Lamar and the Ravens reach a deal

Draconator

25 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Honestly I wouldn't have paid him.  He didn't play in the playoffs last season and absolutely could have.  Not a team player.

So if he could which you have no idea if he could, he should risk a career ending injury for a team that won’t pay him? That would be your advice to a family member in his situation? This isn’t the 50s anymore. This is life changing money. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, appoo said:

If you’re Mahomes and his agent they should be throwing a riot right about now 

You are applying "regular player" logic to QBs. This doesnt happen among the highly paid QBs. They get their big deals and wait their turn for the next one. If they all started ripping up deals right away, the owners would stop signing the big QB deals.

Give examples.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he could which you have no idea if he could, he should risk a career ending injury for a team that won’t pay him? That would be your advice to a family member in his situation? This isn’t the 50s anymore. This is life changing money. 

The team was willing to pay him. Theyve always been willing to pay him a HUGE deal, top of the league. It was only structure and guarantees they didnt agree to.

If I was Lamar's family member, and so concerned over his wealth vs health, I wouldve told him to sign the offer back in 2021. So he could be sitting on over $50M AND play in that playoff game last year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He didnt do anything special or smart. Other than decide to be a QB when he was a kid. He is making more money now simply because time passed and life happened as normal.

He didnt get his demands, and he took the standard "next QB in line" contract. Good for him that it was a higher amount than when he started. As it should be.

But he caved after he was granted permission to seek a trade and found no market. And after he was tagged and found no market.

I dont have any ill will towards Lamar. I'm actually really happy for him that he got paid. Finally. But from a business stand point, he was far more lucky than smart. And that's fine.

Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, etc will all sign bigger contracts. It isnt because they are better at negotiations. It's because they are next in line.

Come on Doc. He earned it by winning a Heisman, winning a MVP when morons like Polian said he couldn’t play qb, making the playoffs every year he’s healthy. And he got his deal and never missed a game this season. Fans love overreacting.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He didnt do anything special or smart. Other than decide to be a QB when he was a kid. He is making more money now simply because time passed and life happened as normal.

He didnt get his demands, and he took the standard "next QB in line" contract. Good for him that it was a higher amount than when he started. As it should be.

But he caved after he was granted permission to seek a trade and found no market. And after he was tagged and found no market.

I dont have any ill will towards Lamar. I'm actually really happy for him that he got paid. Finally. But from a business stand point, he was far more lucky than smart. And that's fine.

Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, etc will all sign bigger contracts. It isnt because they are better at negotiations. It's because they are next in line.

So signing for a lot more money than he could have last year, becoming the highest paid NFL player ever (as of today) and doing it all without an agent or paying their commissions isn’t anything special or smart? You’re certainly welcome to that opinion. I think he did pretty damn well. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The team was willing to pay him. Theyve always been willing to pay him a HUGE deal, top of the league. It was only structure and guarantees they didnt agree to.

If I was Lamar's family member, and so concerned over his wealth vs health, I wouldve told him to sign the offer back in 2021. So he could be sitting on over $50M AND play in that playoff game last year.

Worked pretty well I’d say. Guess what, star qbs have all the leverage. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Come on Doc. He earned it by winning a Heisman, winning a MVP when morons like Polian said he couldn’t play qb, making the playoffs every year he’s healthy. And he got his deal and never missed a game this season. Fans love overreacting.

That isnt the discussion we were having. We arent discussing whether he earned the standard NFL Franchise QB contract. Of course he did. Good for him.

We're discussing whether all this drama and holding out got him anything extra. We're discussing whether it was his master business prowess and negotiation skills that got him this deal or not.

And my stance is, he didnt do anything special in these contract negotiations to get "more money". His tactics practically cost him money. And he didnt get his demands.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Worked pretty well I’d say. Guess what, star qbs have all the leverage. 

Worked well?

He just accepted a deal with less guaranteed money than they offered him last year. And he lost at least 1 full year of contract, so he will be waiting for a new fat contract 1 year longer than he had to.

He played himself.

Of course, he probably saw the writing on the wall after a grand total of 0 teams wanted him this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

So signing for a lot more money than he could have last year, becoming the highest paid NFL player ever (as of today) and doing it all without an agent or paying their commissions isn’t anything special or smart? You’re certainly welcome to that opinion. I think he did pretty damn well. 

I promise his mom is taking more than $5M :lol:

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Worked pretty well I’d say. Guess what, star qbs have all the leverage

Right. He used the standard QB leverage and got nothing extra like he wanted. He went all the way to the end point of that leverage and then had to come back to reality.

41 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thing is.. Hines is still overpaid compared to some of the FA deals we saw last month…

If you aren’t a “name” then don’t expect much..: Beane signing everyone for $1.7M …Rapp for one was expected to get a lot more…

Its still a lot of money to play a game though…

That Rapp signing was most unexpected, as were some of the other low money deals.
QBs are exempt it seems. Geno gets $35M per, Daniel Jones is at $40M, Carr… can’t remember what he got but I know he wasn’t worth it. Moral of the story: groom your kids to be QBs!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

People called him a Moron for wanting a fully guaranteed deal. Not for wanting to get a new deal

Almost like it was a negotiation.  All of the amateur agents around here were ripping him for not signing the 5 year deal with $133 million guaranteed.  Lamar is smarter than those people.

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Almost like it was a negotiation.  All of the amateur agents around here were ripping him for not signing the 5 year deal with $133 million guaranteed.  Lamar is smarter than those people.

It was 3 years $133 million guaranteed. Not 5 years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh? A team that wouldnt pay him?

They offered him $200M guaranteed before that season!

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

No, it was 3 years, $133M fully guaranteed. Which would have been up for renewal sooner. And likely would have been the best deal over all.

He got $185M guaranteed over 5 years. Had he taken the 3/$133M, he would have been up for renewal 2 years earlier. And as long as his new, new deal covers that $50M over 2 years gap, he's ahead of the game.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Here we go again.

https://sports.yahoo.com/around-north-ravens-offer-lamar-204151599.html#:~:text=Browns Wire-,Around the North%3A Ravens offer to Lamar,includes %24200 million in guarantees&text=In more news around the,includes %24200 million in guarantees.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

No, it was 3 years, $133M fully guaranteed. Which would have been up for renewal sooner. And likely would have been the best deal over all.

Yeah he ended up taking a worse deal.

Likely because he lost leverage when no other team wanted him.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You guys are talking about 2 different Raven offers.  The fully guaranteed was 3 years.  He had an offer right after Josh signed that he 

turned down too.

1 hour ago, colin said:

i think getting rid of greg roman is gonna prove to be a big mistake for the team.  I could see jackson getting some stats w obj there, but i think they will not be as good of an o without greg to run it.

Depends if you think it was Roman who could not evolve his game plans or Jackson not evolve from being a run first QB.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

5yr$260mil…

Lamar Jackson, Ravens agree to 5-year extension worth reported $260M with $185M guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

YOU JUST KEEP GETTING THERE AHEAD OF ME!!!   😂 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.