Matt Araiza

SCBills

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The actual crux is that it happened before he was drafted so there isn't an exemption to keep him away from the team but still keep his contract.  

Its an NFL team.  The standard is different, and its a LOT different for punters.  It's a privilege to play in the league, and the individual teams cut players constantly.    

As for bringing up the salem witch trials... uhh that was like 100 years before America was even a thing.  Araiza spent no time in prison/jail, he made 216,148 dollars to never suit up for the Bills (the same as if he had just not made the team), and it played out in due process and he didn't pay her any money.  I don't get why it's the Bills job to stand by him in that scenario, especially if the rumor was that he hadn't disclosed everything to the team.  

What pray tell should he have revealed about the incident?  "I didn't do something but I'm going to get accused of it"?

It's ok to admit that Bills management got caught up in the general hysteria of the moment and thought they could curry favor by being decisive.  One thing I've observed in this era is that the people who scream the loudest about this sort of thing are always on to the next grievance and aren't going to become consumers of your product.  Many such cases.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Omg! I thought the days of people caring about a punter disappeared with Moorman. Those were some of the worst days as a Bills fan. Imagine crying about a punier when you have Josh Allen. 

also news flash, no team is going to keep a punter who is getting investigated for raping an underage girl. Now if Josh was in the same situation (he is a saint and would never be), guess who still has a roster spot??? Welcome to the world of double standards. 

Crying about punters is what teams with crappy qbs do. Not ones with Josh Allen. Turn the page. 

Dude people still wear his jersey to games which is astonishing to me

1 hour ago, AZSanta said:

Watching Matt Araiza boom 70 yd punts on a consistent basis, while hollow leg Martin "Mr Shank" himself is still allowed to punt for this team is beyond frustrating. We now have to watch Mahommes win multiple Super Bowls and eliminate us from the playoffs every year. If Xavier Worthy is the next Tyreek Hill we seriously have to question if this team, this city has a voodoo curse on it. Why the hell did Beane not sign Araiza after he was absolved of any wrong doing? You waste a draft pick on the guy and he is available to you and you ignore the chance to sign him. I bet any money Coach MCD had a say in it because of his Christian background and the "Culture" he wants to preserve. If players can help you win games you have to have them on the team. Field position is a huge factor in the game and Araiza is a weapon to have on the team. I love Josh Allen and I am not saying this to be negative towards him but why do we have to help  KC look so good every year. Bill's Mafia we are living in a nightmare.

So many people are giving you crap. I’m here to say I agree with you. Your not the only one who’s lost faith in this team and the people that are responsible for running it/coaching it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Dude people still wear his jersey to games which is astonishing to me

I do enjoy a nice random jersey at a game though - Losman, Manuel (the Bills still screwed him!), Evans, etc. recently spotted a Todd Collins and London Fletcher while in Buffalo!

but the Moorman era of the bills (not his fault) was the darkest chapter of my bills fandom. I will never cry about a piece punter again.

its Worthy who might be the bigger problem that we let them have. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

So many people are giving you crap. I’m here to say I agree with you. Your not the only one who’s lost faith in this team and the people that are responsible for running it/coaching it. 

So on a top 3 SB contender with one of the best offenses in the nfl, you would have kept a rookie punter investigated for raping an underage girl around? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

Watching Matt Araiza boom 70 yd punts on a consistent basis, while hollow leg Martin "Mr Shank" himself is still allowed to punt for this team is beyond frustrating. We now have to watch Mahommes win multiple Super Bowls and eliminate us from the playoffs every year. If Xavier Worthy is the next Tyreek Hill we seriously have to question if this team, this city has a voodoo curse on it. Why the hell did Beane not sign Araiza after he was absolved of any wrong doing? You waste a draft pick on the guy and he is available to you and you ignore the chance to sign him. I bet any money Coach MCD had a say in it because of his Christian background and the "Culture" he wants to preserve. If players can help you win games you have to have them on the team. Field position is a huge factor in the game and Araiza is a weapon to have on the team. I love Josh Allen and I am not saying this to be negative towards him but why do we have to help  KC look so good every year. Bill's Mafia we are living in a nightmare.

