Matt Araiza

SCBills

16 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

It has nothing to do with who is more valuable. The Chiefs understood that Hunt had physical evidence against him and acted accordingly. The Bills acted on hearsay and public pitchforks. It’s why the Chiefs are more successful because they understand what it takes to win. So the Chiefs are going to make us look like fools now with the signing of Matt. 

Dude has been on his couch for 2 years.  How does this make Buffalo look like fools and not the entire nfl that also allowed him to sit on his couch?

There’s something wrong with my feed.   I can’t find any two year torch carrying or head exploding posts.

I believe the volume on this site would decrease by half if creating a view expressed by no one in order to oppose and deride the view was outlawed.

Matt Araiza is an intriguing talent at a position of need for the Buffalo Bills signed by our arch rival, Kansas City.  He is in the unfortunate position, like every other NFL player, ever, of not having played his first NFL game before he played his first NFL game.  Other players who took this path to the league include Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, Bronco Nagurski and Red Grange.  Oh, and Erik Flowers.

With that said, all you posters claiming it’s OK to bludgeon baby seals with clubs are heartless sons of guns.

Edited by Neo

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

There’s something wrong with my feed.   I can’t find any two year torch carrying or head exploding posts.

I believe the volume on this site would decrease by half if creating a view expressed by no one in order to oppose and deride the view was outlawed.

Matt Araiza is an intriguing talent at a position of need for the Buffalo Bills signed by our arch rival, Kansas City.  He is in the unfortunate position, like every other NFL player, ever, of not having played his first NFL game before he played his first NFL game.  Other players who took this path to the league include Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, Bronco Nagurski and Red Grange.  Oh, and Erik Flowers.

With that said, all you posters claiming it’s OK to bludgeon baby seals with clubs are heartless sons of guns.

Does your search engine go back 2 years? 

Anyway, Punter is no team's position of need (unless you are a very bad Offensive team.  The Bills haven't suffered these past 2 post seasons  for lack of a better Punter. The Chiefs aren't better with a better Punter.  

Good to see him succeed. I'll always be rooting for him - had a good friend in medical school almost kicked out over false sexual assault allegations (I was with him on the night in question). If the charges don't near ruin your life, the legal fees will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hmmm... didn't the lawsuit get dropped, the authorities failed to raise criminal charges, and the accuser's story fall apart? I guess even without the charges, the fact that he admitted to having sex with her against the side of the house at a party must have been proof enough that he was a culture fit for the Chiefs... 🤷‍♀️

14 hours ago, Malazan said:

They cut him because he didn't tell them. If he had told them (and they still drafted him or he told them after he was drafted), they would have put out a statement as early as possible and likely tried to get him on the exempt list or something.  Instead, he opted to not to tell them that there was an open criminal investigation for whatever reason.

The Bills were supposed to bring a rookie punter back who let them be blindsided on the cusp of a season where they were one of the top superbowl contenders? This was no innocent "oopsie" I forgot. He chose not to tell the Bills.

I got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

But the one question I have always had about this situation, with the depth of research and digging into a draft prospect's past (remember the racial slur from Josh Allen when he was, like, 16?) is how could the Bills have not known something was up or happened at SD St.? The school had investigated it. I find it hard to believe they were really "blindsided" when it came out. They may have been quite embarrassed and chagrin, but blindsided???? I doubt it.

19 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

It has nothing to do with who is more valuable. The Chiefs understood that Hunt had physical evidence against him and acted accordingly. The Bills acted on hearsay and public pitchforks. It’s why the Chiefs are more successful because they understand what it takes to win. So the Chiefs are going to make us look like fools now with the signing of Matt. 

lol yes...YES!!

THIS is how the Chiefs are going to make the Bills look like fools.

lol---I love this place!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol yes...YES!!

lol---I love this place!

Worst case scenario Ariza is an All-Pro punter and the Bills have a decent to below average punter. The top punters in the league usually have a net punting average of 44-45 yards while your average punter has 42-43. That 2-3 yards per net punt is not insignificant but also not likely to be the difference in how each teams season turns out either. 

I think what fans fear is Ariza having those highlight reel 60+ yard punts and the Bills just having a competent regular punter. But as others have pointed out on the flip side Ariza wasn't even the top punter selected in his draft. His net punting average in college was lower than the guy who came after him and is the current Bills punter. The scouting report on him was that despite having an insanely strong leg he doesn't do a great job of pinning teams in deep which cuts down on his effectiveness as pretty much if you are punting from your own 30ish yardline and beyond (which is where about half of all punts take place) then having a player whose very likely to kick touchback of have too low a punt is going to cut down on net yards. 

15 hours ago, Malazan said:

They cut him because he didn't tell them. If he had told them (and they still drafted him or he told them after he was drafted), they would have put out a statement as early as possible and likely tried to get him on the exempt list or something. 

I thought the Bills said they knew about it before drafting him and looked into it?

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I thought the Bills said they knew about it before drafting him and looked into it?

59 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

But the one question I have always had about this situation, with the depth of research and digging into a draft prospect's past (remember the racial slur from Josh Allen when he was, like, 16?) is how could the Bills have not known something was up or happened at SD St.? The school had investigated it. I find it hard to believe they were really "blindsided" when it came out. They may have been quite embarrassed and chagrin, but blindsided???? I doubt it.

