Matt Araiza

SCBills

1 hour ago, AZSanta said:

I bet any money Coach MCD had a say in it because of his Christian background and the "Culture" he wants to preserve.

If so, it must be selective..... 

54 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Bills handed the Von-Miller-beating-his-baby-mama news quite differently.

.....to mention that he had the same issue with another woman previous to signing here.

Just now, US Egg said:

If so, it must be selective..... 

.....to mention that he had the same issue with another woman previous to signing here.

Ah yes but he has an unbreakable contract and was a good DE at one point so he can beat all the women he likes. 

At this point who cares, the Bills did what they did but pretending it was some sort of high moral ground positioning rather than cynical calculus is just BS

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How long did that case drag on before he was exonerated? And why didn’t anyone sign him right after we cut him or even shortly thereafter? Distraction is an understatement. The league and every team in it had to wait for the issue to be settled. The Bills could have made him an offer like KC did, but I’ve come to learn that Araiza may not have been entirely forthcoming with the team at the time all this came to light, so it’s understandable that they would just wish him best of luck elsewhere. 

I'm not sure about all the details of his release and what he told the Bills. I do think the Bills seemed reluctant to cut him, but didnt feel they had much choice. In the end, a punter is not why this team hasn't gotten over the hump. Now kicker on the other hand....

13 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Ah yes but he has an unbreakable contract and was a good DE at one point so he can beat all the women he likes. 

At this point who cares, the Bills did what they did but pretending it was some sort of high moral ground positioning rather than cynical calculus is just BS

No one is claiming the Bills cut him on moral grounds. The team itself never said it was releasing him as some sort of signal of solidarity with the alleged victim or abused women in general. You’re arguing with yourself.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

OP earned an extra .5 point from me for nailing the lack of paragraph breaks.

After conferring with my fellow judge, upon review the Bulgarian judge must deduct a point for said lack of paragraphs.  Revised score is 7.375

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How long did that case drag on before he was exonerated? And why didn’t anyone sign him right after we cut him or even shortly thereafter? Distraction is an understatement. The league and every team in it had to wait for the issue to be settled. The Bills could have made him an offer like KC did, but I’ve come to learn that Araiza may not have been entirely forthcoming with the team at the time all this came to light, so it’s understandable that they would just wish him best of luck elsewhere. 

basically 2 seasons.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They had no choice but to cut him. Had he already played a single NFL game he could have gone on the commissioner's exempt list and the Bills could have long grassed it. That option doesn't exist so it was a choice between answer questions about whether your punter is a rapist every week for 12 months until it resolved itself or cut him. There unfortunately was no third way.

I think the mob rule, trial by social media trend is one of the most damaging elements of modern society and have said so many times on here. I had at the time and have now huge sympathy for Araiza and how it played out. Even if he had done it, even if he was guilty, he is entitled to have that determined by a court of law not a keyboard warrior pile on. That is the justice system. It is precious and we must defend it at all costs. 

But sadly once things went as they did the Bills had no option. 

NO CHOICE?

Seriously?

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

At the end of the CHiefs game, I believe Araiza outkicked the coverage and gave up a big run back that resulted in a game losing FG as time expired.  The Araiza situation was pretty unique.  To now propose that Worthy is going to be equal to Hill is kind of just making stuff up, alarmist/panicky sounding.   The Bills did not give up on Worthy, you have no clue who the Bills would have drafted there.  Why dont we give the BIlls crap for not drafting Sky Moore or other guys who did not work out for the CHiefs.  This topic is very middle school dramaish.

Because Skyy Moore doesn't fit the narrative the poster trying to make. Nor does CEH or any number of picks that failed to work out for the Chiefs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I did look through this entire thread but maybe I missed the post about Beane or someone else in the front office saying that they did NOT have any interest in bringing MA back when he was cleared and that they definitely did NOT give his agent a call.

With that in mind it seems to me we really have no idea if the Bills passed on bringing MA back just like we have no idea if they would have taken Worthy at the traded pick to KC.

Sooooo.... much ado about nothing?

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

NO CHOICE?

Seriously?

Answering questions every week about whether your punter is a rapist is not a viable option. It really isn't. It just corodes. 

I wish there was an alternative because I think the situation it left Araiza in was totally unfair. But there wasn't. The league should allow use of the commissioner's exemption list from the moment a player is drafted IMO.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

At the time, the investigation was pending I thought and the Bills kinda had to move on.  It was more an issue of bad timing with Araiza.

They did. The problem wasn't the accusations or his legal problems. Araiza did not tell the Bills about it. He concealed it. Had he told them (even doing the slightly less bad thing of telling them right after he was drafted) then they would have been out in front of it. Araiza chose not to tell them. Araiza suffered from the situation with that woman making accusations, but he did wrong by not telling the Bills and forced their hand.