Could we let Araiza and Worthy play a few games that count before getting into Christian values undermining our potential. The choke job against KC in the playoffs is owned by Bass, Diggs and our defense which got dominated again when it counted most. Keeping Bass is a Beane problem. Not resigning Araiza was a decision that at least a 90%of the clubs would agree with because the prospect of political backlash was not worth it. Martin will be good enough until the elements start messing with him, but he won’t be the reason we miss the playoffs, if we do.I still like our chances.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do enjoy a nice random jersey at a game though - Losman, Manuel (the Bills still screwed him!), Evans, etc. recently spotted a Todd Collins and London Fletcher while in Buffalo!

but the Moorman era of the bills (not his fault) was the darkest chapter of my bills fandom. I will never cry about a piece punter again.

So on a top 3 SB contender with one of the best offenses in the nfl, you would have kept a rookie punter investigated for raping an underage girl around? 

That’s nothing, I saw a Coy Wire at the Blue and Red Scrimmage a couple weeks back. Love seeing weird jerseys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Key word 

How did it turn out again? 

Don't look now, but if you watched any of the games this weekend,, you saw a number of good punters, booming the ball consistently over 60 yards.  Araiza is not all that and a bag of chips.  It's water under the bridge.  Move on, already.

No team was going to keep a punter on their roster with that type of investigation.  You notice no one signed him until he was cleared?  Can't have that type of distraction from the punter.

Xavier Worthy who knows if he'll be good.   Can't take stock in pre season.  

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

lol. And yet you’re here, everyday, posting about the new stadium and getting tickets and oh so eager to hand them more of your money. Funny how the “faithless” act.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Not sure Araiza would even want to come back to the Bills after they surrendered to the mob and threw him under the bus. I know I wouldn't!

The entire NFL "surrendered to the mob." Any team could have signed him. Instead it was a full two years after the initial accusation before he finally got his second chance. Every single team, the Chiefs included, would have cut him during the initial media storm.

It isn't fair but punters can't have baggage and remain on an NFL roster. I'm just happy he was exonerated and got his second chance. I couldn't care less about who the Chiefs' punter is.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The entire NFL "surrendered to the mob." Any team could have signed him. Instead it was a full two years after the initial accusation before he finally got his second chance. Every single team, the Chiefs included, would have cut him during the initial media storm.

It isn't fair but punters can't have baggage and remain on an NFL roster. I'm just happy he was exonerated and got his second chance. I couldn't care less about who the Chiefs' punter is.

Correct on all accounts.

the Araiza thing sucked. It’s easy to be brave and stand for due process when you don’t have to experience any of the consequences. 

Ultimately, it was a tough decision to can him and I won’t judge them for it. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

No organization was going to allow the distraction of a rookie punter on a team with championship aspirations with such a serious charge. 

I also maintain the Bills did him a favor and let him focus on that, instead of trying to maintain his innocence while also focusing on his NFL career

How long did that case drag on before he was exonerated? And why didn’t anyone sign him right after we cut him or even shortly thereafter? Distraction is an understatement. The league and every team in it had to wait for the issue to be settled. The Bills could have made him an offer like KC did, but I’ve come to learn that Araiza may not have been entirely forthcoming with the team at the time all this came to light, so it’s understandable that they would just wish him best of luck elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Right, he was accused of something terrible.  Is that the standard we use now here?  It would seem that the accusations against Von Miller were pretty bad too! 

Von plays a premium position and has an un-cuttable contract. I'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but life isn't fair. Punters get zero benefit of the doubt, edge rushers get all of the benefit of the doubt. That general concept applies everywhere in life, not just the NFL. Genuinely I feel for Araiza and what he went through but the Bills aren't to blame. They made the only choice available to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How long did that case drag on before he was exonerated? And why didn’t anyone sign him right after we cut him or even shortly thereafter? Distraction is an understatement. The league and every team in it had to wait for the issue to be settled. The Bills could have made him an offer like KC did, but I’ve come to learn that Araiza may not have been entirely forthcoming with the team at the time all this came to light, so it’s understandable that they would just wish him best of luck elsewhere. 

Entirely forthcoming about what?  Something he didn't do?  What should he have told them "As a college student I attended a party where a woman didn't get gang raped"?  I'd expect most players they draft could say the same thing.