The Bills statement from August 25th: We were recently made aware of a civil complaint involving Matt from October 2021. Due to the serious nature of the complaint, we conducted a thorough examination of this matter. As this is an ongoing civil case legal, we will have no other comment at this point.

There's a lot of draft prospects. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that they do a lot more digging on a potential franchise QB being drafted in the top 10 then they do on a late round punter.

• Agree 1

Bills messed this one up badly. People where trying to make an issue out of Josh’s tweets when he was like 13 years old about rap lyrics and tv shows the

Bills looked into it and found out it was harmless and that worked out just fine.

In this case The Bills believed the accuser and didn’t give Matt the chance to prove his innocence in a case that fell apart so fast it wasn’t even funny. Now we have to watch a future multi time pro bowl punter go and kick for a team that literally haunts this franchise. That’s life as a Bills fan. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

A few thoughts on this topic:

• Arazia is a talented punter, or the Bills would not have spent a draft pick on him
  • Given the situation, the Bills made a difficult decision to release him, but it was the best thing for the team at the time
  • Good for the kid that he was cleared and is getting another shot in the NFL
  • Given the past situation, it was highly unlikely that he'd come back to the Bills, even if they tried to sign him
  • He likely signed with the Chiefs because they are the 3-time Super Bowl Champs, not because they've done well against the Bills in the playoffs
  • If the Chiefs beat the Bills again in the playoffs this season, it's not likely going to be because of their punter
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bills messed this one up badly. People where trying to make an issue out of Josh’s tweets when he was like 13 years old about rap lyrics and tv shows the

Bills looked into it and found out it was harmless and that worked out just fine.

In this case The Bills believed the accuser and didn’t give Matt the chance to prove his innocence in a case that fell apart so fast it wasn’t even funny. Now we have to watch a future multi time pro bowl punter go and kick for a team that literally haunts this franchise. That’s life as a Bills fan. 

It’s just so Billsy. Watch. We will play the Chiefs in the playoffs, and the Bills make a critical 3rd down stop on the Chiefs 30 yard line in the 4th quarter and Araiza absolutely nukes one down the sideline and it bounces at the 10 and rolls out of bounds at the 3 yard line. Bills go conservative and rush and get stuffed at the 1 for a loss of 2. It’s now 2nd and 12 and the new Center muffs the exchange and Allen falls on it for a safety. 

Edited by Milanos Milano
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol yes...YES!!

lol---I love this place!

I don't know what I would do with myself if the Chiefs made the Bills look foolish. I can't even imagine what that would feel like especially were it to happen in a pivotal moment like late in a playoff game.  I would be utterly devastated.  Lets pray the day never comes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:35 PM, Doc said:

Even though I supported him from the moment the truth started coming out, I can't object to the way the Bills and NFL handled it.  They're under no obligation to employ, much less pay almost $1M to, a guy who is facing serious charges, much less a guy who has never played in a real NFL game before, much much less a guy who is just a punter.  It sucks for Araiza and for the Bills losing possibly a promising player, but it is what it is.

Not really facing charges.  The young woman's lawyer was on TV saying things that weren't accurate.  I got the impression, if I recall events correctly, that the DA was never even tempted to bring charges because none of the witnesses corroborated her version of events.    

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Worst case scenario Ariza is an All-Pro punter and the Bills have a decent to below average punter. The top punters in the league usually have a net punting average of 44-45 yards while your average punter has 42-43. That 2-3 yards per net punt is not insignificant but also not likely to be the difference in how each teams season turns out either. 

I think what fans fear is Ariza having those highlight reel 60+ yard punts and the Bills just having a competent regular punter. But as others have pointed out on the flip side Ariza wasn't even the top punter selected in his draft. His net punting average in college was lower than the guy who came after him and is the current Bills punter. The scouting report on him was that despite having an insanely strong leg he doesn't do a great job of pinning teams in deep which cuts down on his effectiveness as pretty much if you are punting from your own 30ish yardline and beyond (which is where about half of all punts take place) then having a player whose very likely to kick touchback of have too low a punt is going to cut down on net yards. 

1. worst case scenario is that the Bills are eliminated in the playoffs by the Chiefs.  That has happened 3 of the past 4 seasons.

2. the Bills have not suffered those losses for lack of a "competent punter".  Their Punter last year was completely adequate.

3. if your fanbase is reduced to pining for Punting highlights, your Offense has very big problems.

posters who endlessly weep over this guy getting let go by the Bills are not making football arguments with their posts.  Again, had he been drafted by the Chiefs, these same posters would have been savaging the Chiefs for picking him.  And they know this---yet they pretend it isn't true.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

A few thoughts on this topic:

• Arazia is a talented punter, or the Bills would not have spent a draft pick on him
  • Given the situation, the Bills made a difficult decision to release him, but it was the best thing for the team at the time
  • Good for the kid that he was cleared and is getting another shot in the NFL
  • Given the past situation, it was highly unlikely that he'd come back to the Bills, even if they tried to sign him
  • He likely signed with the Chiefs because they are the 3-time Super Bowl Champs, not because they've done well against the Bills in the playoffs
  • If the Chiefs beat the Bills again in the playoffs this season, it's not likely going to be because of their punter

spot on