Edited by Malazan

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

And.. again, the problem wasn't the accusations or his legal problems. Araiza did not tell the Bills about it. He concealed it. Had he told them (even doing the slightly less bad thing of telling them right after he was drafted) then they would have been out in front of it. Araiza chose not to tell them. He forced the Bills hand by not doing so.

He concealed WHAT?   The DA never pressed charges.  The woman and her attorney didn't even file a suit. The Bills cut him the day after the (false) accusation became public.  So I'll ask again, what did Araiza conceal?

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AZSanta said:

Watching Matt Araiza boom 70 yd punts on a consistent basis, while hollow leg Martin "Mr Shank" himself is still allowed to punt for this team is beyond frustrating. We now have to watch Mahommes win multiple Super Bowls and eliminate us from the playoffs every year. If Xavier Worthy is the next Tyreek Hill we seriously have to question if this team, this city has a voodoo curse on it. Why the hell did Beane not sign Araiza after he was absolved of any wrong doing? You waste a draft pick on the guy and he is available to you and you ignore the chance to sign him. I bet any money Coach MCD had a say in it because of his Christian background and the "Culture" he wants to preserve. If players can help you win games you have to have them on the team. Field position is a huge factor in the game and Araiza is a weapon to have on the team. I love Josh Allen and I am not saying this to be negative towards him but why do we have to help  KC look so good every year. Bill's Mafia we are living in a nightmare.

Very few people wanted Mahomes at 10 that draft around here, so lets not pretend he was the obvious pick and we passed.  In fact, most people here had Trubisky as the top QB or Watson.  And almost everyone wanted to take Watson over Mahomes if we had gone QB at that time.  Araiza, there was nothing the Bills could do there, they had to make that move, and they were dragged through the mud by so many people here and in the media for not doing it "sooner".  And Worthy...KC is a great fit in KC where he gets to be a 3rd or 4th option behind Kelce, Rice, and Hollywood.  But Bills already had their fill of smaller WR's, they needed a bigger outside target who can be more physical as we have not been the more physical team in our playoff exits.  Roles and situations are a big part of a players fit and success/failure in the NFL.  Bills needed an outside guy that isn't getting blown up every time he is jammed at the LOS.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

NO CHOICE?

Seriously?

Yes. No choice.

Again, any other team could have picked him up any time after the Bills released him. ANYTIME (since you appreciate caps lock.) None did. 

It wasn’t until after both the DA investigation was completely concluded and the civil suit was completely settled in Araiza’s favor that he was brought in by KC. (Yes I’m aware the Jets brought him in briefly but nothing came of that.)

That alone should tell you that every other team in the league would have done the exact same thing the Bills did.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Very few people wanted Mahomes at 10 that draft around here, so lets not pretend he was the obvious pick and we passed.  In fact, most people here had Trubisky as the top QB or Watson.  And almost everyone wanted to take Watson over Mahomes if we had gone QB at that time.  Araiza, there was nothing the Bills could do there, they had to make that move, and they were dragged through the mud by so many people here and in the media for not doing it "sooner".  And Worthy...KC is a great fit in KC where he gets to be a 3rd or 4th option behind Kelce, Rice, and Hollywood.  But Bills already had their fill of smaller WR's, they needed a bigger outside target who can be more physical as we have not been the more physical team in our playoff exits.  Roles and situations are a big part of a players fit and success/failure in the NFL.  Bills needed an outside guy that isn't getting blown up every time he is jammed at the LOS.

I remember that draft. Most of the board would have lost their minds if we picked Mahomes.

• Agree 2

Just now, dorquemada said:

He concealed WHAT?   The DA never pressed charges.  The woman and her attorney didn't even file a suit. The Bills cut him the day after the (false) accusation became public.  So I'll ask again, what did Araiza conceal?

It doesn't matter what I tell you. You're going to twist yourself into whatever knots you need to to continue your narrative.

He knew he was under investigation. He knew enough that he engaged legal representation for it. He should have told the Bills that DA was investigating him on charges. So if he felt he needed legal representation on it.. why didn't he feel like the Bills should know?

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

It doesn't matter what I tell you. You're going to twist yourself into whatever knots you need to to continue your narrative.

He knew he was under investigation. He knew enough that he engaged legal representation for it. He should have told the Bills that DA was investigating him on charges. So if he felt he needed legal representation on it.. why didn't he feel like the Bills should know?

He knew he had nothing to do with it.  It's perfect encapsulation about the way a lot of people think these days that he should put himself through a maoist style struggle session based on a lie told by someone with zero basis in fact.

• Like (+1) 1