Matt Araiza

SCBills

Worthy has speed for sure but I need to see him beat press coverage. If he gets pushed around then he isn't going to help them too much.

Punt God sucks but it was bad timing.

I'd be more mad about Mahomes of the Bills didn't have Allen. If we switched and had Mahomes and the Chiefs had Allen would we have a SB? Would the Chiefs have less? I'm not so sure.... the last two playoff games against each other Allen and Mahomes played at a standstill. I still think coaching is the difference between the Chiefs and Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I understand respect their decision to cut Araiza.

But I don’t see why you wrote /thread. 60% of punts inside the 20 is crazy good. That is significantly better than 3 yards of extra punt length.

I mean that stat kinda depends on where you are kicking it from.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

Oh, so, 'guilty due to the severity of the charge'?  Is that the standard?  So if some person accuses Josh Allen of something terrible, we should cut ties as soon as possible to protect the brand?

The worst part about all this is that the people who ended up being 100% right at the time got shouted down here like they themselves were criminals.

I think the level of distraction that he was causing, combined with the total limit of actual value he provides on the football team made it an easy decision.  

League average punter 42 net yards.  Sam martin 39.8. Across 51 punts that is 100ish yards of field position.  

Best punter in the nfl is 44.3.  Thats 229.5 yards of field position across the entire season.  

Martin had a In20% of 47.1% which was good for 4th in the league.  Only 5.9% of his punts were touchbacks which is pretty good too.  The bills in general had the 4th best average drive start defensively - With all the turnovers, punt return TD week 1, missed FGs, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's a punter. If it was another position yes but no media nightmare like that is worth it for a punter. I advocated for cutting him then and I'm not going to retrospectively criticize McD and Beane now. They've made far worse decisions than cutting a punter.

They had no choice but to cut him. Had he already played a single NFL game he could have gone on the commissioner's exempt list and the Bills could have long grassed it. That option doesn't exist so it was a choice between answer questions about whether your punter is a rapist every week for 12 months until it resolved itself or cut him. There unfortunately was no third way.

I think the mob rule, trial by social media trend is one of the most damaging elements of modern society and have said so many times on here. I had at the time and have now huge sympathy for Araiza and how it played out. Even if he had done it, even if he was guilty, he is entitled to have that determined by a court of law not a keyboard warrior pile on. That is the justice system. It is precious and we must defend it at all costs. 

But sadly once things went as they did the Bills had no option. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Right, he was accused of something terrible.  Is that the standard we use now here?  It would seem that the accusations against Von Miller were pretty bad too! 

In fact Betty Parris, Abigail Williams, Ann Putnam, and Elizabeth Hubbard made some dramatic accusations one time and 19 people ended up swinging on the end of a rope for it, but i guess we should just believe any accusation that's made lest we offend someone with our ridiculous notions of justice and due process!

The actual crux is that it happened before he was drafted so there isn't an exemption to keep him away from the team but still keep his contract.  

Its an NFL team.  The standard is different, and its a LOT different for punters.  It's a privilege to play in the league, and the individual teams cut players constantly.    

As for bringing up the salem witch trials... uhh that was like 100 years before America was even a thing.  Araiza spent no time in prison/jail, he made 216,148 dollars to never suit up for the Bills (the same as if he had just not made the team), and it played out in due process and he didn't pay her any money.  I don't get why it's the Bills job to stand by him in that scenario, especially if the rumor was that he hadn't disclosed everything to the team.  

• Like (+1) 2

While I (barely) understand the frustration by some fans at the Bills for cutting him early once the allegations came out....I think you lack critical thinking skills if you're still pounding the table that they "should have tried harder" to sign him once he was cleared of any wrong doing. As if the kid would even want to come back here. It's a weird hill to die on and I fear it's not football related why you'd be mad at the Bills still. 

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Right, he was accused of something terrible.  Is that the standard we use now here?  It would seem that the accusations against Von Miller were pretty bad too! 

In fact Betty Parris, Abigail Williams, Ann Putnam, and Elizabeth Hubbard made some dramatic accusations one time and 19 people ended up swinging on the end of a rope for it, but i guess we should just believe any accusation that's made lest we offend someone with our ridiculous notions of justice and due process!

Miller is a HOF player

MA is a punter

Fair or not they will be treated differently 

He got due process under the law. Not the same thing for NFL contracts 

I will agree though that the pendulum swung too far. For a long time rape victims underreported becuase they were the one that were put on trial especially if it was an accusation against a star athlete or other public figure.  Case in point - Cosby, Weinstein, and Epstein. Then it swung to immediate condemnation in the public of anyone accused - Duke Lacrosse.

I think over the last couple of years we are seeing more instances of taking a pause and letting the legal process run its course.

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean that stat kinda depends on where you are kicking it from.

Considering that their averages are within 6% of each other… they are kicking from about the same spot on the field.

49 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Not sure Araiza would even want to come back to the Bills after they surrendered to the mob and threw him under the bus. I know I wouldn't!

To address the rest of the post, given the vast talent gradient between coaching staffs, i'm not sure a few players make any difference one way or another.

No organization was going to allow the distraction of a rookie punter on a team with championship aspirations with such a serious charge. 

I also maintain the Bills did him a favor and let him focus on that, instead of trying to maintain his innocence while also focusing on his NFL career

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s not even punting all that well yet for KC. But I guess every single time he does have a great punt we’re going to re-litigate it here? Can’t wait to read the same 4 insufferable “experts” on criminal law.

There was no good option at the time. There was no “reserve” list to place him on. You really think the Bills would waste a roster spot on a 2nd punter who couldn’t play while his case played out? Right.

• Agree 1

Omg! I thought the days of people caring about a punter disappeared with Moorman. Those were some of the worst days as a Bills fan. Imagine crying about a punier when you have Josh Allen. 

also news flash, no team is going to keep a punter who is getting investigated for raping an underage girl. Now if Josh was in the same situation (he is a saint and would never be), guess who still has a roster spot??? Welcome to the world of double standards. 

Crying about punters is what teams with crappy qbs do. Not ones with Josh Allen. Turn the page. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

First of all... Mahomes being a HOF QB and being tough to beat is really... the "voodoo curse".  I don't think anyone cares about the punter, or the WR.  If the WR is good it'll likely be Mahomes and Reid driven.  

As for getting rid of Araiza - it was all in the news, way worse PR than the butker situation for example, and he hadn't ever played so it was fairly easy to cut bait.  Every article for a week was BUFFALO BILLS PUNTER.  When it switched to FORMER BUFFALO BILLS PUNTER, it became non-news after he left the team.  If he was on the team it would have potentially lingered all season.  For a team with playoff and super bowl aspirations, the PUNTER cannot be a distraction.   

Side note: Why would Araiza want to return here after he was released?  Buffalo is... an acquired taste.  Who knows if we called, but i'd assume we were among the lower potential destinations and certainly lower than KC.  

You also say we should have drafted Worthy based off of a TD in a preseason game against detroits backup defense.  Speed isn't everything, and end of the day they judged coleman to be a better fit or football player or both.  

You are correct about Mahommes. That is something we will regret for years maybe decades to come.  

I never said we should have drafted Worthy. I do not know how good is or will be. Based on our rotten luck and how things have gone with current history it would not surprise me at all if Worthy becalmed a hall famer.