Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t follow too closely but I think McKinley has already been approved for a “city center” like they are planning for the Boulevard Mall, and the Eastern Hills mall areas. I 100% expect there to be a new hotel on that site. But I also believe something will be in place closer to the stadium with some shops, bars, restaurants. It’s pointless to not capitalize on the opportunity of the new stadium there. The Bills and town don’t make money from drunken idiots chugging Natty Ices behind their cars, they will want something more out of it. 

Eastern Hills Mall kicked all of the customers out except those with outside entrances

https://wyrk.com/eastern-hills-evict-immediately/

https://www.wgrz.com/video/news/local/eastern-hills-mall-tenants-receive-termination-letters/71-1650e364-ff76-49bf-9fd1-43bb31d90863

4 minutes ago, Saxum said:

Fond memories of working in that mall as a teenager. Bought my first pound in an interior hallway at that mall.
Good times. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Here's a question for the really old timers.  What was around the stadium area, before it was built?  I'm thinking of Danny's South, Prohibition, O'Neills, Big Tree.  Were they there before the current stadium was built, under different names, or after?  

As I understand it downtown was going to cost more and take up to two years more to go through the process of buying properties paying for them and then knocking them down. A lid on the place was another Billion. So you finally have a new stadium two years latter that somebody has to pay 2b for. Think prices are high now, watch think double.

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Fond memories of working in that mall as a teenager. Bought my first pound in an interior hallway at that mall.
Good times. 

Was that a pound of incense from Spencer’s? With that and the black lights……whooooo

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Spencers had some risqué items!

They still push the edge! I walked in there while getting my wife’s watch battery changed. It felt all nostalgic going in, it has that feel. I immediately realized it was NOT appropriate to take any grandkid who could read. It’s gotten raunchy. 

What was edgy then only had so far to go before it was TOO far. I mean, how far can you push it in a retail mall. The world is a very different place. 

Edited by Augie

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

They still push the edge! I walked in there while getting my wife’s watch battery changed. It felt all nostalgic going in, it has that feel. I immediately realized it was NOT appropriate to take any grandkid who could read. It’s gotten raunchy. 

What was edgy then only had so far to go before it was TOO far. I mean, how far can you push it in a retail mall. The world is a very different place. 

Sadly, this is true 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Can you imagine the PSL cost of they put that thing downtown? 

There are already people bemoaning the fact they can’t afford to keep Grandpa’s 1960s season tickets. A downtown stadium would price out even more of the existing season ticket base. 

I had to laugh at this part because this is literally a very common complaint floating around WNY right now...and it is so Buffalo :lol:

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Here's a question for the really old timers.  What was around the stadium area, before it was built?  I'm thinking of Danny's South, Prohibition, O'Neills, Big Tree.  Were they there before the current stadium was built, under different names, or after?  

https://risecollaborative.com/tyler-bagwell/why-orchard-park-in-the-first-place-an-attempt-to-compile-a-short-history-of-the-buffalo-stadium-debate-1954-1973 

1 minute ago, Ojolaffub said:

Great article about the history of how Orchard Park became the site for Rich Stadium 

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ojolaffub said:

That does not answer my question.  Were there bars/restaurants already in the area, or did they come during/after the stadium being built?

46 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That does not answer my question.  Were there bars/restaurants already in the area, or did they come during/after the stadium being built?

Big Tree opened in 1950. Not sure about the others.