Anyone got any good ways of killing poison ivy

Yeah I'm for real.  Kent14 is saying that his Dr. told him not to do this, but I have done it plenty of times and it's worked for me with no side effects.  It hurts like a bastard, but it dries it right up and your itch will be gone.  If you decide to do it just remember to scratch it up real good before you pour the bleach in.

346804[/snapback]

I have this vision of you in the forest, scratching the crap out of your arm and chomping down on a leather belt, screaming internally as you pour a capful of Clorox 2 with fabric softener on your rash.

I have this vision of you in the forest, scratching the crap out of your arm and chomping down on a leather belt, screaming internally as you pour a capful of Clorox 2 with fabric softener on your rash.

346814[/snapback]

:lol:

It's not THAT bad. What a weird day it's become. I seem to have become some kind of advocate for the bleach industry. Oh well weekend starts in 45 min.

Thanks for the head's up, but I'll keep doing it when I get poison ivy.  I've never had any problem with my skin afterwards.  Of course now that I've said this next time a limb will probably fall off. 

That's actually a good site that you found.  Very informative and one of the rare places that I have seen that gets all the facts about poison ivy correct.

346811[/snapback]

Glad to hear it's a good site - just a google shot-in-the-dark, Doc!

Out here in the west it's poison oak, not poison ivy that is the problem. It looks just like elderberries, but elderberries have thorns on the stems. It can look like a vine or a bush and even the bare twigs can spread it.

The oil is the problem, causing a reaction with the skin. It doesn't affect dogs, so they can roll in it with no problems. You pet the dog-you've got it.

I geocache, which involves hiking in the woods loking for stuff. The people in my area say Technu is good. Rub it on your skin within 2-3 hours of exposure (and before the rash starts) and then wash it off-it is supposed to draw the oils out.

Whatever you do, DON'T BURN IT! It aerosolizes the oil and you could have the rash IN your lungs-very bad news.

wifey got a real bad case, i seem to be immune but it is all over our back yard and unfortunately within 5 feet of my veggie/herb garden.

I don't have a good way to get rid of the plant, but I have a good way to get rid of the rash.  But it takes some balls. 

346782[/snapback]

Does wifey have balls? If so, you have bigger problems than poison ivy! :lol::P

wifey got a real bad case, i seem to be immune but it is all over our back yard and unfortunately within 5 feet of my veggie/herb garden.  any tried and true techniques would be welcome, short of bush-hogging the entire back yard, we have heavy vegetation for about 20-30 yards backing up to main road.  thanks in advance.

346768[/snapback]

Don't brush-hog - You'll throw all kinds of ivy juice into the air -

If Round-Up doesn't work (it should) talk to your county extention service or a pro gardener

I don't have a good way to get rid of the plant, but I have a good way to get rid of the rash.  But it takes some balls.  Itch up the rash so it's nice and raw.  Then pour bleach over it.  It's excrutiating at first, but the itch goes away and the ras will clear up in a couple of days.  I used to use this technique when I used to work outside.  I found the pain preferable to sitting there itching for days.

346782[/snapback]

I do the same thing. Last time a got it, I itched it until it bled. It sounds awful, but it isn't. It feels great too. Then make sure you clean it off really well. Then, I poured rubbing alcohol all over it afterwards. Stung a bit, but that went away quick. Let it breathe too, don't bandage it right away. Let it scab over. It clears up just like a cut. Way way better than sitting around for over a week in agony itching and not being able to sleep. And there is no scarring.

Obviously, if you have it on your face, you can't do that.

Definitly a thread I can relate to as I have gotten poison ivy what seems like every year like clock work. Always near the beginning of june. I know all the medications and at first sign now I go to the doc and get a prescription for the steroid pills and it clears up in a few days. To Stop the itch I take hot showers. The hottest water your skin to stand and it always works stops the itch for hours at a time. However be fair warned some people complain about this method cause it can cause spreading of the oils, however I haven't had the problem.

I also take vitamin c pills, 2000 mg's every 2 hours, and up to 10,000 mg's during the course of the day. I found this method due to the antioxidant and the ability to boost the immune system drys out the rash.

I never tried the bleech method, and I won't, but I have used deodorant sticks to rub over the rash to dry it out. However after you do that don't use that stick for your pits anymore :lol:

I'd advise if you get the rash get to a doctor get the cortisol shot and a prescription for the pills. That or try using natrual supplements. Plenty of warm showers and high doses of vitamin c throughout the day. This method has worked for some as some people who do this no longer get the rash. I guess they build an immunity.

However I don't know how to get rid of the plant. I'd advise getting a landscaper and not doing it yourself

If you are looking for a non synthetic chemical altermative for dealing with posion ivy or anything you fancy to be a pest (flora or fauna) I would give a call to a group called Beyond Pesticides at (202) 543-5450.

Though based in DC Beyond Pesticides is definitely a grassroots based group working with folks across the country.

I have had good dealings with them because as a group that deals with the Capitol Hill and the federal regulatory morass they have a very good conection to science on the issue of pest control.

They educated me about a lot of non-chemical alternatives for dealing with pest issues from ants, to rodents to stuff we define as weeds. Chemical companies like Monsanto are happy to take your money for a product like Round-uo, though often what your paying for is the large dollars they spend advertising the product (usually with somebody in a cowboy suit carrying the Round-up in a holster as he faces down some deadly plant).

It sometimes is the case that a much cheaper common household substance like bleach or lemon juice can be applied to the pest and solve your problem in a cheap way.

Beyond Pesticides has the name of several books on non-synthetic chemical alternatives which can give you something to choose from.

I'm not an expert on either treatment or erradication. I seem to be one of the lucky one's in having no apparent sensitivity to it. I fell in a patch of it once wearing only shorts. Never had a reaction. I think I would avoid the bleach tratment if I did have it though. A thorough shower sounds like a great idea followed by generous use of Caladryl, a variation of Calamine lotion that contains the antihistamine diphenhydramine in topical form. Seems like that stands an excellent chance of controlling symptoms.

The problem with using Roundup to kill it in your yard is the fact that it will kill everything. You'll have to srat growing your lawn from scratch, That's OK but it's going to take some time. I'd ask an extension agent about control. My guess is that a good broadleaf specific herbicide like you'd find in a Scot's weed and feed lawn product would let you get a leg up on it. It might take more than one application over time, but it could work.