Matt Araiza

SCBills

39 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly I don't think it was the bills. The fans were screaming for his head. This is the unfortunate part of cancel culture. What in wish is there was a way for the bills to have owned the rights to his contract while the whole thing played out 

If there was ever a time for the commissioners exempt list…

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, I said what I said. FWIW, that’s not a crazy take. He literally broke records supporting that take. 

in his life, he was a punter for one season.  had some long punts on a team with a pretty mediocre Offense that had more punts than all but 2 other teams.  broke some college records.  

yeah, big leg.  so what?  the previous Punt God from only 3 years previous (Brandon Mann) was also unanimous  All American, Ray Guy winner who had the average yards per punt record which Araiza beat by 8 inches. 

yet Araiza was inexplicably the 3rd Punter drafted. 

Mike Stonehouse, career leader in NCAA yards per punt,  may have had similar long punt #'s had he punted even close to as many times as Araiza.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 6/15/2024 at 12:12 PM, JROC INTEL said:

Big mistake by the bills by not having him back. He’s a weapon. 

He was never coming back to the Bills after the shabby treatment they gave him when he was accused.  No presumption of innocence by the Bills.  Perhaps the worst treatment I have seen the Bills give a player in memory.  (and I have been around a long time)  This is a reflection on those decisions by Bean, McD and undoubtedly the Pegs as well. Who knows, the NFL might have even pressured the decision.  Anyhow, no spine or principles on display by the Bills administration in this case.

Good luck Matt Ariza.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

He was never coming back to the Bills after the shabby treatment they gave him when he was accused.  No presumption of innocence by the Bills.  Perhaps the worst treatment I have seen the Bills give a player in memory.  (and I have been around a long time)  This is a reflection on those decisions by Bean, McD and undoubtedly the Pegs as well. Who knows, the NFL might have even pressured the decision.  Anyhow, no spine or principles on display by the Bills administration in this case.

Good luck Matt Ariza.

It’s honestly a reflection as to why we haven’t won a Super Bowl. All words and no spine when it counts. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

I tend to think our hand was forced. Realpolitik. It's a shame he's a Chief. 

No. We had choices. Stand by our motto of one Buffalo one family. You can’t bail on someone until proven guilty. That’s not what a family does. 

Edited by Milanos Milano
  • Eyeroll 1

On 6/15/2024 at 12:58 PM, Doc said:

He won the Bills' punting job.  And then that lawyer/girl decided to derail his career.

The Bills did not need to cut him because of an accusation by a random girl and a scumbag lawyer..  But the "character police" overreacted and did not wait to see how it played out.  The blame is squarely on the Bills for this one. They let themselves get caught up in the whole meetoo thing.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

The Bills did not need to cut him because of an accusation by a random girl and a scumbag lawyer..  But the "character police" overreacted and did not wait to see how it played out.  The blame is squarely on the Bills for this one. They let themselves get caught up in the whole meetoo thing.

It wasn't just an accusation.  He admitted to having sex with her.  And without further investigation, they didn't know if he had anything to do with what went on inside.  They did what they had to given the scumbag lawyer decided to wait until right before the season started.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

No. We had choices. Stand by our motto of one Buffalo one family. You can’t bail on someone until proven guilty. That’s not what a family does. 

You're aware Milano didn't tell them that about it and that his agent lied about it.. right? Is that 'what' family does?

1 minute ago, Milanos Milano said:

What is he to tell them? Some crazy chick might slander my good name? 

"I have an open criminal investigation that's ongoing and expect a civil suit at it's conclusion."

The Bills, if they still drafted him, likely would have gotten out ahead of it right after the draft and not have been surprised right before the season was starting.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

"I have an open criminal investigation that's ongoing and expect a civil suit at it's conclusion."

The Bills, if they still drafted him, likely would have gotten out ahead of it right after the draft and not have been surprised right before the season was starting.

The Bills are a professional organization that has resources beyond anything we will ever have access to. It’s not the players responsibility to mention potentially frivolous lawsuits. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Milanos Milano said:

The Bills are a professional organization that has resources beyond anything we will ever have access to. It’s not the players responsibility to mention potentially frivolous lawsuits. 

what.. that's insane. Your argument is that players can omit whatever they want and lie because the Bills have investigators?

It was an active criminal proceeding at that time. Regardless of what merit the person being investigated thinks it has.. it absolutely should be told to the team.

Eschewing your own personal responsibility because someone else could potentially find out is something I'd consider a major character flaw.

Edited by Malazan

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

what.. that's insane. Your argument is that players can omit whatever they want and lie because the Bills have investigators?

