Matt Araiza

SCBills

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Correct take. By taking the "believe all women" stance, the Bills showed their lack of spine.

Good for araiza giving the franchise the middle finger.

The whole episode absolutely sucked but letting the mob make the decision in the media rather than seeing it play through was very much a cowardly move, or at least a cynically calculated move that ended up backfiring on us.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, AZSanta said:

Watching Matt Araiza boom 70 yd punts on a consistent basis, while hollow leg Martin "Mr Shank" himself is still allowed to punt for this team is beyond frustrating. We now have to watch Mahommes win multiple Super Bowls and eliminate us from the playoffs every year. If Xavier Worthy is the next Tyreek Hill we seriously have to question if this team, this city has a voodoo curse on it. Why the hell did Beane not sign Araiza after he was absolved of any wrong doing? You waste a draft pick on the guy and he is available to you and you ignore the chance to sign him. I bet any money Coach MCD had a say in it because of his Christian background and the "Culture" he wants to preserve. If players can help you win games you have to have them on the team. Field position is a huge factor in the game and Araiza is a weapon to have on the team. I love Josh Allen and I am not saying this to be negative towards him but why do we have to help  KC look so good every year. Bill's Mafia we are living in a nightmare.

First of all... Mahomes being a HOF QB and being tough to beat is really... the "voodoo curse".  I don't think anyone cares about the punter, or the WR.  If the WR is good it'll likely be Mahomes and Reid driven.  

As for getting rid of Araiza - it was all in the news, way worse PR than the butker situation for example, and he hadn't ever played so it was fairly easy to cut bait.  Every article for a week was BUFFALO BILLS PUNTER.  When it switched to FORMER BUFFALO BILLS PUNTER, it became non-news after he left the team.  If he was on the team it would have potentially lingered all season.  For a team with playoff and super bowl aspirations, the PUNTER cannot be a distraction.   

Side note: Why would Araiza want to return here after he was released?  Buffalo is... an acquired taste.  Who knows if we called, but i'd assume we were among the lower potential destinations and certainly lower than KC.  

You also say we should have drafted Worthy based off of a TD in a preseason game against detroits backup defense.  Speed isn't everything, and end of the day they judged coleman to be a better fit or football player or both.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Not sure Araiza would even want to come back to the Bills after they surrendered to the mob and threw him under the bus. I know I wouldn't!

To address the rest of the post, given the vast talent gradient between coaching staffs, i'm not sure a few players make any difference one way or another.

You may be right on that, however you know what he can do so you give him a nice contract offer to make up for the mistake of letting him go. It’s the right thing to do and we have a great punter for the next 10 years. The decision making by this team is baffling at times 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The whole episode absolutely sucked but letting the mob make the decision in the media rather than seeing it play through was very much a cowardly move, or at least a cynically calculated move that ended up backfiring on us.

It's a punter.  You don't need to "stand by him"... its not even a real football player, he never even played a down, and the nature of the alleged crime was pretty bad.  

Don't know what he did, don't really care.  The punter shouldn't be in the news ever unless its for something that happened on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Correct take. By taking the "believe all women" stance, the Bills showed their lack of spine.

Good for araiza giving the franchise the middle finger.

Literally in this day and age there was no way to handle this other than releasing him.  That was the perfect storm of a year with all that went on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We don't know everything that happened behind the scenes.  The Bills were being beat up by pretty much everybody at the height of the Araiza controversy.  I think they didn't have much choice about releasing Araiza.  Fast forward to him being exonerated: We don't know if Beane reached out to Araiza's agent or not.  

I have not been a fan of Sam Martin.  I think he's over priced and his punting last season was below average.  In his favor though, he's been solid in training camp and in the preseason so far.  The Bills are stuck with his contract.  There is no financial incentive to cut him. I think that if his punting goes downhill during the season, the Bills will probably bring in another punter.  I don't expect Sam Martin will be here in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

OP earned an extra .5 point from me for nailing the lack of paragraph breaks.

I didn’t realize we are still in high school getting graded on our posts. Carry on 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

He's a punter. If it was another position yes but no media nightmare like that is worth it for a punter. I advocated for cutting him then and I'm not going to retrospectively criticize McD and Beane now. They've made far worse decisions than cutting a punter.

2 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Literally in this day and age there was no way to handle this other than releasing him.  That was the perfect storm of a year with all that went on.

They had a chance to make it right and sign him. That is my point. 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It's a punter.  You don't need to "stand by him"... its not even a real football player, he never even played a down, and the nature of the alleged crime was pretty bad.  

Don't know what he did, don't really care.  The punter shouldn't be in the news ever unless its for something that happened on the field.  

Oh, so, 'guilty due to the severity of the charge'?  Is that the standard?  So if some person accuses Josh Allen of something terrible, we should cut ties as soon as possible to protect the brand?

The worst part about all this is that the people who ended up being 100% right at the time got shouted down here like they themselves were criminals.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, AZSanta said:

They had a chance to make it right and sign him. That is my point. 

And he had a choice to tell us to pound sand.  His agent's job is to float his name out there and generate interest.  When Townsend left, his agent called KC and said lets make a deal he just wants a chance to play.