Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

18 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I read that several small businesses and property owners around the new stadium are up for sale.  It makes sense that owners are trying to sell their property and land in prime development areas for possibly hundreds of thousands $.   I wish there was a long term vision for the entire area.  Heck, build a cool indoor/outdoor mall type attraction to get people out there year round.  Maybe have tunnels attached to the stadium for inclement weather..  If that comes to fruition, maybe add a light rail line from the airport to whatever they build.  Can they make it a year round destination area?

You make excellent points. The Village of Orchard Park, however, is not as forward-thinking and is not going to allow commercial buildings that will allow what you speak of. 

42 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I read that several small businesses and property owners around the new stadium are up for sale.  It makes sense that owners are trying to sell their property and land in prime development areas for possibly hundreds of thousands $.   I wish there was a long term vision for the entire area.  Heck, build a cool indoor/outdoor mall type attraction to get people out there year round.  Maybe have tunnels attached to the stadium for inclement weather..  If that comes to fruition, maybe add a light rail line from the airport to whatever they build.  Can they make it a year round destination area?

They did something like that in Foxboro. At the end of the day it's still your average shopping center with a couple hotels. It's something, but it's not game changing in anyway. Something actually cool like what they have for Atlanta's baseball stadium I frankly don't think is possible in WNY. Especially out in OP.

41 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Even just a few new, decent hotels and restaurants would be a step up. We usually stay at one of the Hamburg exit hotels off the 90 but the only close post game option to go have a few beers and some food after cleaning up is JP Fitzgerald’s (which I like). I’ll never understand why Waterstone grill and a bunch of other places aren’t open on game day Sundays at least.

As an out of town season ticket holder it would be awesome to have a decent hotel and restaurants within walking distance to hang out at and watch the late games after cleaning up and re grouping. 

31 minutes ago, Draconator said:

You make excellent points. The Village of Orchard Park, however, is not as forward-thinking and is not going to allow commercial buildings that will allow what you speak of. 

More than just Village of OP government NIMBY mentality.  There just isn’t the volume of people to justify extensive development…and when the stadium events do happen, they bring in drunks and crazy's. Not something a business owner wants or needs. 

Edited by LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

More than just Village of OP government NIMBY mentality.  There just isn’t the volume of people to justify extensive development…and when the stadium events do happen, they bring in drunks and crazy's. Not something a business owner wants or needs. 

I see your points. When nothing is happening at the stadium, it's like a rural suburb. But who's to say that a 10-story hotel or shopping could bring in other non-sports fans year-round, making OP more money. I mean, we could finally tear down McKinley Mall and fix the roads around that place. (Talk about potholes!)

6 hours ago, Draconator said:

I see your points. When nothing is happening at the stadium, it's like a rural suburb. But who's to say that a 10-story hotel or shopping could bring in other non-sports fans year-round, making OP more money. I mean, we could finally tear down McKinley Mall and fix the roads around that place. (Talk about potholes!)

I think the simplest thing would be to start with a Bills HoF(adjacent to the new stadium).   Combined with stadium tours, it could be a year round attraction. 

Sadly, I don’t think this is in the works.  
😞

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This has been the biggest road block for people to get their minds around. Buffalo is not Seattle or Atlanta, or even Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville. Stop acting like Buffalo could be successful with the same set-ups.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

Light rail from the airport? Not happening. Way too far. Not to mention there isn’t Jack chit around the airport or in between either. If it was downtown it would have made a ton of sense. But here we are. 

McKinley mall is however going through the transformation of becoming an indoor/outdoor mall/shopping/housing site. As far as I know. That’s the closest option currently. 

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

If only we thought of that before committing to nowhere OP and actually built the stadium downtown Buffalo where “some” things actually do happen 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2024 at 1:12 PM, LabattBlue said:

I think the simplest thing would be to start with a Bills HoF(adjacent to the new stadium).   Combined with stadium tours, it could be a year round attraction. 

Sadly, I don’t think this is in the works.  
😞

I took a tour of Denver's stadium and the little Sports Hall of Fame they have there. 6 people on the tour. 4 of them were my family. I don't think we moved the economic needle for downtown Denver that day.

23 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I wonder if they'll offer tours.  

Probably. Not free, but probably. It's a pretty standard thing these days.  The primary thing I learned from taking Denver's tour was to never ever ever order a draft beer there.  They showed us how they get the beer up to the concessions stands via huge lines from centralized locations throughout the stadium basement area.  Huge long lines. A beer you get in the upper deck came from a central refrigerated room on the bottom level via a very very long line stretching from point A to point B. There is no way they actually get those lines clean.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:23 PM, That's No Moon said:

Probably. Not free, but probably. It's a pretty standard thing these days.  The primary thing I learned from taking Denver's tour was to never ever ever order a draft beer there.  They showed us how they get the beer up to the concessions stands via huge lines from centralized locations throughout the stadium basement area.  Huge long lines. A beer you get in the upper deck came from a central refrigerated room on the bottom level via a very very long line stretching from point A to point B. There is no way they actually get those lines clean.

I know you can do tours of Highmark currently.  Cost is $32-$38/person.  I imagine they'll do the same at the new stadium, but I think getting in there will be a lot more difficult.

Highmark Stadium Tours & Experiences | Buffalo Bills - buffalobills.com

On 7/27/2024 at 12:54 PM, Draconator said:

why would anyone go year round to a rural suburb to shop?  why would anyone build a 10 story hotel there on spec?

developers have already considered all options--if there was money to be made all of this would exist already.

malls?  what year is this--1985?

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why would anyone go year round to a rural suburb to shop?  why would anyone build a 10 story hotel there on spec?

developers have already considered all options--if there was money to be made all of this would exist already.

malls?  what year is this--1985?

Doesn't matter what they do, as long as they do something more than what their history tells us.