ton of movement.

I know its more fun to roll this factoid into a mega rant about all the ills of society.

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A national job market and remote work has transformed where people can live.  Everyone with the means is re-evaluating where and how they want to live.  We are no longer anchored to where the office is located or where industry is concentrated.  Its no surprise that there is a ton of movement.

I know its more fun to roll this factoid into a mega rant about all the ills of society.

Oh no, that perfectly explains why so many left the cities as soon as they could afford to.  and why they are not rushing back into them.

The State domestic migration has been going on for much longer than covid.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Everything is going up, housing included.  called inflation.

buffalo proper is a nice way of saying the burbs that is not the city.

me: “I live in Buffalo”

you: “um achtually you don’t”

as I’ve said before on here, I have a masters degree in urban planning and work as a planner professionally. I don’t know why you doubt me on this topic, it’s how I pay my bills.

Edited by Roundybout

12 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

My bad for remembering when you told me you lived in the burbs for the schools.

And yes, I understand you have a degree in that field.  

you think people will flock back to the cities when they are 15-minute cities where everyone shares everything owned by someone else?

No, I’m sorry if I misstated earlier. My wife and I intend to move to the burbs when the time comes to have kids for the schools. Inner ring suburb most likely. 

I do think vibrant communities full of energy and life, where you don’t have to drive 20 minutes to a soulless shopping center for milk, will be very attractive to people, yes.