Matt Araiza

SCBills

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Yes, bad things happen. How one responds to those things whether they are right or fair says a lot about who they are.. Araiza chose how he handled it. Blaming the Bills because they let him go after that is silly. It's also pretty rare that the most "talented" team wins. There's a lot that goes into building a team and having a rookie punter who chose himself over a team that was considered one of the Superbowl favorites seems like a bad way to go about winning.

There were many good ways he could have handled it with the Bills before and after being drafted. He chose none of those.

This is a fair assessment and I’m not even mad about this take. I get it, Matt didn’t go about the moral route. However as a human being that realizes that humans are imperfect and life is complex. I totally understand where Matt was coming from, and I believe the Bills organization overreacted and succumbed to the court of public opinion. Society is supposed to be about innocent until proven guilty in the court of law, and people shouldn’t jump to conclusions or cancel someone’s career until everything has played out. 

For those down playing this and thinking having a quality punter doesn't matter.  We were one win against the backup Steelers away from making the playoffs the 12 seasons Brian Moorman was here.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

For those down playing this and thinking having a quality punter doesn't matter.  We were one win against the backup Steelers away from making the playoffs the 12 seasons Brian Moorman was here.

This is why the Bills are the Bills and the Chiefs are the Chiefs. The Chiefs don’t care about the court of public opinions, they just want to win. And they do. That is what it takes to win. 

Just now, Milanos Milano said:

This is why the Bills are the Bills and the Chiefs are the Chiefs. The Chiefs don’t care about the court of public opinions, they just want to win. And they do. That is what it takes to win. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Milanos Milano said:

This is different than Araiza’s situation, which the Chiefs understand that, and the Bills don’t. Which is why the Chiefs win and the Bills don’t. 

Your right.  Hunt was way more valuable to them than Araiza was to us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Your right.  Hunt was way more valuable to them than Araiza was to us.

It has nothing to do with who is more valuable. The Chiefs understood that Hunt had physical evidence against him and acted accordingly. The Bills acted on hearsay and public pitchforks. It’s why the Chiefs are more successful because they understand what it takes to win. So the Chiefs are going to make us look like fools now with the signing of Matt. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

It has nothing to do with who is more valuable. The Chiefs understood that Hunt had physical evidence against him and acted accordingly. The Bills acted on hearsay and public pitchforks. It’s why the Chiefs are more successful because they understand what it takes to win. So the Chiefs are going to make us look like fools now with the signing of Matt. 

You're pry right.  I always thought this team was one punter away from getting over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're pry right.  I always thought this team was one punter away from getting over the hump.

A Super Bowl winning team is a sum of all parts. Please tell me how the Chiefs getting one of the best talented punters and the Bills not having one is going to help us beat an already multi Super Bowl winning team? 

2 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

A Super Bowl winning team is a sum of all parts. Please tell me how the Chiefs getting one of the best talented punters and the Bills not having one is going to help us beat an already multi Super Bowl winning team? 

One of the most talented punters?  He hasn't punted the ball yet in an NFL game.  Hang time and accuracy were major question marks coming out of college for Araiza.  Just for reference:

Matt Araiza had a net punt average of 44.2 yards at San Diego State.

Jack Browning (the guy we just signed) had a net punt average of 45.8 yards at San Diego State.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, CSBill said:

He should be a Bill.

The Bills should have brought him back once the charges were dropped.

But maybe they tried, and he did not want to return. ????

They cut him because he didn't tell them. If he had told them (and they still drafted him or he told them after he was drafted), they would have put out a statement as early as possible and likely tried to get him on the exempt list or something.  Instead, he opted to not to tell them that there was an open criminal investigation for whatever reason.

The Bills were supposed to bring a rookie punter back who let them be blindsided on the cusp of a season where they were one of the top superbowl contenders? This was no innocent "oopsie" I forgot. He chose not to tell the Bills.

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2024 at 12:40 PM, Gugny said:

Yes, because every great college player goes on to become a great NFL player. 

There’s really no difference in talent level between teams San Diego State played and teams that the Chiefs will play.

Thanks for reminding me how straight forward it is. 

Absolutely, the nfl teams will certainly change his punting ability.  This isn't nearly as hard as you are attempting to make it.  I know your shtick but just be better here.  Common sense can be common again.  

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

in his life, he was a punter for one season.  had some long punts on a team with a pretty mediocre Offense that had more punts than all but 2 other teams.  broke some college records.  

yeah, big leg.  so what?  the previous Punt God from only 3 years previous (Brandon Mann) was also unanimous  All American, Ray Guy winner who had the average yards per punt record which Araiza beat by 8 inches. 

yet Araiza was inexplicably the 3rd Punter drafted. 

Mike Stonehouse, career leader in NCAA yards per punt,  may have had similar long punt #'s had he punted even close to as many times as Araiza.  

You started with, “wow” and I dropped a handful of stats supporting his case as “one of the most talented punting prospects ever.” It’s really not up for debate. What he accomplished in his short time is unmatched. You diminishing the stats to support your unwarranted surprise at how dominant he was. Just say, “I didn’t realize that he was that great” and move on.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2024 at 9:35 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

At the time the allegations against Araiza came to light, I made the suggestion (here) that the Bills place him on administrative leave.

I was roasted for that take.

His situation would’ve been a distraction, coming off how Beasley was with his antivaccine BS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm glad for Araiza, I always felt like he was bum rushed out of the league by social media and public pressure.  The Bills had no choice in that moment to do what they did.  I said it at the time.

It's just annoying that the KC Chiefs have impunity when it comes to signing players with sketchy backgrounds (not involving Araiza).  Rashee Rice is the lastest problem child...we all know Tyreek Hill's history and they have had some other lesser known players on their SB teams that have not been the highest character.  Yet somehow the football gods still reward them.  Oh well.  As Beane said in one presser leading up to the draft, you want high character guys but the team can't be all choir boys.

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You started with, “wow” and I dropped a handful of stats supporting his case as “one of the most talented punting prospects ever.” It’s really not up for debate. What he accomplished in his short time is unmatched. You diminishing the stats to support your unwarranted surprise at how dominant he was. Just say, “I didn’t realize that he was that great” and move on.

I have to say, that made me chuckle, so thank you for that.

But anyway, my surprise is your fabrication.  He had a great season, for a Punter.  I compared him to another guy who is actually the NCAA career yards per leader and who had similar metrics to Araiza, other than Araiza's team's Offense was based on Punting it seems, so he got far more reps than any other Punter. Had  Stonehouse kicked 21 more punts, Araiza by comparison may not have stood out, in the same year, as much. You missed that or just left it out. 

As a prospect, the league passed on him until the the 6th.  SD State was so impressed that they made him their placekicker, not Punter, for 2 his first 2 seasons.  Big leg though...

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I wish the people who have made Araiza out to be some kind of folk hero were capable of embarrassment.  

Can you image this place if the Chiefs had drafted him initially?  The glee and derision would be off the charts.  No one would have been towing the "innocent until proven guilty line".

Now that their folk hero, who they have wept for while holding a torch for him for 2 years is gone to the team of "criminals" (as they love to point out).  This does not compute!!!!!----Watching their collective heads explode over this turn of events has been a delight.