Where did I say they can lie? Unless he was asked point blank do you have any legal issues that we should be aware of, I don’t see the issue. At the time of the draft, Matt had no legally charged issues. Investigations are all hearsay until proven in court, he shouldn’t be liable for such. There is no point in mentioning you are under investigation, because it’s hearsay. 

6 minutes ago, Malazan said:

It was an active criminal proceeding at that time. Regardless of what merit the person being investigated thinks it has.. it absolutely should be told to the team.

Eschewing your own personal responsibility because someone else could potentially find out is something I'd consider a major character flaw.

Because society is out of control and tries to try you in the court of public opinion. Which is flat out ridiculous. 

Edited by Milanos Milano
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Where did I say they can lie? Unless he was asked point blank do you have any legal issues that we should be aware of, I don’t see the issue. At the time of the draft, Matt had no legally charged issues. Investigations are all hearsay until proven in court, he shouldn’t be liable for such. 

The teams ask players if they have legal issues, backgrounds, choices, lifetsyles, etc. They run checks for misdemeanors and felonies. There is no way that Araiza and his agent were unaware they should mention an active, open criminal investigation.

Not to mention, it's stupid. The team that drafted him would have had their PR team put out a statement... at the very least just not been blindsided by it.

Personally, too many people these days take no responsibility for themselves and a player who would take the stance that because the Bills could have possibly found out that it wasn't his responsibility to tell them is absolute scum. I wouldn't want them around my team or myself.

Edited by Malazan

The teams ask players if they have legal issues, backgrounds, choices, lifetsyles, etc. They run checks for misdemeanors and felonies. There is no way that Araiza and his agent were unaware they should mention an active, open criminal investigation.

Not to mention, it's stupid. The team that drafted him would have had their PR team put out a statement... at the very least just not been blindsided by it.

Personally, too many people these days take no responsibility for themselves and a player who would take the stance that because the Bills could have possibly found out that it wasn't his responsibility to tell them is absolutely scum. I'd wouldn't want them around my team or myself.

What if you were a punter about to be drafted and you knew what was going on was total BS. Would you have told the Bills? Probably not because you would realize that teams would blow it out of proportion and not draft you, especially in today’s guilty until proven innocent which is BS. 

Just now, Milanos Milano said:

What if you were a punter about to be drafted and you knew what was going on was total BS. Would you have told the Bills? Probably not because you would realize that teams would blow it out of proportion and not draft you, especially in today’s guilty until proven innocent which is BS. 

I would absolutely tell them because I am not a piece of scum. I have personal responsibility. I know what the expectations are of me and would fulfill those. That's something important to me. Clearly not important to some players and their agents though.

I also have a working brain and know it would get out and the team isn't going to appreciate being blindsided by it. He could also have told them after he was drafted. Or at any point prior to the lawsuit being filed which left the timing totally in the hands of the plaintiff's attorney.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

It wasn't just an accusation.  He admitted to having sex with her.  And without further investigation, they didn't know if he had anything to do with what went on inside.  They did what they had to given the scumbag lawyer decided to wait until right before the season started.

We’ve been over this a million times. Multiple witnesses have said she lied about her age which isn’t a crime in CA. 

I would absolutely tell them because I am not a piece of scum. I have personal responsibility. I know what the expectations are of me and would fulfill those. That's something important to me. Clearly not important to some players and their agents though.

I also have a working brain and know it would get out and the team isn't going to appreciate being blindsided by it. He could also have told them after he was drafted. Or at any point prior to the lawsuit being filed which left the timing totally in the hands of the plaintiff's attorney.

I’m not saying what he did was right, clearly the whole situation is disappointing. However I’m a grown adult and realize bad things happen, and unless they’ve been tried in court and officially proven, then life goes on. The goal for a football team should be to win and acquire top tier talent within legal windows, and not be a mid talent team of perfect people. 

13 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

We’ve been over this a million times. Multiple witnesses have said she lied about her age which isn’t a crime in CA. 

I’m not saying what he did was right, clearly the whole situation is disappointing. However I’m a grown adult and realize bad things happen, and unless they’ve been tried in court and officially proven, then life goes on. The goal for a football team should be to win and acquire top tier talent within legal windows, and not be a mid talent team of perfect people. 

Yes, bad things happen. How one responds to those things whether they are right or fair says a lot about who they are.. Araiza chose how he handled it. Blaming the Bills because they let him go after that is silly. It's also pretty rare that the most "talented" team wins. There's a lot that goes into building a team and having a rookie punter who chose himself over a team that was considered one of the Superbowl favorites seems like a bad way to go about winning.

There were many good ways he could have handled it with the Bills before and after being drafted. He chose none of those.

Edited by Malazan