Matt Araiza

SCBills

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

1. worst case scenario is that the Bills are eliminated in the playoffs by the Chiefs.  That has happened 3 of the past 4 seasons.

2. the Bills have not suffered those losses for lack of a "competent punter".  Their Punter last year was completely adequate.

3. if your fanbase is reduced to pining for Punting highlights, your Offense has very big problems.

posters who endlessly weep over this guy getting let go by the Bills are not making football arguments with their posts.  Again, had he been drafted by the Chiefs, these same posters would have been savaging the Chiefs for picking him.  And they know this---yet they pretend it isn't true.

3. if your fanbase is reduced to pining for Punting highlights, your Offense has very big problems.

.... I remember plenty of games Brian Moorman was our best player lol

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

And I remember when our punter was the most bored, underworked guy in the NFL.  Let's go back to that.  Who needs Punt God?  

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Games? It felt like seasons! It got him to the Pro Bowl, where he learned a major lesson in Keep Your Head On A Swivel.  😱

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

And I remember when our punter was the most bored, underworked guy in the NFL.  Let's go back to that.  Who needs Punt God?  

I liked the Maytag Repairman kind of punter, but a kicker getting worn out making PAT’s.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not really facing charges.  The young woman's lawyer was on TV saying things that weren't accurate.  I got the impression, if I recall events correctly, that the DA was never even tempted to bring charges because none of the witnesses corroborated her version of events.    

I meant and should have said allegations.  And your recollection is correct.  There wasn't a single person to back up her claims and on the contrary there were several people and videos that contradicted them.

And no one should be making him out to be a hero.  He was wrongly accused and was able to clear his name and resume his NFL career.  Good for him in that regard but I don't wish him luck in his NFL career.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have to say, that made me chuckle, so thank you for that.

But anyway, my surprise is your fabrication.  He had a great season, for a Punter.  I compared him to another guy who is actually the NCAA career yards per leader and who had similar metrics to Araiza, other than Araiza's team's Offense was based on Punting it seems, so he got far more reps than any other Punter. Had  Stonehouse kicked 21 more punts, Araiza by comparison may not have stood out, in the same year, as much. You missed that or just left it out. 

As a prospect, the league passed on him until the the 6th.  SD State was so impressed that they made him their placekicker, not Punter, for 2 his first 2 seasons.  Big leg though...

Can you image this place if the Chiefs had drafted him initially?  The glee and derision would be off the charts.  No one would have been towing the "innocent until proven guilty line".

Now that their folk hero, who they have wept for while holding a torch for him for 2 years is gone to the team of "criminals" (as they love to point out).  This does not compute!!!!!----Watching their collective heads explode over this turn of events has been a delight.

I said that he is ARGUABLY the best punting prospect ever. Debate that. His numbers, with a limited sample size, stack up with anyone ever. You’re assertion is that he isn’t in the conversation. That’s false. The numbers say otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

It’s just so Billsy. Watch. We will play the Chiefs in the playoffs, and the Bills make a critical 3rd down stop on the Chiefs 30 yard line in the 4th quarter and Araiza absolutely nukes one down the sideline and it bounces at the 10 and rolls out of bounds at the 3 yard line. Bills go conservative and rush and get stuffed at the 1 for a loss of 2. It’s now 2nd and 12 and the new Center muffs the exchange and Allen falls on it for a safety. 

Yeh that’s this franchise in a nutshell 

On 6/16/2024 at 3:45 PM, Doc said:

It wasn't just an accusation.  He admitted to having sex with her.  And without further investigation, they didn't know if he had anything to do with what went on inside.  They did what they had to given the scumbag lawyer decided to wait until right before the season started.

But you see it was just an accusation.  Having sex with her is not a crime!  The Bills should have found out the facts THEN reacted.  Instead of ready-fire-aim like they did. They absolutely did NOT need to [over]react that way at that time.   You may have heard of innocent until proven guilty ... though in society these days it sure seems to be guilty until proven innocent like in this case.

Edited by CodeMonkey

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

But you see it was just an accusation.  Having sex with her is not a crime!  The Bills should have found out the facts THEN reacted.  Instead of ready-fire-aim like they did. They absolutely did NOT need to [over]react that way at that time.   You may have heard of innocent until proven guilty ... though in society these days it sure seems to be guilty until proven innocent like in this case.

He admitted to having sex with her and she was 17 at the time, which in California (but not in 40 other states) is a crime.  It's no longer an accusation if it's proven/agreed upon to have happened.  What was in question was whether she portrayed herself to be of legal age, which is an acceptable defense in California.  Now on the face of it, it's absurd to think that a high schooler would bother going to a college party and then tell people he/she is 17, but you need to prove that it didn't happen and that takes time.  Given the reaction, not only by the public but by several players on the Bills, the Bills couldn't afford to keep him on the team.

Edited by Doc

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

He admitted to having sex with her and she was 17 at the time, which in California (but not in 40 other states) is a crime.  It's no longer an accusation if it's proven/agreed upon to have happened.  What was in question was whether she portrayed herself to be of legal age, which is an acceptable defense in California.  Now on the face of it, it's absurd to think that a high schooler would bother going to a college party and then tell people he/she is 17, but you need to prove that it didn't happen and that takes time.  Given the reaction, not only by the public but by several players on the Bills, the Bills couldn't afford to keep him on the team.

I respect your opinion. But disagree 100% with the bolded bit.  IMO employers, and that includes the Buffalo Bills, at the very least need to respect their employees enough to at a minimum honor innocent until proven guilty.

And that feeling extends well beyond the Bills.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

I respect your opinion. But disagree 100% with the bolded bit.  IMO employers, and that includes the Buffalo Bills, at the very least need to respect their employees enough to at a minimum honor innocent until proven guilty.

And that feeling extends well beyond the Bills.

If Araiza knew this was an ongoing issue and never told them (which might have made them think twice about drafting him), then they didn't owe him anything.  That part I don't know. 

• Like (+1) 1